Fright Nights 2019 - Spoilers

JoshC.

3 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Of course parks exaggerate, but to claim that Creek Freak Massacre is the most intense horror maze in the event's history is an incredibly bold claim and there is no room for interpreting it differently (unlike many of their claims) - they have literally guaranteed 100% that the new maze is the most intense scare attraction they have ever created.

Whilst I didn't personally expect it to be my favourite ever Thorpe maze, ultimately the way it has been sold by the park is a significant contributing factor to my impression and review of the maze.  It's fun but it does not deliver what Thorpe promised.

But then what qualifies the maze as Intense... is it the fact that it has the most chainsaws ever seen in a Thorpe maze, combined with a crawl section. I saw multiple panic attacks happen on Sunday night + a man run back out the entrance door. Seems like it that's a fair evaluation of intense.

But maybe perhaps not for you, maybe you shouldn't read in to Thorpe's marketing so much as remember saying a maze themed to Hill-Billies with chainsaws isn't going to sell as many tickets as Our most intense maze ever.

So yeah just remember intensity can be measured in different ways and perhaps if Creek freak was around in the days of EX10 and Asylum you may of had a different opinion as age and exposure to scare attractions all play different roles.  

2 hours ago, Mark9 said:

So here's my question. We know parks use hyperbole to talk about their attractions so why do you believe/accept/go along with it?

Has Coaster believed/accepted/gone along with it though? His review doesn't seem to suggest he was expecting Creek Freak to be the most intense maze?

If you go into an attraction not clouded by the hyperbole and with reasonable expectations, I still think it's fair to bring up the park's hyperbole when reviewing. We should still call out the park's BS when it's there, even when it's clear as day. It's better than just brushing it off.

1 hour ago, Glitch said:

But then what qualifies the maze as Intense... is it the fact that it has the most chainsaws ever seen in a Thorpe maze, combined with a crawl section. I saw multiple panic attacks happen on Sunday night + a man run back out the entrance door. Seems like it that's a fair evaluation of intense.

Good point about intensity. It's in no way quantifiable. So it can mean anything. It's just another buzzword.

1 hour ago, Glitch said:

But maybe perhaps not for you, maybe you shouldn't read in to Thorpe's marketing so much as remember saying a maze themed to Hill-Billies with chainsaws isn't going to sell as many tickets as Our most intense maze ever.

But it doesn't have to be one or the other. Let's look at what Thorpe are saying:

If you’re looking for a maze that scares you, we mean truly terrifies you, this extreme maze experience is set to be the most intense scare maze in the UK.  Brand new for 2019, this is no scary maze game… this is the ultimate Halloween maze attraction. Brace yourself and prepare for the worst as you take on the gruesome chainsaw massacre madness that lies within Creek Freak Massacre. We’re done playing scary games - this is the most extreme Thorpe Park scare maze ever opened!

They could instead go for...

If you’re looking for a maze that scares you, we mean truly terrifies you, this extreme maze experience is for you.  Brand new for 2019, brace yourself and prepare for the worst as you take on the gruesome chainsaw massacre madness that lies within Creek Freak Massacre. We’re done playing scary games - are you?

Builds hype, still sounds exciting, is to the point, but doesn't go for any hyperbole.

2 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

Has Coaster believed/accepted/gone along with it though? His review doesn't seem to suggest he was expecting Creek Freak to be the most intense maze?

If you go into an attraction not clouded by the hyperbole and with reasonable expectations, I still think it's fair to bring up the park's hyperbole when reviewing. We should still call out the park's BS when it's there, even when it's clear as day. It's better than just brushing it off.

I hadn't even noticed that Thorpe were calling it the most intense maze ever until Coaster pointed it out. And now that's all I'm thinking about. 

19 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

I hadn't even noticed that Thorpe were calling it the most intense maze ever until Coaster pointed it out.

Fair enough. But could that partially be down to your lack of interest about Fright Nights / Thorpe in general? In fairness it's been pretty prevalent in marketing.

And now that's all I'm thinking about. 

Maybe you should get out more then? ;)

7 hours ago, JoshC. said:

I agree, we shouldnt actually believe hype and should just go in with an open mind whatever it is. Creek Freak was good for what it was. In this case I think the 'most intense maze ever' thing thankfully wasnt much present around the park, more just a silly post online. So luckily it's not in most the public's minds unlike other hyperbole claims Merlin like to make

26 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

I agree, we shouldnt actually believe hype and should just go in with an open mind whatever it is. Creek Freak was good for what it was. In this case I think the 'most intense maze ever' thing thankfully wasnt much present around the park, more just a silly post online. So luckily it's not in most the public's minds unlike other hyperbole claims Merlin like to make

I thought about that, it seems deliberate maybe that the park have plastered it on videos, social media and the website to get people to visit, but there's no mention of it in the park or on the map because they hope people will forget that it's how the maze was advertised to sell the tickets and therefore not have those expectations?

