BounceZilla

StevenVig

I did it today. It's fun. I mean it's a bloody bouncy castle course, of course it's going to be fun.

But it looks awful, the soundtrack is cringey (think cringey pop songs mashed together poorly and an annoying American-style voiceover), it isn't what Thorpe need right now (or ever tbh), feels out of place...

I guess it's a guilty pleasure type attraction. You'll come out smiling, but everything about it is so bad.

NB: I did not partake in the press event.. ;)

Most people seem to love the awful soundtrack though, so what do I know?

Another point I'll throw out there: I'm surprised something like this has been passed by H&S. Loads of people I spoke to had grazes, friction burns, etc. Stuff like that will eventually get blown out of proportion or end up leading to something serious.

Equally, it's a tiring course. When you get people doing this in 30 degree heat and blaring sunshine, how will they cope after? Could see quite a few people fainting / being unwell during or immediately after this.

The soundtrack was just a naff mix of old pop tracks (who still listens to Gangnam Style in 2019?) with an annoying 'BOUNCEZILLA' jingle mashed in.

The event is pretty typical for a low budget Merlin event, it's just a bit of trashy summer fun and that's fine.

But for some strange reason (going off his rush to post about it online) Thorpe brought back Nick Hutson to do the soundtrack and even got John Burton from MMM involved. Seriously, they paid an ego-stroking podcaster/YouTuber just to do what 'Now That's What I Call Music 20546' does every year and for some reason MMM needed to be involved in a bouncy castle??

Do they not have their own events team anymore?
Couldn't they hire a real DJ on location, ya know, like a real event would?

Had no intention of going on this but got persuaded by @Marc - cheers by the way!  People seemed to enjoy it but honestly it looks so daft having a big ol bouncy castle shoved in a theme park.

Onto the thing itself - by the end of it I felt like I was a contestant on Gladiators - the inflatable stairs at the end were a joke - I got to the top and fell completely backwards off of it and had a mini break/breakdown.  This thing is tiring - I felt like I was dying halfway through and I was struggling to breath and needed my asthma inhaler after.  Then my legs were numb and both my niece and I felt faint - thankfully eating our weight in pizza pasta helped with that.  I recently did a 2 hour 6 mile power walk and wasn’t as tired as I was on that bouncy hell hole!  I wouldn’t do it again but it was kinda fun in between struggling to breath and younger kids seemed to love it.

I guess it’s better than nothing ?06280AD2-F71E-4EB0-9596-0A0943200F24.thumb.png.2a8a32ba8f1dc0f99448b25e1fa37dd0.png

In a way I'm kind of glad it's there. It kept all the children / youtubers busy when we went so the queue times for the real rides were quite low for such a sunny day. It only spoiled the Lost city area with its obnoxious noise but luckily didn't ruin the coasters. One of the best weekends at Thorpe I've had for a while. Ok it's not a permanent dark ride or a flat ride but it still lowers the crowd levels around the park. It's at least proof filler attractions are needed despite how bad and fun fair like this thing is. So much for Merlin wanting their theme parks to be unique and unlike any standard funfair.