X

Garyy

So it is rumoured that X:\ No Way Out will be a whole new ride for 2013 with massive changes including a re-theme/spruce up and the trains are supposedly going to be modified and will travel forwards as opposed to backwards. The trains apparently will feature individual lap bars and the height restriction will be lowered because of this! Wonder if it is true!

Makes sense, I doubt thorpe will be spending an awful lot of money on rides in 2013 after 20 million on Swarm.

X is probably the most run down ride at the park, so its in desperate need of somthing, and if they are getting individual lap bars and are able to lower the height restriction then that solves some issues of things for smaller children.

I can see it getting a slight re theme, but honestly nothing major, especially nothing as complicated as swapping the trains ride and replacing lap bars etc.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for that to be true, but I am going to need a strong and preferably official source to believe it for myself..

So it is rumoured that X:\ No Way Out will be a whole new ride for 2013 with massive changes including a retheme/spruce up

Yay - good to hear. Dark rides have so much potential.

and the trains are supposedly going to be modified and will travel forwards as opposed to backwards.

What a shame. The whole point of X is that it travels backwards. They could quite easily keep this with a retheme and a good amount of lighting. It takes away from the novelty of it all and it loses some appeal of it in my mind. How many rides, other than X, go backwards in the dark? To my knowledge, two. Same argument that people use with Slammer really; it's unique, so why would Thorpe / Merlin want to get rid of it?

The trains apparently will feature individual lap bars and the height restriction will be lowered because of this! Wonder if it is true!

Unsure about the idea of individual lap bars. I felt that they've overly-tamed Flying Fish with it, but I guess doing so and lowering the height restriction is not too bad I guess. Perhaps the new-X can serve as a step-up ride now for people who don't want to rush straight into the 'big rides'.

Very glad to see X getting attention, it deserves it, but I'm a bit disappointed that that the trains are to be reversed. Hopefully, from a purely selfish perspective, the experience and novelty of the ride isn't ruined too much (and there's enough money put aside for the retheme / spruce up, as I assume changing the trains around will affect the ride hardware and won't be quite cheap.)

Being unique does not make a ride good (though X is amazing).

As is shown with Slammer, in my opinion at least. :P

What I more mean is Merlin / Thorpe like have unique rides, or rides which have certain features to them which are special. X is one of those rides, and with the amount of effort that's gone into preserving Slammer, I'd have hoped that they would've done the same with X, and help make it more ridable by putting more money into a spruce up / retheme. :)

It is an odd ride. The ride itself is never going to be amazing because it is not capable with the hardware. What it could be though is a lot better than it is now and an impressive experience without a huge amount of work or expense. Obviously I'm still talking a good few thousand but in the scheme of things that is nothing.

More and better localised lighting and laser effects (especially on the break runs), some sort of partitions (probably curtains) to stop light leakage from one effect to another (also keeping the bulk of the ride actually dark) and improved audio which somehow reflects the various pacing of the ride. These things along with an overhaul of the dilapidated queue line I'm sure could make it seem fresh and exciting again.

The park already has a good relationship with Ministry of Sound, I'd have no problem with a sponsored 'MoS - the ride' to raise the funding.

Having said all that, if another option is to lose X, the arena, slammer, some H+B, Burger King shack, CCR line and maybe even carousel and Mr Monkeys to create a huge new area including something along the lines of IoA's Spiderman then do that instead!

The way I see it best working:

Onboard audio is clearly too expensive and difficult, so it would have to be done differently. Many dance tracks are of a similar BPM. The whole ride area can be filled with a thumping never ending, never varying beat which you would hear continuously. Then each break run can have its own track playing in time with the beat. Think similar to how Professor Burps songs blend between scenes. The whole effect would be like the tracks were being mixed and the lighting etc effects in each break run would be fitting and timed to the track there.

The tracks could easily be updated whenever they liked when MoS want to promote things as they come out, and provide plenty of sales opportunity if offered when the ride is over. It has been in my mind for ages, I could really see this working rather well.

Yes, that is it. X is not a great ride, but it is absolutely full of potential as an unusual bit of hardware, if only they'd put the effort in theme wise. I'd be more than happy with the 'new' for 2013 being an x full of sounds and lights and smoke and effects, it would be a totally new ride experience if they did it properly, even if the track stayed the same.

BOOOOM!!

If it is MoS the ride I want my commision!!

Seriously though, it would be great if they fixed it properly, although I'll take the 'rumour' with a pinch of salt until something official comes our way. I would be sad to see it turned to forwards, it would be a very nothing coaster going the right way, and I can see a lot more potential with effects with the backwards position.

If this is a fix up like the last few though (ie a video in the queue or one speaker and a flashing light in the ride) then they're best off not bothering. Do it properly or don't do it at all - it's just embarrassing otherwise, especially if it is used in promotion.

To be fair, with the obvious lack of new ride for next year, it seems like the single most plausible thing they would do.

I think if they did put upwards of maybe even £500k - £1million into theming it, and turned it into something epic, it would be a waste having the cars still going backwards and making everyone sick.

I am for this. I've moaned for a while about X No Way Out getting the justice it deserves and I'll be happy if this does happen. X No Way Out, Logger's Leap and the Rumba Rapids are some of the oldest rides at Thorpe Park and an re-theme would only be an improvement.

Who's the source?

People change their member names so often and members come and go so much, that I don't know who is credible or knows credible people anymore.

I don't want to get my hopes up just to be disappointed. You can understand my reluctance.

I am for this. I've moaned for a while about X No Way Out getting the justice it deserves and I'll be happy if this does happen. X No Way Out, Logger's Leap and the Rumba Rapids are some of the oldest rides at Thorpe Park and an re-theme would only be an improvement.

Who's the source?

People change their member names so often and members come and go so much, that I don't know who is credible or knows credible people anymore.

I don't want to get my hopes up just to be disappointed. You can understand my reluctance.

Always good to question, but as someone once pointed out to me, there are some members who can be more trusted than others with information like this. I'd say Diesel is very reliable, personally.

So it is rumoured that X:\ No Way Out will be a whole new ride for 2013 with massive changes including a re-theme/spruce up and the trains are supposedly going to be modified and will travel forwards as opposed to backwards. The trains apparently will feature individual lap bars and the height restriction will be lowered because of this! Wonder if it is true!

Also heard this rumour from a decent source!