Ride Accidents

pluk

Nasty, seems the girl is OK considering how easily coming out of that could kill you.

http://www.westsussextoday.co.uk/news/county-news/latest-news/update-council-release-statement-on-worthing-fairground-ride-accident-1-6010541

This style of ride has a bit of history of ejecting people. Among the bull**** "I woz dare" comments (on a very poor and irresponsible 'news' article) is this rather sensible and plausible one

Grace Ridge-Edwards added: “I witnessed everything and I can assure you she did not try to climb out.

“She passed out into the empty seat next to her and the power of the ride caused her to fly out.”

The restraints are a single bar across 4 seats and you do need to brace yourself against the forces to stay there. It is very plausible that if she lost consciousness while riding she could effectively lay down across the seats and not be restrained by the lap bar at all.

------

Further afield a bungee/reverse bungee combo has malfunctioned in a way I can't quite understand from the text, killing two and injuring one in Thailand.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/405600/two-die-in-bungee-accident

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often to be honest. I don't know what Florida's bobsleds are like, however having been on the Anaheim one a few weeks back the platforms are incredibly small; with easy places to trip and fall into small drops of rockery; and considering they do quite a lot of walking up and down them.

Hopefully it's just bumps and grazes, and nothing's broken; having said that it could have ended much worse - aka falling onto the track or, depending where she fell, fall down into the mountain and onto the lift hill.

• 3 weeks later...

The operator of a KMG booster wheel has been struck by the ride while it was in full motion. This took place on a funfair in the Netherlands (Haarlem).

The operator has survived with only a broken collar bone and his condition is stable for now.

Footage of the actual accident (potentially distressing for some): http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x1ybnrz

Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5670260/Fairground-worker-knocked-down-by-50mph-ride.html?CMP=SOC-Sun-Facebook-11_20_2013-191-0-0-0

People complain about health and safety rules these days in general but they are there for a reason.

In the UK, the restraints/ride team members MUST always be behind the gate or in a secure area where there is no possible point where they can be hit by the ride. Once the ride has stopped, they are then allowed to move and load/unload the ride for the guests.

This video just stresses how dangerous these rides can be. I hope the man is OK and is recovering and I hope general safety rules for funfairs tighten up as these problems can happen over and over. A lot of funfair rides even have potential(shake and breakdance) to hit the spectating guests, especially if they are messing about.

I really hope safety rules tighten up as I would hate to see this happen to anyone ever again

Not suprised to be honest... Miamis are actually the most disgusting ride ever invented. Why create a ride in which you feel like you are going to fall out and die? I've ridden it once, never again its pure torture.

Miamis should be banned for eternity they are disgusting.

Not suprised to be honest... Miamis are actually the most disgusting ride ever invented. Why create a ride in which you feel like you are going to fall out and die? I've ridden it once, never again its pure torture.

Miamis should be banned for eternity they are disgusting.

thats a bit over the top :P they are good fun if you are sensible and don't act like a prat on them! I really enjoy them! They might feel unsafe but they are very safe!

thats a bit over the top :P they are good fun if you are sensible and don't act like a prat on them! I really enjoy them! They might feel unsafe but they are very safe!

I'm not acting over the top I'm being serious.. I went on the big wave in Austria. It was a ONE lap are for the whole row and it was WAY higher than anyone on the row. It went on for about 10 minutes and I swear I was going to fall out and die. I'm lucky I'm still alive not joking.

It's an utterly stupid ride, even if it did feel safe, which it doesn't, it is EXTREMELY boring doing the same motion over and over. Such a pointless ride.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday seems to have been a bad day for rides, not only did the Zacspin eject someone to their death as mentioned elsewhere, it also seems 6FMM's vampire-a-like Ninja has derailed quite spectacularly causing injury. Hoping it's not as bad as it first seems and that there are not any ramifications for the other old suspended from coasters out there.

Will link to an article when I'm not on my phone.

EDIT

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80741754/

Seems the ride itself didn't fail but the train struck a tree branch somehow, so should not have any knock on effect on the running of other old Arrow suspended coasters. Thank hevans for that!

Yesterday seems to have been a bad day for rides, not only did the Zacspin eject someone to their death as mentioned elsewhere, it also seems 6FMM's vampire-a-like Ninja has derailed quite spectacularly causing injury. Hoping it's not as bad as it first seems and that there are not any ramifications for the other old suspended from coasters out there.

Will link to an article when I'm not on my phone.

EDIT

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80741754/

Seems the ride itself didn't fail but the train struck a tree branch somehow, so should not have any knock on effect on the running of other old Arrow suspended coasters. Thank hevans for that!

I linked the original story in the Terra Mitica topic yesterday too :P

That's from what I know, 34 of a death count on coasters (not flats!)

Very sad to hear. It surprises me though, that zacspin restraints, where you get flung around continuously for the duration of the ride, have less secure (at least looking) restraints then the likes of stealth, Baco and even Colossus. 

The restraint must've really failed, I think either the over shoulder harnesses broke or widened in some way allowing her to fly out or she left her seat belt undone, or had a flimsy one, and the restraint opened and she flew from under it. 

I think both incidents are a real shame. I think Mark9 can agree with me that it feels quite surreal that a roller coaster can so spectacularly have an incident as Ninja has, especially when you think it was merely weeks since I rode it (Mark you rode it shortly after me, didn't you?). It's lucky that it actually stayed where it was, as the photos suggest it was held on by one wheel, if any at all and perhaps just the car connector. But equally with so many trees amiss it's ride area, mixed with it's swing and speed it always did feel like you'd hit the trees, just still in shock that it actually has (although I appreciate the tree has fallen).

Equally shocked with the ZacSpin. Considering it's bars I'm struggling to understand how it's failed. I've never been on the ZacSpin at SFMM and never visited another park with one (I have no intention to ride one either), but this is yet another nail in the box of Intamin Accidents. I'd almost suggest that they must be pushing their luck as being one of the manufacturers with the most incidents now, no? I do feel deeply sorry for the Icelandic family whom lost their child though, must be such a horrific event.