Croc Drop

Chessington have submitted plans to replace Rameses Revenge with a drop tower. Key facts:

-25m tall

-12m tall crocodile feature with water effects that the gondola will 'splash' into

-16 riders

-Rotating gondola with one free fall drop

-Flying Jumbos to be relocated to the old Carousel site to make sufficient room.

Link to all documents/images: https://publicaccess.kingston.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PWLD59NHILJ00

Key proposal: https://publicaccess.kingston.gov.uk/online-applications/files/82F01D47B4A400B27B50B0793ACD4906/pdf/19_02079_FUL-DESIGN_AND_ACCESS_STATEMENT-4214704.pdf

Key images:

EDnqp8mXYAEjorc?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EDnqp8oW4AAPihr?format=jpg&name=4096x409

There's no indication as to when this is for. It certainly could be 2020, but I've heard murmurs of other things planned for 2020, so this could end up being later. Equally, this could require a fair amount of groundwork, so 2021 isn't unreasonable to assume either.

Whilst Rameses will be missed, I do agree that it has reached the end of its shelf life. Plus it has served a decent amount of time at the resort for what it is.

Honestly I’d take this over anything Thorpe have got in the last 6 years. And it sounds like a good stepping stone between the likes of treetop hoppers and detonator.

1 hour ago, Glitch said:

Who said we were loosing Buccaneer. Does every positive have to turn into a negative from you?

In fairness at the same time no one has said it is coming back either and a lot have the same mindset as Coaster. The sign is very cleverly worded. Although personally I think it will be back next year, to take mind off the fact Rameses Revenge won't be there. 

Interestes to hear what 'other plans' are rumoured for next year then? 

1 hour ago, Coaster said:

So we're losing two flats (Buccaneer and Rameses) and only getting one?

In fairness, Buccaneer was clearly a last minute thing - the ride was advertised and expected to be open this year, but didn't.

The Rameses closure is probably something that's been in the mid-term plan for a while, given the ride is on its last legs. It's not necessarily feasible to amend those plans to replace something that wasn't meant to need replacing.

Hopefully we'll get something in for Buccaneer soon; it's in too prominent a position to just be left empty for too long.

2 minutes ago, Glitch said:

It more of the point of look we have something which looks like a cool and fun, themed family drop tower coming to the park in the future why can't we just appreciate that. 

Of course it's great that we are potentially getting a fun new themed drop tower, but I'm looking at the entire picture and circumstances of the park rather than just the new ride.

Another thing to consider is will it fit in with the rest of Forbidden Kingdom in the way that Rameses did?

4 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Of course this is one of the first three replies. God forbid we all be positive about a new investment for even 2 hours!

I just don't really see it as progress.  We have lost arguably the UK's best pirate ship and they are removing another of the park's only thrill rides (as well as the only inverting ride at the park).  Albeit, Rameses is past its best now.

This new concept for a drop tower looks good but in my opinion the above two rides make a more wholesome ride lineup than one drop tower.

If Buccaneer returns or is replaced suitably then fantastic, I just don't think it's likely.

1 minute ago, Coaster said:

I just don't really see it as progress.  We have lost arguably the UK's best pirate ship and they are removing another of the park's only thrill rides (as well as the only inverting ride at the park).  Albeit, Rameses is past its best now.

This new concept for a drop tower looks good but in my opinion the above two rides make a more wholesome ride lineup than one drop tower.

You're talking as if we've definitely lost Buccaneer forever though, when we haven't. Even if we have, as Josh said, it clearly wasn't planned as the ride is still on the map. If something came up that meant they had to remove it, what can they really do?

I agree that it's unlikely Buccaneer will come back, but even then Rameses is being replaced. We'd only be losing one flat. And I trust Buccaneer would be replaced eventually.

2 minutes ago, Loggers Creek said:

What if the park will actually drop Buccaneer as returning next year to distract most people of Ramesis going?

I’m  no conspiracy theorist, but what if they deliberately closed Bucaneer this year so they could remarked it to distract from a lager job and ride removal. 

No.

It's definitely time for Rameses to go, the ride is a shell of it's former shelf. As much as I'll miss it I do think it's time it got replaced, it takes forever to load and it hardly does a cycle anymore. It doesn't really fit in at Chessington anymore now too. Glad to see a new ride at Chessington too! Hopefully it's a good one.

Both rides were in severe need of maintenance (or by now total replacement). They both shut at the same time when they could be pushed no more. They're like old cars that havnt been looked after as well as they should have if they wanted to keep them running this long.

Bucaneer will only be 'returning' if they buy a new pirate ship. That really isn't Merlin's style unfortuantely, but who knows, maybe they will!

I appreciate that the plans for this drop tower look way better than a slap dash replacement. It could be a great replacement for Rameses now that it really has reached the end of its life.

Or will it turn out like Tiger Rock, Scorpion Express and Room on The Broom... a good idea but done way too cheaply?

What severely worries me is how this is such a low capacity, but supposedly heavily themed ride. The park struggles to get through queues with its current rides and this only seats 16. When you think it will be new, well themed, have to cater for RAP and fastrack as well as probably have one member of staff working on it I can forsee a Very Very long queue for this. It is going to be painfully slow! 

1 minute ago, CharlieN said:

Judging by height, capacity and the plans, it seems like this will be a SBF-VISA Drop’N Twist.

For a long time Chessington was THE family theme park in the UK - now it’s clear that Paultons are the trend setters, with Chessington stuck in 2012.

Paulton's has it floors too and what happens when they loose the Peppa pig IP?