Ride Accidents

pluk

India - 14 year old boy dies after being 'caught in the wheels of a roller coaster ride', oddly and slightly graphically worded article. Not clear what the ride actually was, but I'm thinking it was really a round ride of some sort from the description of mechanics of injury.

India (again) - The worlds crappiest looking drop towers has a moment of uncharacteristic excitement when 'ropes' (possibly quite literally ropes, and not just a poor translation) snapped sending a gondola crashing to the ground injuring 12. 

The park involved has shut indefinitely. Probably for the best.

18 hours ago, pluk said:

They should be 'metal ropes', so ropes would be a correct word. And if not maintained properly, or used too often or whatever, they will snap just like any other rope. Though tbf, if it's a cheap / knock off ride, they could quite literally just be 'strong' ropes.

An incident at a fairground in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, where a girl fell out of a pendulum-style ride:

(incident around 50s)

The fairground didn't have appropriate permission to run, nor did they go through proper safety set ups / checks. Haven't found any word about the condition of the person.

7 hours ago, JoshC. said:

They should be 'metal ropes', so ropes would be a correct word. And if not maintained properly, or used too often or whatever, they will snap just like any other rope. Though tbf, if it's a cheap / knock off ride, they could quite literally just be 'strong' ropes.

Is a metal rope not a cable?!

12 hours ago, pluk said:

Is a metal rope not a cable?!

I guess so yeah!

In my experience with theme park rides that use them, they're used pretty interchangeably. Just depends on who you speak to. I guess since rides use cables and not ropes, there's not really any confusion

So yeah, technical term would be cables, but it's not uncommon to hear them called ropes

• 2 weeks later...

All of these accidents are honestly dreadful.

The pendulum/after burner ride accidents seem to all be a result of buying poor quality models and not being operated and maintained safely enough. 

There seems to have been a lot of ride accidents in the last few years, however I put that down to the likes of social media and phone ownership increasing significantly as opposed to more accidents actually happening.

• 5 weeks later...

Could have been disastrous! But thankfully no one hurt from the looks of it but something quite serious looking has happened to the chain on Wodan whilst it was loaded. See pic below from EP&CO on Facebook. 

It seems the chain snapped at the top and then hurled down the track towards the train.