X

Garyy

Told you guys it was a refurb. Just saying.

When we were first talking about this referb you were still banned! Just saying. :P

I'm looking forward to giving this a go. From my own point of view I think it will be a shame that it is no longer backwards (I know, not ridden it yet. but I can take a pretty good stab at what it will feel like the other way) and backwards is a feeling that I like and it doesn't cause me any of the nauseous issues others seem to suffer. Think the actual ride aspect could be a bit dull forwards tbh, but if backwards in the dark causes a river of puke I totally understand the decision.

It should be possible to do a decent little lighting show on a reasonable budget, the one thing they should try to avoid though is lighting the whole place up too much. Would work best if sectioned somehow, just black curtain or something, to try and stop too much being visible around the building from each brake run. In the real of fantasy now it would be cool if the lighting was in some way interactive with the music and if some effects weren't only lighting, something like this would be all kinds of amazing on the brake runs, and probably quite doable

http://youtu.be/nsBuoBi-whU?t=43s

Also, in relation to Ministry of Sound, I don't think this was ever really a rumour or on the cards or from any sort of reality.

:snapback.png

It is an odd ride. The ride itself is never going to be amazing because it is not capable with the hardware. What it could be though is a lot better than it is now and an impressive experience without a huge amount of work or expense. Obviously I'm still talking a good few thousand but in the scheme of things that is nothing.

More and better localised lighting and laser effects (especially on the break runs), some sort of partitions (probably curtains) to stop light leakage from one effect to another (also keeping the bulk of the ride actually dark) and improved audio which somehow reflects the various pacing of the ride. These things along with an overhaul of the dilapidated queue line I'm sure could make it seem fresh and exciting again.

The park already has a good relationship with Ministry of Sound, I'd have no problem with a sponsored 'MoS - the ride' to raise the funding.

Having said all that, if another option is to lose X, the arena, slammer, some H+B, Burger King shack, CCR line and maybe even carousel and Mr Monkeys to create a huge new area including something along the lines of IoA's Spiderman then do that instead!

It was just something that I said as an idea and people ran with it. I'm not saying there isn't one as it seems quite an obvious idea to me, but I think that quote is the first mention of it you will find and it is certainly not said in a 'I think it will be' kind of way.

I think what they will do is use smart lighting which can be set to a 'sound active mode' or can be daisy chained (linked) and linked up to a lighting board where the lighting can be manipulated from the ride control booth, or they will program the lighting into a programmable box to specific tracks. The intelligent lighting consists of moving heads and scanners which can be directed in certain directions, I just hope they get the right package and have the lights synced in with loud music and smoke, I'm looking forward into seeing what this turns out too be. I also hope they use better sound equipment, ie concert speakers for proper atmosphere.

The forward-facing trains rumour can finally be put to bed! Time to look forwards on this ride, not backwards.

Now I've heard this it's a case of "No likey" -adding MoS is not a bad idea, but in some ways I feel let down.

Turn X forwards and the Swarm backwards. Nice going. :( Well done Thorpe, you've done it again and ruined another ride. X may have not been at its best the last few years, but the backwards experience was unique and fun.

Well whilst trying not to go off topic, but this year Slammers cycles have somehow been even more prolonged. the average cycle lasts between 5 to 6 minutes, with a cycle being sent on average every 9 minutes minutes so from start to finish it takes almost 15 minutes to send a cycle.

Possible cycle(s) per hour is 4 or 5 which is around 192/240 maximum (fully loaded) - as there is only ever about 10 people on the ride they rarely scrap 100 people an hour!

Anyway's back onto X, I am somewhat looking forward to what ever they have done with it, anything would be an improvement on the decaying ride!

... Anyway, regarding the retheme of X, this is what I heard from a rides manager earlier in the year: (...) Family ride- Forwards- (...) No longer 'pitch black', but still a dark rideObviously, things will have changed since then, in fact I've heard the rumours were scrapped altogether. That makes sense with Fishy coming back. I was told this months ago and was assured this was definitely the plan for X. Maybe one day we'll look back at what could have been...

Sometimes it's great to look back and realise that they sometimes like to bring back "shelved" ideas/concepts...

Well whilst trying not to go off topic, but this year Slammers cycles have somehow been even more prolonged. the average cycle lasts between 5 to 6 minutes, with a cycle being sent on average every 9 minutes minutes so from start to finish it takes almost 15 minutes to send a cycle.

Possible cycle(s) per hour is 4 or 5 which is around 192/240 maximum (fully loaded) - as there is only ever about 10 people on the ride they rarely scrap 100 people an hour!

Anyway's back onto X, I am somewhat looking forward to what ever they have done with it, anything would be an improvement on the decaying ride!

Thanks for that again Ricky - I won't mention Slammer any more in this thread ;)

I'm also looking forward to the new X, as the old one did make me vom once after eating Chocolate Buttons before hand. Rookie mistake I know... :P

I think I will prefer it backwards because that is what made it unique, I don't know how people can feel sick on X or any ride actually.

Trust me there are lots of rides which make you feel sick, its just that thorpe don't have any.

I went on a KMG afterburner called chaos at Villacher Kirchtag, we span really fast for about 8 mins non stop and it did 6 full swings all 5 times it went up to the top. I felt so sick I wanted it to stop but the people opposite were shouting for more and guess what- we went again! I do agree that being sick on X is totally strange as it is not a sickening ride...

Trust me there are lots of rides which make you feel sick, its just that thorpe don't have any.

I went on a KMG afterburner called chaos at Villacher Kirchtag, we span really fast for about 8 mins non stop and it did 6 full swings all 5 times it went up to the top. I felt so sick I wanted it to stop but the people opposite were shouting for more and guess what- we went again! I do agree that being sick on X is totally strange as it is not a sickening ride...

Travelling backwards in the dark is something that will make a LOT of people feel sick, trust me.

One thing I'm looking forward to about the revamped X is the lack of sick shutdowns and smell of sick walking through the queueline!

Stomach of steel, me. I can eat anything and then go on any ride and feel fine straight after, and later on.

Then again I'm not normal.

Me and my sister are the same, when we go to any theme park we always eat our lunch in the queue and have never been/felt sick. I have really good balance and never get dizzy so this could be why.

The only rides that make me feel sick are KMG afterburners for some reason - I really don't know as I have a strong stomach for everything else.

X:/ No Way Out definatley had no bad effect on me whatsoever, but I can understand why it might make some people feel sick.

I hope they have kept the original Thorpe park logo on the trains!

At risk of going too off topic - I'm fine with Saw, Stealth, Swarm, Colossus, Nemesis etc... but it's the "fairground" style rides that I can't hack - agree with the Afterburner comment! I tend to avoid things like waltzers too as they just do me in... it's more a case of making me feel queasy for a while which puts a dampner on the day, I've done the rides before and they aren't my thing so tend to not bother now. So yeah - Vortex is a big no-no for me... maybe I can stomach Samurai now it's on a lame setting!!

Detty doesn't make me feel ill, and weirdly, Slammer doesn't either!

Cheers Ryan for confirming my X sickness isn't completely abnormal :D I think the fact the park was empty and we'd just been on Colossus 3 times in a row didn't help matters ;)