Ride Accidents

pluk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That site used to be great, but it updates so infrequently now it's not much use really.I love ride accidents too, and of course I mean reading about them (I would much rather they didn't happen at all obviously). It's a shame that it can be quite difficult to find details of the investigation and discovered causes after the event though, that's the really interesting bit. They should do a seconds from disaster theme park edition!

• 2 weeks later...

Seems Dragon Challenge/Dueling Dragons at Universal in Florida is unlikely to duel each other again. -_-

After a pair of incidents in July and August 2011 in which riders were hit by flying objects during the course of the ride, Universal officials announced plans to operate the two roller coasters separately, pending the completion of an investigation. This is the first major change to the ride's operation since its opening in 1999.[4] In October 2011, Universal officials announced that the dueling aspect of the ride was to be removed permanently, with the ride instead becoming "a high-speed chase between two coasters."[1]

Seems plausible I guess, I mean lets face it, had this been a UK ride, health and safety would have enforced this modification years back; incident or no incident. The area especially where the two "dragons" charge at each other and dive upwards into a loop just before touching each other must be quite a high risk area for loose objects to become projectiles.

I mean lets face it, had this been a UK ride, health and safety would have enforced this modification years back; incident or no incident. The area especially where the two "dragons" charge at each other and dive upwards into a loop just before touching each other must be quite a high risk area for loose objects to become projectiles.

Story has been around for a while now, and yeah it's sad and bad news. But really? You think UK H+S is tougher than US? Have you been to BPPB? I think in the UK an investigation would have found there was nothing further the park could do to ensure safety, blamed quest stupidity and the duelling would continue. As it should in America,

Story has been around for a while now, and yeah it's sad and bad news. But really? You think UK H+S is tougher than US? Have you been to BPPB? I think in the UK an investigation would have found there was nothing further the park could do to ensure safety, blamed quest stupidity and the duelling would continue. As it should in America,

I completely agree and I believe dueling should continue; if not then the name really needs to be rethought because it is hardly a challenge if one dragon is going to be constantly "chasing" another -_- . I'm not really up on the respective strictness on health and safety from the UK compared to the US; was purely a presumption :P

• 2 weeks later...

I always stay Away from fairgrounds and stay going the big theme parks for exactly this reason. I think they don't do the safety checks enough compared to Thorpe and Alton etc .

Fun fair rides are taken down and put up again so often that they are probably a teeny bit safer then theme parks, they are always checked over when rebuilt. Theme Parks are just that little bit better at covering up minor ride incidents.

Fun Fair rides actually get checked over in more ways than theme park ride versions in some cases... lets take Vortex as an example. Vortex probably gets checked every morning, before it opens. Parts like the motor at the top, or the moving floor might only get checked every once in a while. Whereas on the funfair equivalent, the ride is pulled down and erected again within a few days, checks will be carried out and any problems noticed by the showman. Of course the chances of a problem occurring is slim, but things do happen.

Owning a Fun Fair ride is like owning a car to the showman, all travelling rides have a yearly Non Destructive and Ride Test, this is a bit like an M.O.T and has to happen every year, or else the ride cannot operate. There are various certificates that the rides need to operate, such as ADIPS (Amusement Device Inspection Procedures Scheme), Fun Fair rides and Theme Park rides get an ADIPS test.

Here's some photo's below of Billy Danter's Extreme (Tivoli Remix Orbiter) having it's yearly inspection. :lol:

Below, the hydraulic ram for the restraints is tested to check that all welds are strong.

Posted Image

Here, the strengths of the welds and stress areas are being checked again, with a device that works a bit like a sonar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So yeah... Fairgrounds are pretty safe. Most rides are produced by companies which also produce very identical rides for Theme Parks e.g. Fabbri, KMG, Mack (some Music Express's etc), Gerstlauer, Tivoli, Huss and of course more... Good thing about fairs is that you get a decent&intense ride cycle on most rides, unlike some theme parks ;)