Park Theming & Effects

richy2001

it ain't broke, don't fix it

That phrase annoys me so much. The thing is, Thorpe really don't have that attitude; well they do, but there's lots of things that they've changed that really didn't need to be. The problem is Thorpe apply that phrase to the wrong circumstances.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That phrase annoys me so much. The thing is, Thorpe really don't have that attitude; well they do, but there's lots of things that they've changed that really didn't need to be. The problem is Thorpe apply that phrase to the wrong circumstances.

If Thorpe don't have that attitude at all then explain to me why nothing around Tidal wave works. The water tower, the traffic lights, the entrance sign. They are guilty as the other parks when it comes to leaving things turned off.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why should they anyway?

Because it adds something to someones day. Immersiveness and all that jazz.. and about blue theming the only rides Tussauds have added in 10 years now that have no blue on them are Tidal Wave, Inferno and Slammer... :)

It would only add to our day, people that visit less then we do or once every year are not going to notice or care tbh....we only care because we visit so often that we notice these things, we've also done the research so we know these things can be done.

Speak for yourself. I don't go anymore but take your example when I went to Phantasialand and if all there was on Mamba was a black and brown ride with no buildings, no waterfalls, no tunnels, no music or interesting lighting then Black Mamba would have been a very bland ride with nothing special. Thats the trouble with this you have to stop thinking that one time visitors notice nothing because they do. If you send a train on Inferno without the mist then everyone knows you're going through a shed. If its full of mist and red lights you believe its the depths of a volcano (to some extent).

If Thorpe don't have that attitude at all then explain to me why nothing around Tidal wave works. The water tower, the traffic lights, the entrance sign. They are guilty as the other parks when it comes to leaving things turned off.

I know they're very guilty indeed, and as I said (or was at- least trying to vent across to people in my previous post, Thorpe only seem to try new things where it will benefit them directly. And I think you've misread my post, as I was actually giving the park some negative feedback.

It would only add to our day, people that visit less then we do or once every year are not going to notice or care tbh....we only care because we visit so often that we notice these things, we've also done the research so we know these things can be done.

It's not just our day that it improves! The amount of people that say whilst in the queue for Inferno "oh, why aren't those water gun thingys working- they were so cool," and, " and remember those light things in the tunnel- they were awesome."Yet more evidence is my auntie, she only goes to a theme park once a year. Last year after a day at Thorpe she was so underwhelmed, and, using her words "It's like an outdoor warehouse".We went to Chessington the other week, and she said "wow, this reminds me a little of the States".Ok, so that might be a little too generous for Chessington, but it just goes to show really. And for even more evidence- she enjoyed Chessington so much that she's taking me again on Saturday, and also taking her husband too.I could list all the once great effects at Thorpe, and give you reactions of people, but we could be here for a while. But, in conclusion, they really do add to people's days.

Have you been drinking Cringle m'dear? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Howd ya notice? :) Anyway, to Cringles point (:|), yes I s'pose Phantasia land would spend jillions on theming, and they still do, and yet, thorpe right now seems to be going for more rides to be added, which is annoying me, as right now Thorpe can calm down a bit, considering that they have added a new ride or more than one ride a year.Actually, I'm a person who doesnt always look out at theming, and if its rubbish, start badmouthing it and the whole park, I'm a person who just enjoys a ride for what it is, and what is there instead of saying what isnt there. Look at Samurai, there is NO theming. Look at Slammer...NO theming, and I love these 2 rides for wwhat they are, instead of what they arent.

Look at Samurai, there is NO theming. Look at Slammer...NO theming, and I love these 2 rides for wwhat they are, instead of what they arent.

You just proved my point as they are both nothing special. Theming may have pushed them beyond the port of call. Instead they are just coloured.

Theming; does it matter?

I have been an Enthusiast for over a year now; the first park of mine was Thorpe Park, with my very first coaster ever, being Stealth. Crazy, I know, but hey. I found SouthParks in July 2006, joining a few days later.My first trip was amazing. I did not care one bit about Theming, bar the Tidal Wave theming. Joining SouthParks didn't give me much of an insight, but some people I met off of SP did. Theming appeared to me as not essential, and nothing much. After regularly reading Theme Park Review, and the regular photo Trip Reports arriving, I saw what theming meant, and how much Thorpe lacked. I didn't think much of theming, still, until June 2007. My first trip to Alton Towers.Arriving at the Car Park, I saw the Splash Landings sign, which looked pretty well detailed. It went through the day, and at the end of the day, after experiencing proper theming, we ventured into Splash Landings bar for an after park drink. We took our drink, after walking through the heavily detailed corridors, themed down to the carpet.Looking into Cariba Creek waterpark, I was amazed. Everywhere you look; there is something else to look at. Everything is themed. The facades, the waterguns, the total interactivity of the place. This brings me onto my next park, Chessington. Following my first park visit, I thought it was piss poor, and the rides where crap. Then I went with people from TPM, and this was the visit, where it was truly magical. The theming of the whole park is amazing, extremely immersive.Thinking about my recent visits to Thorpe, I have shown myself how wrong I was about theming meaning nothing. Look at Stealth for example, 205ft high, 0-80 is 2 seconds. Themed? Not really. If you think a radio booth, with a DJ that is obviously dead, 2 themed buildings, and a crappy 'racetrack' theme; it's appauling to say the least.And for the 09 coaster. This may be the only thing that may keep my interest of Thorpe existent. If it is not an Air clone, and has an amazing ride in it, and properly themed, then I will be happy. If not, then my business will not be at Thorpe anymoreTo my last point, a line I heard from a rides and attractions member this year:You cannot have the thrills without having the experience.Sebastian.