Parking price hike.

cubwolf

7 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

I still think they should put the barriers at the entrance to stop the 1hr+ gridlock to get out on busy days.

But then surely you just get the one hour gridlock at the start of the day?

Plus Thorpe's car park isn't really designed to cope with that sort of system.

6 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

It isn't designed for it no, but it really wouldn't be that difficult to change, but we all know they wouldn't change it. 

The pay as you go in works very well in many parks abroad. 

From my eyes, it would be difficult to change though?

Where would they put the pay point? I guess you could put it at the corner of the gravel car park, but then whenever it's slightly busy, the queue will be going out of the park and onto the main roads (something which happens now, so that would be amplified significantly). It would be chaotic most of the time.

I'm also not sure how people would react to the whole idea of paying straight away. Many complaints about Thorpe/Merlin are about value for money and how people feel like they're being bled dry. Whilst not having to pay as you leave takes the sting out at the end of the day, it can set people up for feeling like they're shelling out from the moment they arrive. Dangerous game for Thorpe to play.

In my experience from parks abroad getting you to pay on arrival, they have plenty of space in their car park for cars to queue, enough leeway outside the park in case of super busy periods and, most importantly, people are less faffy and just generally more efficient. 

I just don't see how Thorpe can modify the car park (whilst not significantly reducing the amount of gravel or grass) to make a pay on entry system work.

Yes I was thinking in the furthest corner, but certainly a valid point regarding traffic spilling onto the road. If it had a long dedicated road like some of those parks abroad that pay on entry it would be easier. 

Putting a contactless reader on the barrier ticket machine would reduce the hold ups that the car park regularly gets due to people having not paid. 

Yep, I'm thinking the opposite corner right at the back. the entrance road already goes down there. People arrive throughout the day but everyone leaves at once when the park shuts. Have a big corner plaza with lots of barriers.

Or you know, make it free and not have any barriers. That would cure the gridlock and stop them having to call the police to manage the carpark during Fright Nights!

I don't believe Thorpe can do any major works to the car park (especially that corner area). Under that assumption, they'd be lucky to get three barriers there.. During the peak time for arrival, 9-10.30am, it'll still be busy and creating major backlog. 

22 minutes ago, Stuntman707 said:

Or you know, make it free and not have any barriers. That would cure the gridlock and stop them having to call the police to manage the carpark during Fright Nights!

How will that make any difference? Instead of queueing to leave the barrier, you'll queue to leave the park at the roundabout. And instead of having 4 lanes to choose from to leave, you'll have 2. It'll be just as bad, and cause more issues on the roads outside the park.

The simplest thing would be ANPR on entry, self serv ticket machine that let you pay the fee, pay via app etc. 

To control the flow of exit traffic stop go traffic lights that alternate a set time allow the roundabout to clear. 

Only thing that would need working on is how to securely allow pass holders to use it without letting them continually change vehicles (to stop card sharing when they aren’t visiting)

Of course that would need investment but Merlin could recoup that with fine for non payment. 

The introduction of ANPR would require full compliance with the British parking association regulations. This would involve paying monthly membership fees as well as getting the car park up to standard. There would be a massive increase in admin only to result in damage in brand reputation as they start issuing fines for people who don't pay. ANPR is not the solution.

11 minutes ago, Project LC said:

The introduction of ANPR would require full compliance with the British parking association regulations. This would involve paying monthly membership fees as well as getting the car park up to standard. There would be a massive increase in admin only to result in damage in brand reputation as they start issuing fines for people who don't pay. ANPR is not the solution.

There are different options anpr barriers is an option link an annual pass to a specific reg and it automatically opens. Same with online and onthe day tickets provide the reg , it would speed up the current barrier system.

Another option is pure anpr

It depends if they got an operator in to manage the car park in that sence, I'm very anti car park management companies, some are ok others are robbing *********.  

Ultimatly when the park is busy people are too quick to forget before charges were introduced at thorpe that you could queue for 2h to get out.

• 2 months later...

ANPR is the answer.  Well, partially.  Saw loads of people struggling with their phone, trying to get the barcode scanned - hopeless, even on a quiet day.  Entering your reg when buying a parking ticket on-line would allow the barrier to open automatically via ANPR.  Paper parking tickets and APs are easier to scan, so no problems there.

What annoys me most is that there's no-one to wash my car!  I'd happily pay an extra £7 to get my car washed whilst I ride, parking my car in the "preferential car-wash parking" spaces.  Not rocket science to implement and creates employment for a few extra people.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, ComputerGuy said:

What annoys me most is that there's no-one to wash my car!  I'd happily pay an extra £7 to get my car washed whilst I ride, parking my car in the "preferential car-wash parking" spaces.  Not rocket science to implement and creates employment for a few extra people.  

You're not serious about this are you?