Ride Accidents

pluk

1 hour ago, Weeksy said:

In fairness to Nick and Merlin, the way they handled the Alton accident was textbook, took full responsibility and seemed to really care. 

Yet failed to call the emergency services for 20 minutes. I wouldn't call that textbook. Taking responsibility was really they only thing they could do. If they blamed Gerst then they would have had a lawsuit on there hands for defamation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2016 at 8:22 AM, planenut said:

Tragic incident at this park on their Thunder River Rapids, at Dreamworld, on Australia's Gold Coast. Apparently there are four adult fatalities. The ride appears a standard rapids type but the conveyor is an open ladder system.

Very sad for all concerned.

Dreamworld state they will dismantle the ride, I think that appropriate as opposed to the incident on Smiler when people were severely injured but no loss of life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-37916546

I don't know, there have been plenty of rides which have caused fatalities and subsequently reopened. I strongly doubt the ride is inherently dangerous, I'm sure it could have been made perfectly safe with fairly little effort, but it's probably the right thing to do in this case for the parks reputation recovery.

• 2 months later...

Literally no words, just saw that video on Facebook. Something has gone seriously seriously wrong for that to happen... Assume lap bar not locked correctly or she was too short to ride? Anything is possible with a Chinese knock off I suppose :(

The poor girl had no chance judging by how bent the safety barrier was after she was thrown into it :(

It appears from this image that the seat she was in is the empty one on the row behind, which looks like the restraint is still down with that yellow belt in place. Suggests she may have slip out of the middle of the restraint rather than it having opened. The gap between each shoulder does look quite wide to me.

3CCD49BA00000578-4188586-image-a-13_1486133561922.jpg

It takes someone 5 years to take a place of work to court over an injury?

Surely that's nothing to do with the recent spate of incidents at the park? Someone else is taking them for receiving a broken neck off CuChu, though only getting a x-ray 4 weeks afterwards (if your neck was THAT broken, you'd know the difference in a lot less time)...

Guess the Irish have just discovered how lucrative theme parks can be in the court systems... Merlin's payout list was enough before even Smiler...

• 2 months later...

Seems like what could have been a worst case scenario on a coaster in Colombia. Not quite sure what has happened here, the park have said that it wasn't a mechanical error and that the ride was being operated according to manufacturers protocol.

Link to article: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/disabled-man-seriously-injured-horror-10226274

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

That reads a lot like someone with false limbs has secured their prosthetics really well, but the rest of them not so much.  Wouldn't be the first time that had happened.

Australia - child critically injured being thrown from twister/sizzler type ride.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/boy-hurt-in-fall-from-rye-carnival-ride/news-story/1ad49c1129dae05222f75e9696b4656a

Mix of reports, some saying he was flung from his seat, others that he was already clinging to the outside when it happened. Seems he was part of the owners family, and they do do that sort of thing sometimes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe there is a difference between park and funfair versions. Thats a horrific incident and by the sounds of it, this funfair has very strict health and safety as several rides weren't open due to not passing inspections. That footage of the gondola hitting what looks like the floor/barrier is haunting and gut wrenching. 

The footage of the accident on a top-spin type ride in China from earlier in the year was also incredibly chilling - the difference was there, that China's "knock off" rides aren't renowned for their safety whereas this is an established and trusted manufacturer - one would assume that an error has been made in construction as it's a mobile version but who knows :(