I always go into scare mazes with no prior expectation, however, that doesn't change the principle of the marketing for this maze IMO.

You would think Thorpe Park would have learn't their lesson now by over hyping things.

Re mega flop over hyped Derren Brown Ghost Train, they simply have not learnt.

I will be avoiding Fright Nights like the plaque this year its way past its glory days.

Ok you don't  have to watch it but all spoilers of the mazes by the vloggers from preview nights save me from a visit now and the hassle of getting out of the place after.

Thanks Thorpe for that.

Went back tonight, some more reflections based on more reasonable experiences:

Creek Freak Massacre

Already, some effects are broken, and some aren't as effective. Pre show seemed to have a louder backing track (making it harder to hear) and dimmer (making it harder to see).

I think the maze is a bit marmite and a bit hit and miss. But personally, I don't think it's really my thing. It's good fun, and miles ahead of the other 4 mazes though.

Blair Witch

Somehow felt darker and more secluded now, which was great. But also the queue seems to move very slowly and I still can't quite work out why.

Do or Die

As expected, this has changed significantly from press night, and really suffers. The first container scene is okay I guess, but the rest of the maze really is a mess.

Platform 15 / Living Nightmare

Both mazes still pretty weak this year sadly.

Amity High

Still very good; actors have great energy. Wasn't being performed every 20 minutes tonight though because of how quiet it is.

This evening was very quiet, and there definitely seemed to be minimal actors in the mazes. Disappointing, but perhaps not wholly surprising either. I still fear how the park, and quality of mazes, will cope on busy days. But hey, at least they've made steps in the right direction.

Was on the Island Like No Other yesterday - all be it with a bit of lurgy/cold whatever is going around, so alas I wasn't trusting my stomach too much coaster wise, I know this is officially a FN's thread but here's my rIDe CouNT anyway:

Stealth x2

Swarm x2

Colossus x1

Rush x1

Detty x1

Storm Surge x1

Rapids x1

DBGTROTDWTF x1

TWDTR x1

My mates did Nemmy and Saw - Saw they said was rough as hell, but Nemmy was fab, especially a night ride after a bit of drizzle that was coming down! Everything was walk on really after 2/3pm ride wise - longest we queued for was of course DBGT, my thoughts on said "experience" already made clear in another thread. Stealth had some issues early morning but were quickly rectified, thank the Lord Sanbrooke. Heard a rumour that Sickstone was on park too, didn't get to meet him and talk about all things sick and gassed, gutted tbh. Spotted Powers Towers Productions (TM) in the Blair Witch queue lolz.

SO ON TO THE MAZES. Gonna rank these poorest first - going to be quite close to call really as they are all much of a muchness with one exception.

5. PLATFORM 15 (x1)

I know people lose their Pop Badges over this maze but again this failed to deliver really for me. Preshow/guided walk is good - the tour guide was good. Too much walking with dead space though from one section to another - I know this is supposed to "set the scene" and tension but it doesn't really work. Poly tunnel far too long with nothing happening. Ending got messed up as you arrive at different times and aren't forced to wait, if that makes sense so didn't really get to see what's supposed to happen. I will say that the Sleeper Express looked quality though - now all Victorian Esque on the sides, that was a marked improvement. Shout out to the lad in the house who spewed up some blood or something in front of us #Immersive

4. DO OR DIE (x1)

Bus scene was good, also the entrance now makes far more sense being where it is! The next container was completely empty (after chatting with Josh after I now understand why - whatever went on there was evidently for the elites of press night only innit).  The maze felt longer than before to me. Some interaction with the guy in the shrine bit which was good.

3. BLAIR WITCH PROJECT (x1)

We were worried we weren't going to experience this due to the 30-40 minute queue as soon as dusk fell - then a number of breakdowns. Not entirely sure what the problem was with the breakdowns as such, it didn't seem like an E-Stop as it was taking far too long to reset and get back to operation, and unless I'm mistaken there's nothing much "mechanical" or technical going on bar a smoke machine and some lights? Anyway, we eventually did it, and like Josh noted, I don't understand how the queue moves quite so slowly. Maze is completely different to previous years, kudos to them for that, far far more effort has gone into it and you genuinely feel you are walking through undergrowth, trees etc. Actors that were present did a solid job but needed more really (which I think is the story of the night). Close one between this and my #2.

