Fright Nights 2019 - Spoilers

JoshC.

Jeez this has spiralled a bit.  Whilst it’s not ideal to cut yourself at a theme park and for me it did hurt a fair bit, not once did I think “oh I’ll pop into guest services and make a complaint” - at the end of the day, the medic cleaned up the cut and said she would flag it up so hopefully someone had a look in that tunnel.  

Accidents happen and yeah it’s not fun to walk around with blood on your trousers, it’s not like my leg was hanging off.  There are many ways that guests can injure themselves at a theme park - mostly due to the guests pratting about.  That said when you are following the rules and hurt yourself through no fault of your own it’s not great.

With the amount of people who have gone through that tunnel it’s inevitable that it would endure wear and tear as would any maze so I’m assuming a nail must have come loose at some point.  For me I was just grateful that the cut was cleaned up to avoid infection.  In hindsight I should probably have alerted staff at the maze however at the time I just assumed I’d bashed my knee awkwardly owing to the fact that the people I was with were fine (I once grazed my knee quite badly and it bled on IACGMOOH because I don’t crawl well).  

Anyway......

Went to Thorpe again today and it was pretty busy but ended up having probably the best day there for a long while.

Quantum opened (whoop) so had 2 rides on that and it felt pretty intense maybe because I’ve not ridden it since I can’t remember.  Stealth front row - once in daylight and once in the dark was brill.

Staff were really friendly and the actors today I thought were brilliant.

The Amity High guys are so good and I love the way they interact with guests as well as their dancing.

We didn’t do Blair Witch as I thought it was a bit naff 2 weeks ago and I’ve not even tried P15 yet.

Creek Freak was fab - the actors in there have such energy it makes me feel really old.  Thankfully avoided the tunnel on both goes - on our second go I was finding the smells and smoke in there quite overpowering so put my scarf across my face as I felt I couldn’t breath (that plus anxiety).  We were at the back of the group and the first chainsaw guy had already scared the people in front but could see my niece and I were ok - he then gestured at me to pull the scarf down and I thought he was going to rev his chainsaw or chase us but he asked if I didn’t like the smell and I explained that it was affecting my breathing so he let us past which I thought was nice.  We ended up with a teenager attached to us in the strobe section as she’d got split up from her friends and was bricking it so my niece and I lead her through the strobes and to the exit.  Guy with the chainsaw at the end was brilliant and full on chasing people out.

Living Nightmare - oh dear.  Got a couple of jumps but it’s literally like a walk through unlike when it was Cabin in the Woods and you were in there for a decent amount of time.  Just feels rushed and a bit of a waste of time - we did have Negan at the beginning which was the best bit as the actor was pretty good.

Do Or Die - never been a massive fan of this maze however I prefer it over Living Nightmare.  Tonight was the best run through ever - my niece and I screamed so much and the actors in there was pretty intense.  In the first shipping container thing, my niece and I got split up from the rest of the group and went in this weird side corridor thing and in this kind of tiny side room where 2 actors were talking to us and telling me I was in the wrong place while pointing at my hoodie (was wearing a Galactica one) - after a couple of minutes they let us past and shouted at me that “it’s not even a good ride” which made us laugh.  By this point the rest of the group were no where to be seen so for the rest of the maze we had actors jumping out at us from all angles - I came out actually shaking and my voice was sore from screaming so much - very very impressed with the guys in there tonight.

So yeah whilst it’s not the best fright nights it definitely beats last years event - I do miss Saw Alive though but I think Creek Freak is brilliant.  For me, Blair Witch and Living Nightmare are pretty boring and a bit meh.  I’ve not yet tried Platform 15 this year and that Fanta thing wasn’t open.

Would love to see a maze return where Jungle Escape is - I loved Asylum and Studio 13 and it would be nice to have another indoor maze.

Impressed that Thorpe have also opened Quantum although it did break down towards the end of the evening.

Loads of guests wearing Halloween costumes today - saw several nuns, a few Billy puppets and a Chucky amongst others.  The park just seemed to have quite a positive vibe today which was really nice 

23 hours ago, Han30 said:

Would love to see a maze return where Jungle Escape is - I loved Asylum and Studio 13 and it would be nice to have another indoor maze.

If Asylum in particular (I guess studio 13 would be fine) came back, that would be a MASSIVE step up for the park. Asylum and EX10 were the scariest mazes to ever be at the park. The space is perfect for them. 

