Thorpe Park 2020

Marc

MY SOURCES ARE TELLING ME THE RMC IS COMING!!

They tell me Nick Varney and Alan Schilke had a nice romantic dinner (Alan paying ofcourse....obviously) over the matter and now we are most certainly getting that RMC on the loggers leap site in 2020!!

This will be accompanied by the following.

1) Tidal Waves fireball returning

2) Colossus having a full paint job

3) Samurai being replaced by a new model

4) THE TOP SPIN!!

5) BIG TOP AND ASYLUM RETURNING FOR FRIGHT NIGHTS

6) Slammer finally being removed

7) Stricter requirements to get a RAP

8) Thorpe Park finally altering the wind policy so they don’t stop the rides if someone so much as farts near the wind censors

9) The car park being sorted so one does not need to sit there in a standstill for over an hour to get out..... fastrack for the car park exit here we come!! 

2020 is gonna be SICK!! :D

* my source is called HP source by the way.

10 minutes ago, Martin Doyle said:

Stricter requirements to get a RAP

Slightly off topic although I would like it to be an improvement for 2020!

Having experimented with one of these a few days ago for the first time with someone it isn't that that Is that issue! The problem is the staff not utilising it properly. 

At one ride (inferno) the person wrote the actual queue time down for us not to reuse it again in that time. 

On nine seperate rides (some the same) the staff member just looked at the card and waved us through telling us not to worry about having it filled in.

On the rest they just wrote about 20 mins  or half the actual advertised queue time down.

If it was utilised properly there wouldn't be masses of people in the lines for RAP as they'd have to wait in the park somewhere or join actual main queue for rides with smaller queues. 

There were several occasions where up to 8 people were trying to get on rides with one RAP holder. This they were a bit stricter with when I saw but wouldn't have been all rides I'm sure!

When people were confronted at Inferno for being there too early as they had another 20 mins left on the sheet, the staff member suffered abuse as he was doing it properly. The member of public wasnt happy as no one else had stopped him. 

Hopefully going forward into 2020 staff become stricter or utilise a better system

On 10/31/2019 at 7:28 AM, Martin Doyle said:

People might as well believe in the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus if they genuinely think Thorpe are getting an RMC either next year or ANY year for that matter in the current state of affairs with the park.

Or even Jack Skellington! Or should we call him, The Pumpkin King!

23 hours ago, Martin Doyle said:

MY SOURCES ARE TELLING ME THE RMC IS COMING!!

They tell me Nick Varney and Alan Schilke had a nice romantic dinner (Alan paying ofcourse....obviously) over the matter and now we are most certainly getting that RMC on the loggers leap site in 2020!!

This will be accompanied by the following.

1) Tidal Waves fireball returning

2) Colossus having a full paint job

3) Samurai being replaced by a new model

4) THE TOP SPIN!!

5) BIG TOP AND ASYLUM RETURNING FOR FRIGHT NIGHTS

6) Slammer finally being removed

7) Stricter requirements to get a RAP

8) Thorpe Park finally altering the wind policy so they don’t stop the rides if someone so much as farts near the wind censors

9) The car park being sorted so one does not need to sit there in a standstill for over an hour to get out..... fastrack for the car park exit here we come!! 

2020 is gonna be SICK!! :D

* my source is called HP source by the way.

Imagine? The thing is, it isnt even that hard for them to do and would improve the park NO END! But they are too lazy these days to do that I reckon.

My 2020 realistic wishlist? It's tough to know what to suggest and keep realistic knowing that Merlin are investing else-where in the portfolio, other parks are seeing increased investment over Thorpe, Alton would be due their next SW within 3 years and so a new Thorpe coaster wouldn't want to compete, the taking over of Merlin by Lego (they need time to settle into a direction) etc.

A newly published Mid Term Development Plan that updates the previous, now expired one. Given the new Head Of Thorpe being there a year, she will probably have a direction now.

Build on Fright Nights "Island Changes After Dark" - Have the park operating as a normal park during the day, then as the sun sets rides start changing their music, lights change colour, smoke machines kick off, mazes open, actors roam the park etc. Give it that true "changes after dark" eerie feeling. Almost like the park is taken over by the witching hour..

Some sort of development towards a new coaster... Trouble is, Canada Creek / Loggers seems to be the logical site but Creek Freak Massacre and Platform 15 are so popular, would they want to milk another year our of them - or develop the area? Tricky one that... There are plenty of places to develop though: Swarm Island needs connecting up to Stealth.. So...

Continue the strength of the events that have been seen this summer. Bouncezilla was fun, offensive to the eyes and popular with the public.

In the absence of anything major next year, doing something with the Saw Alive / Thorpe Belle boat as a new attraction would be good.

Return to fireworks to mark the end of season. Late openings over the summer are great, but they just don't work without a decent purpose - Even some Fright Nights struggled this year..

A new event called Ride-And-Seek. no idea what it would be about... but I just liked the pun...