2. LIVING NIGHTMARE (x2)

One runthrough we had Neagen, one we didn't, though the lad did say "We are all Neagen" in his intro speech, which is a good cop out haha. Jokes aside though - I think not having that at the start is a bit rubbish really, you'd hope they'd have a fair few Neagen's ready for the start of Fright Night's but maybe I hope too much. Enjoyable maze, some good scares, I always think they should have actors on that bus though - maybe we were just unlucky or they haven't been recruited yet? :D I just think it does what it does this maze and was just good really... 

1. CREEK FREAK MASSACRE (x8)

Well. We had high hopes for this. And for us at least, they were justified. The setting, staging and sound is great - but the interaction with the cast last night with us two was fantastic. I was wearing my Tulley's hoodie - which to be frank I do on purpose just because I know actors will spot it, and I'll be wearing my Smiler hoodie on Saturday at Tulleys - and they clocked it straight away with "What's that sh** you're wearing" and words to that effect - so on our first runthrough, we were put down the bad wood tunnel. On subsquent runthroughs, we were purposefully held back in "reception" so we would be by ourselves, I was put on the secret balcony bit on one run and split from the group, made to jump up and down and squeal like a pig (lolz) and the actress who was on reception first time, who was later inside the maze on 2nd and 3rd goes, pinned me in a corner and then followed me round by the hand to make sure I was introuced to her all her brothers and family one by one, telling them that I thought Chop Shop was better 😄 Cue actors then taking the mickey out of how they grind the chainsaws on the floor in Chop Shop and repeat the same movements etc. Stuff like this completey makes a maze for me and is a testament to the cast moreso than the maze itself. At one part also I had to hold the hand of the actress who was being cut up with the saw and made to operate the "saw". On our 7th and 8th (!) goes, the reception actor was a guy this time, and our final go was just us 2 and he joked with us - in character - about his voice being shot to pieces cos he didn't have a microphone, and we told him he didn't need to bother with the preshow 😄 - which he still did of course. We were split up on this last run too, and were chased even after we were out of the maze, There was more interaction than I've detailed here but can't remember, but in a nutshell - you were all ruddy brilliant, especially red-lumberjackshirt wearing reception girl!

Only negatives were - there was a power cut on Creek Freak, which was a bit concerning, so was down for 20 mins (the actors then just roamed the area which was great!) and sometimes the finale with the chainsaw doesn't quite work with timing because the actor comes from the left and you sometimes beat them to it, if that makes sense - but that to the side, we thoroughly enjoyed the maze, all eight times of it, and like I say - this was more a case of it being a solid maze with a fantastic cast. I hope they enjoyed our interaction/winding up with them as they did with us, totally made our night. Just thought it was a bit nasty saying I should be dead with a face like that tbh 😄

I have took note effects will not be working most of the time last year when j did platform the smoke stack went with its effect but the windows did not I have noticed in videos the stack is not working properly. I am not going to get that impact if it's expected to go off after the light shuts off will this be likely to happen and has it worked the passed few nights the windows and the stack going off because I really want them to happen on my next run through last thing I will say is  the circler is going to be on a 50/50 if it's working or not working  on creek freak because I have found it very cool effect in the videos I have seen plus if there not working I will just enjoy my evening when it happens.

Just been tonight. After seeing everyone talk about Creak freak, I really dont think Thorpe park or anyone should ever make a claim like that unless they really really really mean it. "Most intense maze ever" while it was excellent (IMO much better than big top) it certainly wasnt the most intense. I dont care about the hyperbole or any of that, just don't make that kind of claim. Asylum was still acres ahead. 

Although I really hope creak freak stays for a long time and is improved (such as a longer strobe section) the other mazes were average and platform 15 pretty poor once again.

I hope next year the park invest further and bring some original fantastic mazes (maybe even some old fashioned hands on shoulder mazes) in to the line up to accompany creak freak or maybe even bring back the likes of Freezer/Asylum, EX10 or Big Top to bring back the golden days.

As it stands they are still off the mark of the consistency of years like 2012 and 2013. Park wide theming should improve and new better mazes need to be brought in once again. 

Overall very positive evening for me.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:38 PM, Coco said:

I visited yesterday and did the full day with my dad and I agree with much of what has been said so far, it's a big improvement on last year but still not really up to scratch overall.