I'm desperate to see Asylum return maybe one day. I havent been in it since I first did it at 12 years old 😂

9 hours ago, LukeP_8 said:

If Asylum in particular (I guess studio 13 would be fine) came back, that would be a MASSIVE step up for the park. Asylum and EX10 were the scariest mazes to ever be at the park. The space is perfect for them. 

I'm desperate to see Asylum return maybe one day. I havent been in it since I first did it at 12 years old 😂

Asylum left due to political Pressure and stereotypes, The freezer maybe an option however to return

14 hours ago, RobF said:

Asylum left due to political Pressure and stereotypes, The freezer maybe an option however to return

I'm aware of the silly reason why it left, however I'm hoping the park can recognise its removal was a bad move in the long term. 5000 signatures in reality doesn't mean much to them. But I guess they didn't want to have to deal with it.

The Freezer yes is a more realistic option and id kill to see it return.

12 hours ago, LukeP_8 said:

I'm aware of the silly reason why it left

I'm not sure it is a "silly reason", whilst it was entertaining, to some poking fun at mental health is a dangerous game and puts the reputation of the park in jeopardy. The park had to consider the implications of continuing it, and whilst I'm sad it left, I agree with the decision they made. Additionally, the maze had been operating since Fright Nights began, and so it was time for a new maze anyway

Here is my review about yesterday I will try my best and excuse how bad my grammar is got there at 10 was not too bad to get in through security bag check nearly forgot to give my note to my carer to get a solo fast track managed to stay behind a little to find her to give one minute to give my note we got 2 solo fast track tickets for Blair witch. 

From 10 till 3 managed to get on all roller coasters except Colossus because I wanted to do that in the dark 

At lunch got my fast tracks handed to me did the rapids and headed on to my first maze out of the indoor attractions 

I give ratings to the mazes by the way 

Creek freak massacre I give that a 10/10 got an outstanding run through got put against the wall with a hatchet in the buzz saw I did not get wet and it was not on the next corner after that got in to contact with my first chainsaw he had me against the wall with the fumes wafting to my nose. When I got to the strobe maze it was very disoriented as people have said a fight nearly outbreaked with the guy behind me when turned around and her thought I turned around he thought I did it to scare him but I held dead end 5 times got out the strobe section and was outrunned before going to one in the finally chased by the the final chainsaw that lead you out the maze I was screaming so much I managed get around the same guy he had ago at me again but just went our separate ways I was lucky it did not completely go in to a full punch up inside the strobe section I would not punch back and for u guys hearing this part of my review I was nearly worrying he would of book the same slot of me in containment . 

Twd living nightmare I give 3/10 

My run through was average but only minimal scares that did not even scare me but the theming for this maze is well themed.

Warning big major spoiler 

Containment 5/10 first 2 rooms changed no mathamatic sum to solve as previous years  but there is multiple different numbers on the wall and u have to solve and encryption of the numbers there is high number and low numbers spaced out u can guess with the 3 spaced out numbers anyway room 2 is holes the actor. Will really help u out with on the incriptions on the pipes just listen to the actor very carefully this room is dead easy he will help u count the holes on the stones. Room 2 dentist dead easy as well teeth diagram is in the the box in the middle the code is there just the encryption is switched backwards 

Room 3 the patient u just move around as we says colder wamer and all that to finding the key I won't say where is because it will spoil the challenge even in the intro the scientist squirted us with a water pistol acting like it's decontamination.

Twd do or die  part 1 it was an hour till my fast track for Blair witch waited the actual 45 minutes we got on the actual bus then there was a technical fault in actual maze so me and my mate pulled out I explained the host who was dealing with  fast track queue saying that I got on the bus and ybee technical fault happened will u let me use the fast track queue later to let us go on and she said no she was so rude I got to Blair witch and I explained to the senior host what happened and he organized for me to skip the queue for platform. 

Blair Witch got to our fast track on time at 8:00 I give Blair Witch 8/10 

Got an outstanding run through I act got impacted quite well even that other people have said it's not that scary but my opinion I think it's better this year with getting a dead end on the first bit 

Platform 15 9/10 

Got a very good impact in the first bit where the train is he pinned me against the wall and gave me a direct contact face scare all I will say now is the ending got no conductor but a sleeper attack the other tour guide on the window they where busy arguing before they attacked the woman behind the window. 

