Park Theming & Effects

richy2001

when I started this I wernt expectin it to turn out like this!!I didnt mean that every ride shold be themed if its lookin old, that may be the effect, I dunno???but just the ones that have NO theming at all, like zodiac atm!I honestly cannot think of another ride thats not got theming in 1 way or another?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YEH! Let's all blame Rich ;)*Points finger* haha.I think it's just the fact that we're all really similar people, and we're all so passionate about the same thing. Mix that together and you get fireworks.we all want our point of view to be heard and sometimes this can cloud our vision of the other person's point.I do aggree with you Rich, 100%. The thing is with this kind of discussion id that it'll go around in circles as people will be like "they need to, but they won't," and then someone else will come along and go "but they should, and need to".The thing is, if we all aggreed then there wouldn't be any discussion, but at the rate we're going at, the thread just seems to be revolving on itself- which is also very boring.Either way, it's been good to actually have a proper discussion on TPM, I've really enjoyed it, so in actual fact, we should thank you Rich for making a thread that's struck a nerve with many people.More like this I say! (but be nice) ;)

also, now the farm has gone, are they goin to design a new area? like amity cove or sumthin like that?? and by having the larger area for rides, it will attract more paying people, but that could be bad for queueing times?>?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As you may have seen, Thorpe Park have been doing a lot of infilling. Thorpe are making some new islands around the lake, which will be new areas.

Well we'll have to wait and see about the themes and also how it will be connected.It will probably be one of the first projects that Merlin will be involved in from the start, so it will be interesting to see the quality.Although a part of me wants to be cynical and suggest a concrete theme for the new lands?

Edited by Sheepie

Just to put a point across. Parks don't need to add theming everyone who has said that is correct. However wouldn't you prefer to visit somewhere that tries to take you away from the ordinary and immerse you. Lets compare the Runaway Train at Chessington (or even Alpine Express at Europa Park, Colorado Express at Phantasialand or Runaway Mine Train at Alton) against the Flying Fish re-added this year. Flying Fish is a terrible ride in all honesty. The hill embankments saved the ride 3 years ago however now thsi fish is flying above sand and empty ponds. Not really setting things alight. The other 4 rides yes are different themes but are excelling rides. They travel through caverns, around things and are more then just track plonked on a piece of land wit the smallest bit of stylisation added. Anyway my two cents are that Thorpe doesn't need to theme. It never will be a competing world beating park so why should they waste their money on theme.

The Fish was just too rushed. It had never been in thorpes plans, but when families demanded it back, they really didnt have much time to get everything going. Yes I'm still agreeing the Fish has an amazing lack of theming though, I'm just making a point, if you want a ride to have an amzing amount of theming eg Black Mamba, youd have to know something like it was coming, way way back before it happens.

I think the only reson they brought it back was because it was the first coaster introduced by tussauds I think?so its got a lot of history behind it?the last time I went, it still wasnt open and they had a digger making this massive hole right next to it? god knows why?also because its not fast, so its ideal for family groups with yonger kids?I think the rides fine where it is, and I can understand why they put it back, but theres really nothing to it? more attention needed to the area around it I think

The Flying Fish is now in it's third incarnation; it first started out its days in 1983 when it was an indoor attraction- known as Space Station Zero. After 6 years it was rethemed into the Flying Fish, in 1989.It was the first coaster introduced by previous owners, RMC.It was removed at the end of the 2004 season to make way for the construction of Stealth.The entrance could be found just beside to where the teacups are.Now the ride is a former shadow of itself (common trend when Tussauds get their mits on it) when Tussauds reintroduced it this year.Totally agree with you Rich about the area- it's a shambles. ;) Personally, I'd love for Thorpe to make a statement, and decide whether they want to become an amusement park, or a theme park. At the moment I think they're pretending to be something they're not- which is causing us fans to be so harsh on them! ;) To a certain extent we could argue that they made the desicion to become an amusement park when they brought the Fish in this year- as that has literally NO themeing at all. Heck, I think it made the statement way back in 2004.This means that they don't need to spend ANY on themeing, and just make sure it looks clean (and probably clinical). And as a result, we would see a little more being spent on the ride itself.

I see what you mean and I totally agree!I think that they shouldnt have brought it back this year, its had its day and now its only at TP because it holds some of the parks heritage!the least they could do when they brought it back was to change it, or try to fit it in with the other rides around that section of the park, it looks out of place where it is currently? not to mention the ugly fluorescent (sp?) orange that they've painted the train!I think they forgot, nearly everyhting else in the area is blue! it looks wrong!

I used to think exactly the same way as you Marc, and it annoyed me when I saw people 'slagging off' Tussauds. I used to think that I was being diplomatic, and fair to them.With hindsight I realize that I was just being naive.With all fairness, it's not the park in particular- it's Tussauds.But everyone calm down, there's no need to slag off Tussauds anymore; we can slag off Merlin instead :)

Heh I&#39;m not pissed off, everyones entitled to there own opinion of course, just things like fish imo are fine with out all the extra stuff, I still have great fun on the thing, and to be fair never really expected much after the 12 million spent on stealth.

I agree with everything said so far, but even thought they spent 12million pound on stealth, I'm sure they've got enough left, just to add a little touch to the surrounding scenery?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they dont need to spend anything else on it, thats the point. people are happy with how it is, so they dont have any desire to theme it because it'll be a waste.