X

Garyy

• 2 weeks later...

Went on X today for the first time, its an enjoyable ride which the light effects also help the experience too. The loading is also pretty fast too as when a train arrives, they load everyone quick and then it leaves 20 seconds later before another train arrives shortly afterwards.

Can confirm on 2/3 of the block breaks, you run straight through them, the drops where both sections stand where the breaks are no longer on use took myself and some others by surprise taking it quite some speed. Overall I really liked it, I would have liked to have seen more variations in light and also the smoke wasn't present. Music was pretty loud and it was a decent experience.

Would certainly be interesting to see a POV of X without the stops at the blocks. If I'm visualising it right and it takes it at the usual speed with little to no slow down could you be getting very small bits of airtime coming off the blocks, especially off the first one? Probably being very optimistic here.

Would certainly be interesting to see a POV of X without the stops at the blocks. If I'm visualising it right and it takes it at the usual speed with little to no slow down could you be getting very small bits of airtime coming off the blocks, especially off the first one? Probably being very optimistic here.

It slows you slightly, but not that much on the first one, the section immediately after there was some airtime yes :)

Indeed there is after that first block, it took me by surprise! :D Airtime and X in the same sentence, who'd have thought it eh?

I was a tad disappointed with the other blocks slowing you down, particularly that third one - if my memory serves me correctly, it stopped very, very briefly. But obviously I understand how the ride works and that it has to do this, and overall it was still miles better than that stopping and starting nonsense :P

I've only ridden it forwards twice and I think I actually prefer it this way. Mainly because it is more confortable and also facing forwards means you feel the wind/speed on you, which adds to the experience. Also has anyone else noticed the headchoppers in there?! :o Especially after the third block! I've been in the ride area a few times with the lights on back when I worked there and even then I didn't notice them :P

Wow, still all sounds positive.

This has probably been said before but personally I am still pleasantly surprised the lengths to which Thorpe have gone to give X a new lease of life. It had been crying out for something significant for a while, or at least something more than the improvements they made a few years back. To see that they have actually gone to the lengths of substantial work on the trains and now the re-programming of the ride. I gotta say, hats of to Thorpe on this one. I think I've seen for a while ideas people bouncing around of actually doing away with the dark theme and putting in lights so it is good to finally see this realised.

I think one of the best things they have done really with respect to it's other rides is Thorpe have finally taken it out of it's top thrill category. For years having X in the same category as Stealth and Swarm was very much doing the other rides a disservice.

On a different note, I'm glad Thorpe have pretty much done away with the zones. I mean a rave ride in the middle of a lost city? I think that would speak for itself; those mayans/aztecs/which ever time period really know how to party clearly ;)

I went to Thorpe yesterday on my first visit of the season, and I actually really enjoyed X. The lights was good, the music was great and the fact that the cars just pass through the break sections makes for a far better ride now!

Was just wondering does anyone actually know the list of songs used in there? some of them were really good! :P

I've not done new X yet, is the music not just older dance tracks that most people have forgotten about like it used to be? Would be surprised if they've made their own music for it rather than just using existing stuff.

Shouldn't think so. I think it may have just been composed by Merlin

They sound very much like free public domain songs. Unfortunately that makes them very hard to track down since no track ID software will pick them up.

If that is the case though, there shouldn't be any copyright issues if you were to ask them where they got them from so you could download them.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed X the other week. Not as good as I was expecting but a vast improvement on what it used to be.

Here's some footage I shot of the queue line:

Two things I would suggest:

-make sure the queue time board is accurate; it was displaying a 5 minute queue time and after walking the entire lenght of the queue, I was told that it was not open yet and I had to walk all the way back

-add more fog! It would make the experience much more immersive!

If you look at the finish on something like The Swarm or The Smiler and compare it to X, you can tell it was done on the cheap, but I take my hat off to them and give them credit, looking at the ride last year it had very little life left in it when you take in the guest experience and what was on offer. They have given the turd a very good polishing and now at least younger children can enjoy it and it does look like they have looked after it rather than let it rot which is what it looked like last year. I still need to ride it with the brake blocks removed, but it is better.

New for 2014, X Backwards again?

Had my first ride on X yesterday, very peculiar ride experience. Once the novelty of it going forwards wears off, I'm not sure I'll be going on this very much at all. With a forward facing indoor rollercoaster it is immediately competing with Euro-Sat and Space Mountain at WDW and X doesn't come off very well at all. it's main problem is because of the new lighting rig, too much of the indoor section is visible so you know where you are heading at all times and nothing is surprising. That being said I approve of the new lap bar system and that the park has done something with the ride.