Now time for my official review of twd do or die waited 35 minutes as the queue died down a little got an outstanding run through 10/10 and got the isolation booth even that the actor did not put me in there my mate went in the next booth I informed the actors I was there and he said wait there then I got that interact with the actor asked me a few questions then he told me to go get out before I kill u I did not get many impacts but I actually enjoyed it. 

For the rest of the night I did re runs on my favourite 3 platform Blair witch and creek freak there is nothing much else j can say about my reruns because I was expecting what was going to happen except in creek freak this is my review enjoyed the event more than last year and the amity vampires where on the bridge as I was leaving the resort and as a bonus I got a 40th anniversary pop badge the wicked witches haunt one they let me have it even that it was just for annual and season pass customers and I got a 40th anniversary t shirt as tbe price was dropped they did not have any mediums in of the fright nights 2019 t-shirt as they did not have that size instock.

11 hours ago, StevenVig said:

I'm not sure it is a "silly reason", whilst it was entertaining, to some poking fun at mental health is a dangerous game and puts the reputation of the park in jeopardy. The park had to consider the implications of continuing it, and whilst I'm sad it left, I agree with the decision they made. Additionally, the maze had been operating since Fright Nights began, and so it was time for a new maze anyway

I'm sure no body wants to see a whole political arguement as to why the whole thing was unnecessary and should never have occured, however I will say I disagree. There was little reason for it to be protested against. While I understand their points, its imo unreasonable (for many different reasons).

After my second visit on sunday here is my review of the fright night mazes.

Creek Freak 5/10

So after reading such good reviews I was expecting something decent. Unfortunately both times it fell flat for me. I got hardly any actor interaction, on my run through last Sunday the actor who was operating the saw on the stage bit was just standing there like he couldn't be bothered/was waiting for his break, we got nothing from him at all. I think the most I got was an actor talking to me about my hair but definitely not scary in the slightest lol. Also at the finale, the actor with the chainsaw was again just standing there with the chainsaw off, waiting for other people, so our group wondered out a bit non-fussed. Also of note the tunnel was not in use on sunday for our go at least.

Living Nightmare 7/10

I give this a good rating because of the effort the actors went to in the first half or so, really realistic zombie acting haha. We got some really good scares here, and although the maze should have been updated and the ending should have been better (what was the "Shh"ing about?) we had a great run through. My group of 12 preferred this to creek freak. I much prefer indoor mazes, I wish we had a couple more like this and scrapped do or die and platform (like the good old days...). Having said all that hopefully next year it gets a layout update.

Do or Die 3/10

Other than a few jump scares this was a complete mess, no story being told at the start other than a mumbling of a "community" when walking through the bus. The new layout is worse than the previous, this maze doesn't seem to know what it is. We had a much better run through last year, e.g. I was held back by actors and all sorts. This year the actors were in short supply/didn't do a lot.

Blair Witch 6/10

Actually a big improvement on last year. Definitely felt like a walk in the woods in a good way, it achieved what it set out to do. We got several jump scares and the final scene worked well enough for our group. I think this could be improved by having more indoor sections and actors dressed as something that scares people, rather than the crazy campers who after an initial jump scare didn't do a lot for us.

Didn't do Platform 15, we got to the front of the queue and then it was delayed for ages so had to abandon.

The vampire high school people - enjoyed the flash mob, hopefully continues in future and goes up to every hour, every 2 is too infrequent.

Park theming - non-existent. After a trip to asterix parc, I really noticed that they'd put a lot of effort into halloween theming and thorpe had done none, other than a job lot on buses.

Closing thoughts - the event has gone downhill in general from its heyday, and when comparing to tulleys there really is no comparison unfortunately! Hopefully next year we get a new maze and more improvements. 

41 minutes ago, jessica2 said:

After my second visit on sunday here is my review of the fright night mazes.

Creek Freak 5/10

So after reading such good reviews I was expecting something decent. Unfortunately both times it fell flat for me. I got hardly any actor interaction, on my run through last Sunday the actor who was operating the saw on the stage bit was just standing there like he couldn't be bothered/was waiting for his break, we got nothing from him at all. I think the most I got was an actor talking to me about my hair but definitely not scary in the slightest lol. Also at the finale, the actor with the chainsaw was again just standing there with the chainsaw off, waiting for other people, so our group wondered out a bit non-fussed. Also of note the tunnel was not in use on sunday for our go at least.