Arriving in the morning it was so quiet that we went on all the rides at least twice, some more (didn't bother with DBGT though cos just cba anymore.) After we stopped for some lunch we went to do mazes, didn't really wanna bother with Platform in daylight and we were hoping Creek Freak's queue would go down from 60 mins so went to Living Nightmare first. I've put these in the order we did them, not rating.

TWD Living Nightmare: 6/10

We did this twice, first time we had a very intimidating actor in the first scene and outside and it was a brilliant intro. The actor also picked on someone in our group who he recognised from the previous day. We've done LN a lot since it opened so it's a bit boring at this point but as usual the theming is still impressive. There weren't many zombie actors in there on our first run and the ending was incredibly flat. This improved on our second go with more zombies and better interaction at the end. I'm just a bit bored with TWD stuff at the park in general though.

Creek Freak Massacre: 7.5/10

We still wound up queuing an hour anyhow, did this twice in the end. I did really enjoy it both times and I approve of the actors being much more in your face in there but I agree it's not particularly intense. I'm so glad it's not like Chop Shop xD It probably is the best maze there this year by quite a bit but it's not one of my favourite sorta themes.

Our first run got a better scene in the room with someone being sawn in half as there was an actor in there pleading for help, however, nothing happened like others have said with any interaction in that room. We weren't stopped and no one was made to kill him. We just shuffled through in a line with not much happening as he screamed for help. On our second run, there wasn't even an actor playing a victim in there, just a mannequin and an actor on the raised platform rubbing people's heads as they shuffled by. We didn't really fit in the intro room on our second run our batch was so huge >.< Got a bit of chainsaw interaction but not much. Best interaction in there for me was an actor leaping down from above and blocking me off, putting a hand on my shoulder, an axe to my throat and telling me how he was gonna chop me up xD For me, it's interactions like that which make my day! I wish they were more frequent but I don't tend to get picked on very often.

If every maze at Thorpe was at the same standard as this one, Fright Nights would be great instead of just alright!

TWD Do or Die: 6/10

We did this twice, once in daylight, once in the dark (purely because last year we had one great daylight run) and funnily enough, our daylight run was better again than our dark one! I do like the containers there, it really helps break up the outdoor sections. I'm confused as to what other people have said happens in em though cos on both our runs nothing much happened in them at all >.< There were one or two actors inside the first ones who weren't really doing anything and it seemed a bit empty. There was a brilliant actor inside one of the cars who got out and scared the crap out of the girls in front of us and someone in there was pro at the neckbreathing technique of creepyness xD It felt fairly long as far as the mazes at Thorpe go which was a pleasant surprise. It's not great but it's not crap either, I can never understand why it frequently gets rated worse than Platform and Blair Witch.

Platform 15: 3/10

We only did this once, the queue line said 10 minutes, the app said 15, our wait time was 40 minutes... we weren't happy about that because we never would have queued anything over 30 had we known, based on how consistently rubbish Platform has been for us over recent years.

Our group was far too big to hear the first actor's dialogue once we were pushed to the back. The vibrating fence effect triggered after everyone had already passed it. We nearly missed the train's fire shot being so far at the back of the group. The train itself looked pretty awesome but it's a shame there was only 1 actor down that whole stretch. All the way up to the house we didn't really get any scares at all, there were very few actors and they just focused on two people who were screaming at everything so for the majority of the maze we just trailed behind laughing at them.

The house bit was okay, had a few actors in but again we missed any scares because of the people in front of us.

The actor before entering the tunnel was pretty good. He made a comment as we were joining shoulders about me drawing the short straw being at the back and patted my shoulder saying not to worry he's sure I'll be fine. I was hoping that being at the back something might actually happen since we'd essentially been ignored for the duration of the maze. The actors in the tunnel did do a good job of attempting to scare everyone in the group and I was followed by one for a long time who kept touching my hair and making creepy noises.

Now, the final scene really confused me because it just wasn't really anything xD I don't know if nothing happened in general, or if we just missed it being at the back!

So when my dad and I entered the end room, it was lit up, there was a guy behind a window rubbing his head looking confused and two people were stumbling about like zombies. We just sorta walked out and said to each other... wtf was that supposed to be? o.O 

It sounds like the ending must be really hit or miss and I would've liked to have seen the proper version. I still wouldn't want to queue more than 10 minutes for Platform because like every other time we've run it in the past, it's just kind of awful :(

Blair Witch: 1/10

I don't know what happens on other people's runs for this to ever get rated more than 1/10. It was just really rubbish like it usually is for us >.< We were stumbling round in the dark in the mud getting bits of tree in our faces with nothing happening for a good while until we encountered an actor (after leaving the intro scene.) Nothing really happened until we got to the house at the end. As usual there was bugger all atmosphere in there and we ran into the back of the group in front of us (this has happened every single time we've done this maze!) 