In terms of more unrealistic but possible:

New, decent flat some-where (no, not a top spin)

Complete top-to-toe, end-to-end repaint, repair, refresh of everything on park - buildings, rides, coasters, effects, paths re-laid and unified etc. Literally strip the park down to bare bones and build it up again, fresh and new.

The long-awaited Entrance and Car Park upgrades. They need more parking barriers, better parking ticket system, better traffic flow, more concrete parking, better drop-off / pick-up / coach facilities etc. Maybe even a second gate or 2 outside the park to make Thorpe year-round (Sea-Life, Little BIG, restaurant, new brand etc).

Work on the new hotel over the lake finally starting.

In terms of no-way unrealistic:

Time to start the process of owning "Six Flags Identity" and competing with Energylandia style aggressive expansion:

Corner off the whole of Old Town / Slammer for the 2021 coaster and area overhaul

Also Begin construction on new coaster behind Swam for 2022

Start preparation for the removal of Thorpe Shark and it's "entrance hugging" coaster that will replace it.

2 hours ago, EpicSmatty said:

There's a glitching effect at the end of the most recent video posted on Thorpe's Facebook page, followed by 'Initialising 2020'. Could it be a hint at the next thing to come? (probably not but who doesn't love a bit of speculation!?

It's simply the return of X. Goodbye Walking Dead. 

In all seriousness I don't think it means anything, just merely pointing out the countdown to 2020 has begun. I expect similar events to last year, maybe something new. 

Some school kids have been using fake NHS letters to get ride access passes and they were being handed out without actually verifying the legitmacy of them! My daughter had some girl she doesn't personally know on her instagram bragging about it showing the fake NHS letter and showing her with the wrist band and ID card that expires in 2 years! There was also a link to the NHS letter where anyone could edit and print it. I was about to take those instagram posts and email them over to thorpe park but the girl's instagram appeared to have been closed.

I have already just emailed Thorpe Park about this.

To me it’s simple. It should be blue badges or get in the main queue!!

The system is so broken now and it’s almost as if the parks are afraid of NOT giving them out for fear of basically being accused of saying “not disabled enough” so they will just take their word for it.

I do apologise if my thoughts on RAP and how it’s handed out offends anyone. However, right now it just feels as if they give them out to any Tom,Richard and Harry who rocks up to try and get one. There has simply got to be stricter requirements in order to get one going forward and then they also need to actually implement it properly in the sense of actually checking the times on the card and NOT allowing RAP users onto the next ride until the time has elapsed.

I utilised a RAP with a family member over the FN period for the second time in my history of visiting parks and it was a mess. It was one of the busiest of the FN dates and on 8 of our rides the staff member just said go through as I attempted to hand them the card. 4 rides we went on they filled the card in and said rides had queues of between 70 and 100 mins. The longest that was put down was 60 minutes! 

The member of staff that put the 60 mins down was getting abuse from two groups as firstly he refused to let one lot in (doing his job) as there was 6 people with the wristband holder. They claimed no one else stopped them all day which I had seen happen. The second group directly behind still 15 mins before the time that had been written was up and the father got angry telling him he was ridiculous and that his son couldn't queue due to ADHD. The staff member tried to explain it isnt a queue skipping scheme but to allow them to walk round or join a ride with a short queue. The man and his son stormed off in a rage. 

A very broken system! 

1 hour ago, Ivsetti said:

Now that Merlin have officially been taken over and the park have hopefully spent the year creating an LTDP that will actually return the park back to its former glory (its fair to say since The Swarm has been installed the park has become progressively worse with each passing year) one can presume that the changes in said LTDP will be implemented starting next year so unlike for the 2018-2019 closed season which we knew wouldn't have anything major happening hopefully we can see interesting reports of things happening at the park this winter till next year.

1 hour ago, Ivsetti said:

Now that Merlin have officially been taken over and the park have hopefully spent the year creating an LTDP that will actually return the park back to its former glory (its fair to say since The Swarm has been installed the park has become progressively worse with each passing year) one can presume that the changes in said LTDP will be implemented starting next year so unlike for the 2018-2019 closed season which we knew wouldn't have anything major happening hopefully we can see interesting reports of things happening at the park this winter till next year.

Don't expect an instantaneous switch. The take over is hardly seeing new people come into the business, it's just that the layering of people is different.

The park have always had a LTDP, the trouble is that it's been chopped and changed so many times that it just hasn't worked. There may be some changes we see, but they wouldn't be down to the takeover.

Equally, at this stage, don't expect to see anything exciting from outside the park. No plans have been submitted, and there's not even a whisper of anything interesting happening yet.

On 11/1/2019 at 10:20 AM, Martin Doyle said:

I feel like having Deluxe VIP Ultimate car park fast track exit tickets is the most likely 'exciting' 2020 development we're gonna see 😂. I'm sure they'll get gifted to "Celebs" from Love Island in no time...