Living Nightmare 7/10

I give this a good rating because of the effort the actors went to in the first half or so, really realistic zombie acting haha. We got some really good scares here, and although the maze should have been updated and the ending should have been better (what was the "Shh"ing about?) we had a great run through. My group of 12 preferred this to creek freak. I much prefer indoor mazes, I wish we had a couple more like this and scrapped do or die and platform (like the good old days...). Having said all that hopefully next year it gets a layout update.

Do or Die 3/10

Other than a few jump scares this was a complete mess, no story being told at the start other than a mumbling of a "community" when walking through the bus. The new layout is worse than the previous, this maze doesn't seem to know what it is. We had a much better run through last year, e.g. I was held back by actors and all sorts. This year the actors were in short supply/didn't do a lot.

Blair Witch 6/10

Actually a big improvement on last year. Definitely felt like a walk in the woods in a good way, it achieved what it set out to do. We got several jump scares and the final scene worked well enough for our group. I think this could be improved by having more indoor sections and actors dressed as something that scares people, rather than the crazy campers who after an initial jump scare didn't do a lot for us.

Didn't do Platform 15, we got to the front of the queue and then it was delayed for ages so had to abandon.

The vampire high school people - enjoyed the flash mob, hopefully continues in future and goes up to every hour, every 2 is too infrequent.

Park theming - non-existent. After a trip to asterix parc, I really noticed that they'd put a lot of effort into halloween theming and thorpe had done none, other than a job lot on buses.

Closing thoughts - the event has gone downhill in general from its heyday, and when comparing to tulleys there really is no comparison unfortunately! Hopefully next year we get a new maze and more improvements. 

Good review my ones up above yours did try my best. Even that I put a negative in my review. 

On 10/20/2019 at 12:20 AM, Han30 said:

Jeez this has spiralled a bit.  Whilst it’s not ideal to cut yourself at a theme park and for me it did hurt a fair bit, not once did I think “oh I’ll pop into guest services and make a complaint” - at the end of the day, the medic cleaned up the cut and said she would flag it up so hopefully someone had a look in that tunnel.  

Accidents happen and yeah it’s not fun to walk around with blood on your trousers, it’s not like my leg was hanging off.  There are many ways that guests can injure themselves at a theme park - mostly due to the guests pratting about.  That said when you are following the rules and hurt yourself through no fault of your own it’s not great.

With the amount of people who have gone through that tunnel it’s inevitable that it would endure wear and tear as would any maze so I’m assuming a nail must have come loose at some point.  For me I was just grateful that the cut was cleaned up to avoid infection.  In hindsight I should probably have alerted staff at the maze however at the time I just assumed I’d bashed my knee awkwardly owing to the fact that the people I was with were fine (I once grazed my knee quite badly and it bled on IACGMOOH because I don’t crawl well).  

Anyway......

Went to Thorpe again today and it was pretty busy but ended up having probably the best day there for a long while.

Quantum opened (whoop) so had 2 rides on that and it felt pretty intense maybe because I’ve not ridden it since I can’t remember.  Stealth front row - once in daylight and once in the dark was brill.

Staff were really friendly and the actors today I thought were brilliant.

The Amity High guys are so good and I love the way they interact with guests as well as their dancing.

We didn’t do Blair Witch as I thought it was a bit naff 2 weeks ago and I’ve not even tried P15 yet.

Creek Freak was fab - the actors in there have such energy it makes me feel really old.  Thankfully avoided the tunnel on both goes - on our second go I was finding the smells and smoke in there quite overpowering so put my scarf across my face as I felt I couldn’t breath (that plus anxiety).  We were at the back of the group and the first chainsaw guy had already scared the people in front but could see my niece and I were ok - he then gestured at me to pull the scarf down and I thought he was going to rev his chainsaw or chase us but he asked if I didn’t like the smell and I explained that it was affecting my breathing so he let us past which I thought was nice.  We ended up with a teenager attached to us in the strobe section as she’d got split up from her friends and was bricking it so my niece and I lead her through the strobes and to the exit.  Guy with the chainsaw at the end was brilliant and full on chasing people out.

Living Nightmare - oh dear.  Got a couple of jumps but it’s literally like a walk through unlike when it was Cabin in the Woods and you were in there for a decent amount of time.  Just feels rushed and a bit of a waste of time - we did have Negan at the beginning which was the best bit as the actor was pretty good.