The only reason I gave it 1 point at all is because of an actor in the house at the end. My dad and I hung back from the group we had run into. He entered the house first and got pounced on by two actors, I went in right after him, I saw the two actors who went for my dad turn round to make creepy noises at me but I didn't see a 3rd hidden actor who jumped at me from the side as I fully entered the room, he was the only actor of the night to genuinely make me jump and he also mafe a spider motion all the way up the back of my neck to the top of my head with his fingers xD This was a great way to end what was a really crappy maze and that 1 point goes to that actor. If not for that I would have given it nothing. 

I'm inclined never to bother with this maze ever again, it's just not worth the queue time. We experienced two delays in the time we queued for it and were given no clue as to what on earth the problem was or why it was taking so long to solve.

The best run we ever had in this maze was last year when it was dark and pouring with rain at the end of the night because it actually gave the darn thing some atmosphere >.<

Overall park atmosphere: 3/10

Hearing the speakers turned up loud during the early hours of the day gave me hope for later on but the audio just seemed to vanish at night. I miss the old atmospheric music that would be playing as you walked around and stuff :( Lighting sucked again like last year. The funny thing was, while we queued for Creek Freak in daylight I pointed out to my dad that there were colour filters over one of the queue floodlights. When we queued again at night though the queue was in darkness. The lights flickered on and off a few times like they were being tested but they then just remained off xD

So yeah, audio, lighting and general theming were all pretty crap again and why on earth are there no roaming actors? >.<

I can't comment on the Amity High vampire folk cos we didn't spend much time in the area. Didn't seem like shows would be every 20 mins with how quiet it was and we didn't have time to wait around. Nor can I comment on Containment because my dad refuses to do it after our second go one year was incredibly bad.

@CocoDo u get put on your knees in the scene where the trough is I have to be careful I have injured it recently and it really hurts and I don't want to avoid disappointment at the beginning when I have the opportunity to turn back unless it's all really changed since press night I will be able to go through crawl sections ok in Blair platform and creek freak I thinking to put a knee pad on so I don't bash it against anything. 

Just now, MattyMoo said:

Where did that comment from @Jack go? :o

Care to elaborate and what you saw on the Island Like No Other last night? (perhaps with a careful choice of words regarding the clientele)

Myself and @Marc were on park last night. We didn't have any complaints of clientele. Was much busier for a Thursday with 1 train ops. 

We popped to Thorpe on Friday eve, sadly it was total rubbish we encountered 3 actors other than the intro on Creek freak massacre, and Platform was the worst I've ever encountered.

We left after doing these 2 as the weather was **** as we were soaked through after a monsoon 5 minutes

Noticed some nice changes to Creek Freak yesterday - firstly seems like a lot of the lighting has been adjusted, the parts where you squeeze through the spinning parts are particularly effective, there was also a tonne more smoke than previously - it made it very disorienting in there and helped add some more scares!

Finally went to Fright Nights this year, so I’ll drop a few thoughts.

Creek Freak:

• Great lighting and theming 
  • Decent length maze, just about right
  • Queue ok but seeing abandoned Loggers is sad 
  • surprise finally 

8/10

Living Nightmare:

• Lacking actors and scares
  •  Nothing  new or interesting 
  • Anticlimactic finale (lack of finale)
  • Set pieces still great

5/10

Platform 15:

• Noticeably different beginning and finale 
  • Feels atmospheric 
  • Some interesting effects around and leading upto the abandoned CCR train 
  • Tunnel felt noticeably longer this time
  • felt a more rounded experience 

7/10

Amity High was a short but sweet dance show where actors dressed in American high school outfits danced to numerous cheesy/spooky songs. It wasn’t anything spectacular but still made a nice change and difference from just having mazes.

Didn't have time for Do or Die or Blair Witch, so if I return I will give them a try. 

Event seemed noticeably better this year, especially compared to 2018’s disaster, but there is still much room for improvement. Could see a few more roaming actors perhaps and some better lighting around the park would go a long way. There needs to be more zoned audio in the park too as it seemed to be lacking for this year’s event. It was a shame to see Saw Alive abandoned, even if it was not the best maze.