Parking price hike.

cubwolf

Long story, but I've not been to a park for years...yes, I know.

Anyway, I think it's an utter p1ss take that parks think it's acceptable to charge for parking, it's not as if the car parks are close enough to town centres to be used by randomers going to town shopping.
Blackpool is different because it's part of the town and parking is limited anyway, but why should you have to pay to park your car in the middle of a forest, especially when they're asking £56 to get into the place.

Tom.

£15 for a gravel pit to park that has barely changed since they introduced park is frankly embarrassing. I know it’s £8 in advance but it has honestly got to be one of the worst parks to park in currently. 

Surw the American parks charge a lot too to park, but at least they probably maintain their parking areas properly.

48 minutes ago, Loggers Creek said:

£15 for a gravel pit to park that has barely changed since they introduced park is frankly embarrassing. I know it’s £8 in advance but it has honestly got to be one of the worst parks to park in currently. 

Surw the American parks charge a lot too to park, but at least they probably maintain their parking areas properly.

Chessington says hello ;)

People assume that this is a cash grab - but in reality it has more to do with discouraging driving to the park because the local roads are already stretched... Future developments such as rollercoasters will always have an increase in traffic accounted for within the planning application and at some point Runnymead Council will have a tipping point to saying "no" because the local infrastructure can't cope with an increase. So, how do you curb that and keep it below that tipping point....? Discourage driving and promote free transport from public transport hubs...

28 minutes ago, EpicSmatty said:

Chessington says hello ;)

Chesington at £3 is a bargain especially since they claim at least 10% goes to the Chessington Conservation Fund, I’d have no issue paying that £3.

The Thorpe money brings us the ultra  successful additions like Love Island, Walking Dead, and for 2019 jungle maze and an inflatable.

The gravel car park is to help with drainage. Sustainable urban drainage systems will often use gravel to slow down the rate water enters the ground and sewage systems as well as lakes and rivers. If the car park were to be tarmac then it would need significant drainage systems put in place which would cost a fortune for very little reward.

The price hike seems to be money grabbing in the name of sustainable travel. If they want to encourage sustainable transport then they should use the car park money to improve public transport to the park. 

5 hours ago, Loggers Creek said:

There are much much worse car parks around than at Thorpe!

4 hours ago, Coaster said:

How long before they remove the perk of free parking for the premium MAPs?

Probably a long time - expect it’s one of the major attractions of the premium upgrade to many!

4 minutes ago, Marc said:

There are much much worse car parks around than at Thorpe!

Probably a long time - expect it’s one of the major attractions of the premium upgrade to many!

Yes, but its. Still a valid point! That gravel end of the car park has remained the same for a few decades, bar taking out the wooden dividers! 

Actually they did refurbish the tarmaced section last year! 

I remember at the end of a rainy Fright Nights day last year, the car park being waterlogged and having to retrieve my car from a huge puddle (meaning wet shoes were the only option).

Horrendous that they charge £15 for a car park that can't even drain properly.

1 minute ago, Coaster said:

I remember at the end of a rainy Fright Nights day last year, the car park being waterlogged and having to retrieve my car from a huge puddle (meaning wet shoes were the only option).

Horrendous that they charge £15 for a car park that can't even drain properly.

The whole park does that to be fair I’m not sure what they can really do - you only need to dig a few foot down till you hit water (I remember the holes for the TVs were full of water!) it’s just the land the park isn’t on I guess.

Save time when you book your Car Parking online.

• £10 when you pay at the exit barriers
  • £8 when you buy from The Island Ticket Centre
  • £7 when you buy online in advance or on the day

It's changed already. I enjoyed the outrage though.

Maybe they realised it was perhaps a bit too much? That or they just hadn't updated since Fright Nights properly.

I guess the thing to always keep in mind is that it is now technically £7 to park. Any higher prices are there to deter people from taking more time from staff, who could be doing other things, or taking more time at the barrier, which makes it longer for everyone to get out.

£7 is still a lot to pay, given the quality of the car park. And I don't believe Thorpe can really change the gravel car park - it has to remain gravel due to the location near the lake and act as flood relief effectively (or something like that I think?). So they need to strike a balance of charging the right amount for the quality of it.

On 3/7/2019 at 5:01 PM, Project LC said:

The price hike seems to be money grabbing in the name of sustainable travel. If they want to encourage sustainable transport then they should use the car park money to improve public transport to the park. 

The thing is: Thorpe Park has some of the best public transport links of any UK parks. Only Blackpool (City Centre park with trams and buses) and Chessington (Train station and multiple bus routes) are better. Having a park a 10 minute bus shuttle from a train station on one of the mainlines near one of the worlds biggest cities is something many parks would kill for.

I think it's acceptable to charge decent money for parking to discourage it. As others have mentioned: most US parks charge way more and have little/no public transportation. £15 is maybe too much but that's really an idiot tax for paying at the barriers and not online/ticket machines.