Do Or Die - never been a massive fan of this maze however I prefer it over Living Nightmare.  Tonight was the best run through ever - my niece and I screamed so much and the actors in there was pretty intense.  In the first shipping container thing, my niece and I got split up from the rest of the group and went in this weird side corridor thing and in this kind of tiny side room where 2 actors were talking to us and telling me I was in the wrong place while pointing at my hoodie (was wearing a Galactica one) - after a couple of minutes they let us past and shouted at me that “it’s not even a good ride” which made us laugh.  By this point the rest of the group were no where to be seen so for the rest of the maze we had actors jumping out at us from all angles - I came out actually shaking and my voice was sore from screaming so much - very very impressed with the guys in there tonight.

So yeah whilst it’s not the best fright nights it definitely beats last years event - I do miss Saw Alive though but I think Creek Freak is brilliant.  For me, Blair Witch and Living Nightmare are pretty boring and a bit meh.  I’ve not yet tried Platform 15 this year and that Fanta thing wasn’t open.

Impressed that Thorpe have also opened Quantum although it did break down towards the end of the evening.

Loads of guests wearing Halloween costumes today - saw several nuns, a few Billy puppets and a Chucky amongst others.  The park just seemed to have quite a positive vibe today which was really nice 

They had added padding now in the crawl tunnel of creek freak when I did it Monday night on my first run through I was taken the normal route 2nd go and third go took the crawl tunnel I went slowly both times what I moved my hands around to find the nail and it was fine I did not cut my knee I did get dust on my clothes though. 

Forgot to add for anyone interested, on Sunday I only queued 5 minutes for Blair witch as I did it around 9.30 on a Sunday and at that point the park was dead. It was showing a 120 minute queue at some points of the evening so this definitely was the right strategy haha.

Living nightmare queue seemed very short too most of the time (even when it said 45 minutes it was actually 20). Did do or die at 9.55pm as again the queues were 100+ minutes most of the evening for that, but only waited 15 mins or so at the end of the night.

So Thorpe have lifted all restrictions on Annual Passes (and staff free tickets) next week during weekdays. This means that Thorpe Park and Standard Merlin Annual Passholders do not have to pay any extra to visit (instead of it is being like £15-20). They still recommend you pre-book (for £1) however, in case capacity is hit:

Going to call this now - this will be a disaster.

The park has been quieter than expected this week, and the risk of being open all this week (when they're not normally) hasn't paid off in terms of numbers of profits. And they're clearly worried about it being the same next week, so they're trying to give the many annual passholders extra incentive to visit.

But here's the issue: this week was never going to be busy. Not enough school kids in the local area are on half term this week. Not enough people are off this week to go. Everyone is planning on going next week, as that's the time when the majority of people are off. It's clearly a knee jerk reaction to them having a bad week.

So now, there's going to be the masses of people who were planning on visiting, PLUS the extra of passholders who have now been incentivised to visit. Thorpe never copes well during half term; an extra mass of people is only going to make it worse.

Will happily eat my hat along with the egg on my face if I'm wrong. But yeah, I can't see this being anything more than a major disaster for the park, and complaints galore. 

4 hours ago, JoshC. said:

So Thorpe have lifted all restrictions on Annual Passes (and staff free tickets) next week during weekdays. This means that Thorpe Park and Standard Merlin Annual Passholders do not have to pay any extra to visit (instead of it is being like £15-20). They still recommend you pre-book (for £1) however, in case capacity is hit:

Going to call this now - this will be a disaster.

The park has been quieter than expected this week, and the risk of being open all this week (when they're not normally) hasn't paid off in terms of numbers of profits. And they're clearly worried about it being the same next week, so they're trying to give the many annual passholders extra incentive to visit.

But here's the issue: this week was never going to be busy. Not enough school kids in the local area are on half term this week. Not enough people are off this week to go. Everyone is planning on going next week, as that's the time when the majority of people are off. It's clearly a knee jerk reaction to them having a bad week.

So now, there's going to be the masses of people who were planning on visiting, PLUS the extra of passholders who have now been incentivised to visit. Thorpe never copes well during half term; an extra mass of people is only going to make it worse.

Will happily eat my hat along with the egg on my face if I'm wrong. But yeah, I can't see this being anything more than a major disaster for the park, and complaints galore. 

Completely agree. If they were going to do it they should have done it this week, or even weekdays and sundays at the beginning of Fright Nights which were dead - next week was always going to be busier as most schools aren't on half term yet. Now the park will be crammed with horrendous queues = lots of complaints. :rolleyes: