Rainforest Area

12 hours ago, mrmonkey said:

Harsh! I like them - but Merlin have a imagination void so I'm not surprised. Theme parks should be a break from the the real world - and we shouldn't equate 'does the job' to them  - there should be interest and imagination! 

I miss the days of nice interesting sounding names like 'Phantom Fantasia', 'Miss Hippo's Fungle safari', 'Mr Rabbits Tropical Travels' 'Safari skyway' 'Professor Burp's bubbleworks etc. 

I think it takes massive guts to name a rollercoaster 'the Smiler', brand it the way they did and even after a horrific first year and an awful crash that sent Merlin into free-fall, still come out of it as one of the strongest visual images the company has ever had. 

4 hours ago, Mark9 said:

I think it takes massive guts to name a rollercoaster 'the Smiler', brand it the way they did and even after a horrific first year and an awful crash that sent Merlin into free-fall, still come out of it as one of the strongest visual images the company has ever had. 

Yep, this. They absolutely nailed The Smiler brand in my opinion. Shame the queueline and station building didn't come out as planned, but that was Merlin cost-cutting mid-project (which is the same reason the drainage is an issue...).

I think I love the branding and theme of The Smiler more than the ride itself! Would be great if it got a refresh soon - the track is looking very green in places, weeds in one of the pits and I saw a photo of some of the themeing from the Marmalizer leg ripped off the other day... come back Towers Loving Care!

I wouldn’t say Smiler is the worst name, far from it when you have attraction names such as Raj’s Bouncy Bottom Burp or Derren Brown’s Ghost Train. The name Croc Drop isn’t particularly inspiring either band comes across as one of the blandest names created. Sounds more like a confectionary product then a ride IMO.

I think the names of Merlin’s attractions have always been hit and miss over years with some better than others. Blue Barnacle is probably one of the better ones in recent years for sure.

Smiler on another level definitely needs some TLC as it looks the most delapidated of the seven main coasters.