Thorpe Park 2020

Marc

We are rapidly approaching the end of the 2019 season so a good time for this thread I felt!

So what would you realistically like to see the at the park in 2020? We know there will be no new rides, but that don’t mean we can’t see some worthwhile improvements !

For me:

Firstly build on this years “year of events” bouncezilla was harmless fun, I’d like to see more of a summer event, I think they struggled a bit staying open late with no real purpose what saw it them cut, try give people more of a reason to stay later in summer. Would also like to see them try a firework event again - the park always had a great atmosphere during fireworks and it’s always a nice way to end the season.

Secondly I hope they can keep up the good work we’ve seen this year with ride availability and capacity (ignoring Quantum!) - this year we’ve seen a big improvement on something the park historically struggled with, rides were more often than not open on time and on full capacity, we also saw rides frequently on 2 trains during quiet times which is a big plus for those visiting during quiet times.

Fright nights - this year is a huge improvement on last, I’d like to see them continue with this, I think the park needs another maze to the quality of Creek Freak’s standards, the return of Big Top could fill that gap and would please many no doubt, but at the same time if we can get something new to that quality it would be great. Things like Amity High are also a great addition this year, hopefully we see something like this return and possibly expanded for 2020.

I think proper work to make the park more presentable would be nice. If they’re not getting anything new for the next few years, at least they can take some proper steps toward improving what already stands. Hence the next few points are just suggestions on which bits need cleaning up the most. 

- The area around Amity Cove and Tidal Wave is a big ol’ mess right now, and could do with cleaning up. So many games and garish temporary buildings blocking the view. You basically have to go round the back of the coke freestyle thing to even find the entrance to TW. 

- Remove ABL. Obviously don’t remove the rides. But the theme of the area as it stands is a big ‘wtf’ moment for every guests no doubt. And I feel the park would benefit no end by cleaning up and getting rid of this garish area. Theme it back to Amity Cove. 

- Removal of Saw Alive building. Just imagine if you were a first-time guest and saw that dilapidated, literally abandoned shed suck to the side of the park in plain view as you were coming in. It looks awful and needs to go. 

- Continue the painting work done begun on Stealth and Rumba Rapids. 

- Complete overhaul of the food offering at Fins. This should be the park’s proper restaurant. Not whatever tf it is right now. 

12 hours ago, Marc said:

Fright nights - this year is a huge improvement on last, I’d like to see them continue with this, I think the park needs another maze to the quality of Creek Freak’s standards, the return of Big Top could fill that gap and would please many no doubt, but at the same time if we can get something new to that quality it would be great. Things like Amity High are also a great addition this year, hopefully we see something like this return and possibly expanded for 2020.

There are lots of past horror mazes better than the Big top ever was. Experiment 10, My Bloody Valentine, Asylum/freezer. Big Top was good yes, but nothing like Asylum/EX10. They should strip out jungle escape and put another top horror maze in that area like its original purpose was. Or put Asylum/Freezer back in that building would be perfect.

32 minutes ago, LukeP_8 said:

There are lots of past horror mazes better than the Big top ever was. Experiment 10, My Bloody Valentine, Asylum/freezer. Big Top was good yes, but nothing like Asylum/EX10. They should strip out jungle escape and put another top horror maze in that area like its original purpose was. Or put Asylum/Freezer back in that building would be perfect.

I agree with that although realistically they won’t rip out Jungle escape which has only just been installed for something only open a month a year at most - though do agree it was a good location for a maze. That said shipping containers done right (experiment 10 as you say) are more than suitable!

5 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Breakdance it is then. No one ever says what flat ride Thorpe needs so to hell with it, a little breakdance where slammer is will do.

Honestly wouldn't mind that. Thorpe Park is more of a amusement park anyway, like at least it would be a permanent addition and something that will last 10 years+ or so.. I would take a Breakdance over recent current additions. I would rather have a breakdance than nothing at all..

Let's face, in terms of "new" things, it'll probably be another year of weird events, an updated version of Jungle Escape and maybe a retheme of a ride if we're lucky.

If the park can focus on actually improving the rest of the park, by means of repaints, refreshes and so forth in a meaningful way, then that would be good too. Though that's been said every year for the last 10-15 years I swear..

Ideally we'd see something actually new (I'd take a chairswing at this stage frankly) or a proper ride refurb (Rumba is still crying out for that), but that seems to be alternative universe territory right now.

A new coaster announcement please Thorpe... The Swarm opened in 2012 and derren turd train in 2016 so surely they are due something in the next few years? With towers getting the smiler in 2013 and wicker man in 2018 (I get they have more space but both are great rides), feels like we deserve something better than a rubbish VR train simulator. 

Not only that but the park has been looking very decrepit, dirty and tatty, whenever you looked at anything too closely you see how filthy and knackered everything is. Even the plants looked crispy and dead in queue lines e.g. the Colossus queue, and graffiti everywhere, it just feels like they honestly don't care about park presentation lol. You definitely wouldnt get that in disney (yes I said it- cliche but true.)

Strangely thorpe put a nice flower display near the teacups in a bit of the park nobody really walks through. So yeah a deep clean is what the park needs, and a new ride announcement would be ideal lol.

I think Merlin perhaps have just stopped seeing the potential growth of the park and that is why we are seeing little to no investment.

Literally every park at the mo is receiving decent investment beside Thorpe. Like when you compare Thorpe to other Merlin parks it is quite sad.

Alton: CCL Retheme

Legoland: Kiddie Cred

Chessington: Rameses replacement

Thorpe: Nothing

Back in 2012 Thorpe was seemingly going to overtake Alton with its rapid and exciting coaster and flat ride investments.. Look at where we are now..

On 10/24/2019 at 3:27 PM, LukeP_8 said:

I think what we all want, is a new god forsaken Rollercoaster to be announced some time next season. 😂😂 

And speaking of that, Why not rebuild it in a new way, plus a new manufacturer, Vekoma. And place it at Thorpe Park Resort, behind The Swarm. It also may be bigger. I'll make it themed with a darker/medieval look, like Transylvania, like Flug Der Daemonen (Flight of the Demon) at Heide Park. Besides, I don't mind how many people will attend to the area. I would call Knightmare's area as "Dark Kingdom". And besides, to make Knightmare more appealing, why not have its old theming back in Koba Portopialand in Japan, as BMRX (Or Bavarian Mountain Railroad).

7 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

One rumour about next year never fails to make me cringe really.

Enthusiasts who actually think Thorpe are getting an RMC next year:

tom.jpg.ced09ecea02772762c138e16b47393dc.jpg

People might as well believe in the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus if they genuinely think Thorpe are getting an RMC either next year or ANY year for that matter in the current state of affairs with the park.

I mean, I wouldn't say never for Thorpe (or any UK park) to get a RMC in the future... The Loggers area would suit one to a tee after all...

In terms of previous development at the park, Tussauds HAD to build lots of new things in quick succession because there was NOTHING THERE! Prior to Tidal Wave you had Loggers Leap and NWO as the biggest things!