Hi has anyone gone on there own as they like theme park rides

Fern

Question

Hi all I'm either going to thorpe park alone or if someone will allow me to hangout with them as I haven't got any friends or family that will go , I'm hoping someone will allow me to hang with them I'm 33 and bubbly female 

8 answers to this question

Hi all I'm either going to thorpe park alone or if someone will allow me to hangout with them as I haven't got any friends or family that will go , I'm hoping someone will allow me to hang with them I'm 33 and bubbly female 

I've done Thorpe a couple times by myself. Had got an annual pass for a birthday one year. You get on rides fairly quick but I dunno if this is the case anymore as I haven't been in years. I'm sure someone here would be up for going along with you.

Hello Fern! There's nothing wrong with going alone; I've done park on my own before now and have had a decent time. There can be advantages as you can just get on with doing exactly what you want rather than the faff of deciding what to do next, but I'd agree it's better to do it with others. 

We do have organised meets here on the forum which can be a great way to visit with others, they're great fun and everyone is welcome but it is a good idea to try to use the forums to get to 'know' a few people before hand. Hopefully we'll see you there!

I went on my own for the first time not long ago and I plan to again on Thursday. If you manage to go on a weekday the park is almost always dead (apart from if they run Swarm on one train and you end up queueing 45 minutes from just next to the baggage collection) and most rides are walk on, meaning you can get alot of rides done quickly.

Personally, being at Thorpe with no friends was one of the worst experiences of my life. It was a school trip last year to reward all the good kids at school (no idea how I got in) and as the only year eleven on the coach, I realised there was literally no one to go on the rides with. I ended up going on about three rides, then sat in the dome for a while until the time came to go home. Never again. I felt humiliated in front of the younger, cooler students and the pitiful teachers. I like having someone to talk to in the queues.

That said, even though I felt it’s not for me, it doesn’t mean you won’t enjoy going alone! There’s a boy at my college now who goes afterwards near enough every day, and he seems to love it! Bring a book or some music for the queues and you should be set! 

Personally, I love it. I frequently go on my own.. Probably because I'm a billy-no-mates who likes rides a little too much haha. As Pluk says above, you can just get on with your day and selfishly do Thorpe in your own way, own time, without any politeness needed. Want to go on Swarm? Go. Want food? Go. Want the loo? Go. Want to go home at midday? Go.

Eventually, if you go enough, the staff will recognise you and you'll end up making "friends" with them and your day doesn't feel as lonely or empty any more. There's one particularly great lady dispatching Detonator at the moment, who I'm sure must think "God, do you have nothing better to do than come on your own?" but she always says hi and recognises you.

If you people watch, you will also find loads of others that are there on their own too and suddenly being there on your own isn't embarrassing or pathetic any more.. The parks are also trained on how to spot and look after lone guests (once they have determined that you're not a threat in any way). so even though you won't know it, staff will have your back.

Hope you enjoy your lone day! :)

I’ve been a few times by myself when my ex worked at the park - felt really self conscious at first but then thought “sod it” - people are too busy to probably even notice if you’re by yourself (though going on Loggers (RIP) alone can be a tad embarrassing.

Join in the discussions here and get to some meets - I’ve made some amazing mates through this site and at meet ups.  I first went to meets aged 32 and my age never felt like an issue (maybe cos I’m a big kid) - I’ve not been to a meet up for a while for personal reasons but hope to get back to it soon.  The guys and girls here are lovely and very welcoming 

I've been quite a few times now by my self. As people have said, first time you feel a bit self conscious, but after that its fine. I've found that you notice the single people more when your on your own.

Worst part is big queues, can get a bit boring. I just make sure my phone is fully charged or take my kindle. And generally people around will chat anyway.

Just go and enjoy your self