X

Garyy

8 hours ago, Coaster said:

Apparently X is closed for the rest of the month.  Anyone know what's happening with it?

I haven't been to Thorpe in the peak of summer in a while but could it be due to the heat? Can't imagine it is the most pleasant building to work in or even queue in for a period of time. Plus, increased heat could be causing more people falling ill so they may just want to reduce the risk.

1 minute ago, Han30 said:

I've always found the indoor queue section on X to be ridiculously hot even on not particularly hot days - but no idea why they would close it for the rest of the month as the temps are meant to be going down - unless they are doing maintenance?

Could be maintenance, or could be a case of Thorpe not wanting to make a daily or several times daily check on the temperature of the building so they'd rather keep the ride out of action until the temperatures drop to something more certainly manageable and roster staff elsewhere. They could also take advantage of the time for tweaks.

I'd be very surprised if it was weather based given that it's been fine in all other years, and Ghost Train probably has more troubles with indoor temperatures and that hasn't closed.

As ever with lengthy closures, they're almost always related to waiting for a new part or (as seen in recent years) to allow for modifications related to new procedures under the H&S mask.  I doubt anyone knows the exact reason though.

I wonder if it's part of the "world's first attraction" announcement Thorpe made today opening this summer. It wouldn't really take a lot of effort to improve it in my opinion, at least fix the broken lights and clean the dust & dirt away. I could still see a fright nights ticket under the track in the station.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Benin said:

Serious question, why wasn't such an upgrade done in closed season? Was it down to the engineers having to put all focus on fixing Derren Brown?

If so, then real questions over staffing need to be asked...

The couple of days before it closed it seemed to be down for large parts of the day - I maybe wrong but I guess they may have just made the most of some time it was down for.

Also just re-rode it - the light show in thetr seems to be syncing up with the imascore track playing in there - very cool! 

Was pleasantly surprised to find X open today and the improvements are fantastic, really shows the difference a small expenditure can make between a mediocre and amazing experience.

The ride is looking the best it has in years - the entire queueline has been repainted, new lighting effects and the "dance version" of the park's main theme is such a good idea.

Well done Thorpe! :D

5 hours ago, Benin said:

Serious question, why wasn't such an upgrade done in closed season? Was it down to the engineers having to put all focus on fixing Derren Brown?

A lighting and sound upgrade wouldn't be done by engineers though ;)

The upgrades they've done to the ride experience don't sound like they'd have taken a month, so part of me wouldn't be surprised if they were waiting on a replacement part / parts, and used the time to tart the ride up a bit rather than wait till this coming winter.

17 hours ago, Benin said:

I highly doubt they closed it purely for this upgrade, it's probably a case of it needed maintenance so they used the time to give it a refresh.

15 minutes ago, Ringo said:

So the only music it plays is the IMAscore now? With all the pop music gone from the island and now the ride I wonder if some accountants realised they’d save money by not needing to pay the PPL fees? Genuinely change for the good though.

The queue line still has the pop music loop it had before - the IMAScore stuff is playing only within the coaster section! 

6 hours ago, Ringo said:

So the only music it plays is the IMAscore now? With all the pop music gone from the island and now the ride I wonder if some accountants realised they’d save money by not needing to pay the PPL fees? Genuinely change for the good though.

The park will always have to pay for a PRS License, because they will play normal music in Fins Bar & Grill, and other areas probably. Anywhere they are publicly playing normal music will require a license, no matter how loud or where it is