The best we will get is an announcement for a new major investment coming soon (within the next 1 or 2 years) if we are very lucky. Nothing new this year is coming, which I think 95% of thorpe park enthusiasts have come to accept. 

Like Marc said.... I would much much rather they take the extra time to plan their next big move (which I'm sure is currently going on as we speak) and get it right, than for them to succomb to the pressure from fans and rush a new investment. This needs time, if they dont get it right this time, it could make thing even worse in the future.

Quite frankly I think people should stop pressuring them and let them get it right... I'm sure they know by now everybody wants a new rollercoaster  and I'm sure they want one too... Its just a matter of whether or not Merlin care. Which sadly I think Merlin are more interested in Chessington/Alton towers than Thorpe Park. But well have to wait to see what comes in the next couple of years. Hopefully this year they will focus on actually fixing some small issues at the park that add up to big issues... (For instance, removing the Slammer, loggers leap etc... There is alot to be done before they add a new Rollercoaster, they just need to pull their finger out and do it.

7 hours ago, LukeP_8 said:

I would much much rather they take the extra time to plan their next big move (which I'm sure is currently going on as we speak) and get it right, than for them to succomb to the pressure from fans and rush a new investment. This needs time, if they dont get it right this time, it could make thing even worse in the future.

I think you're overestimating the influence fans have here. Thorpe (and any park really) aren't going to rush a big new investment because fans (which make up less than 1% of visitors) are "pressuring" them. In this sense, fan opinion really means nothing: they'll add a new coaster when they want to.

7 hours ago, LukeP_8 said:

For instance, removing the Slammer, loggers leap etc... 

They won't do that until they replace them. Sad fact, but true.

tbh, Loggers doesn't even need removing for the sake of removing really. You can hardly see these days. I'd rather them invest the time, money and effort into something else. And anyways, the only thing I can see replacing Loggers is a roller coaster, since they wouldn't be able to open a new log flume there.

Slammer is easier to replace, but since Merlin rarely seem to invest in flat rides - and there's a very small list of suitable flat rides for Thorpe - it's hard to see what they could replace that plot with. I think it's more realistic to expect a coaster to go there and in the surrounding area than a new flat ride, for example.

So really, the bigger issue here is Merlin's "risk free" strategy. They won't invest unless they feel basically certain they can make some money from said investment.

10 hours ago, Glitch said:

In a recent talk with Merlin's CFO, she said that even the Wickerman at Alton Towers hadn't succeeded financially. Yes families go and enjoy the ride, but its still seen as a one and done. Remember the enthusiast market is still very much a niche, and so would the millions spent on an RMC payoff? Probably not, hence the need for a hotel and secondary attraction first to make it a resort.

If this is true, then just..wow.

Wickerman bought a noticeable increase in numbers. The brand is reasonably strong and I've seen quite a few people with related-merch. It's a slow burner of an attraction too; it had the instant hit, and it'll also have to repeat value of people coming back to it in years to come. 

If everything that Wickerman has done for the park hasn't led Merlin to say it's been a financial success, then maybe, just maybe, they're setting the bar too high.

An article was recently posted discussing the accessibility of some UK theme parks. Within it, there's an interesting quote re Thorpe:

In fact, as part of our long-term plan and from reviewing our producers and guest feedback, starting in our 2020 season we have increased the number of rides our physically disabled guests can experience. 

Taking this at face value, and keeping in mind that the park can't change the H&S rules for who rides certain rides, this sounds like Thorpe are going to make some rides easier to access for those, say, in a wheelchair. In particular, this could mean Inferno (which hasn't had a lift to the station since like 2004, for...reasons) or improvements to Saw's lift (which I recall being temperamental). Given there's also been lots of scaffolding around Inferno too, this could make a lot of sense, and would be good to see.

More accessibility is always good 🙂 One very simple thing that I have suggested to the park before is to get steps/small stools they can put in place as some rides like Samurai and Vortex with higher/awkwardly angled seating can be tricky to get into when you have extremely limited upper body strength. Or they could go down the Winter Wonderland route and employ burley Eastern European men that upon seeing you struggling to hoist yourself up and without any prompting will come over, lift you up and throw you into the seat 😆 (I think I enjoyed that almost as much as finally getting to experience what a Top Scan is supposed to be like) 

52 minutes ago, Lewis. said:

More accessibility is always good 🙂 One very simple thing that I have suggested to the park before is to get steps/small stools they can put in place as some rides like Samurai and Vortex with higher/awkwardly angled seating can be tricky to get into when you have extremely limited upper body strength. Or they could go down the Winter Wonderland route and employ burley Eastern European men that upon seeing you struggling to hoist yourself up and without any prompting will come over, lift you up and throw you into the seat 😆 (I think I enjoyed that almost as much as finally getting to experience what a Top Scan is supposed to be like) 

I guess the issue with steps / stools is that the point is you need to be able to get in / out of the seat in case of an emergency. If there's a time sensitive reason to get people out the ride, they don't want to have the additional responsibility of getting a step to get someone out.

5 minutes ago, Benin said:

Didn't they used to have a step for Vortex? My memory isn't what it used to be.

It's always easier to get out than in these seats for some so wouldn't be a terrible idea. But I also don't think they'd be used enough to warrant them.

Certainly used to.

I expect the lack of use these days is due to overzealous internal H&S more than anything else tbf

In my case getting out isn't an issue at all but I have genuinely really struggled (with Samurai especially) a lot over the years. It may seem insignificant but straining to get up into rides can and in my case has lead to pulling several muscles and being left in discomfort for long periods of time. I suspect H&S is the reason but to me that's flawed, I'm more likely to fall flat on my face struggling to get up into a seat than simply stepping up onto something and plonking myself in. Hopefully this is something they've considered as people with invisible disabilities still too often get overlooked. It's great that they're putting in an effort with whatever it is they're doing though! 

Nice idea for an event 

I wonder if it'll be popular, given how previous club events have been received over the past year or two, along with it being before the season starts.

Then again, being before start of season might help, what with it being an early chance for night rides too 

On 2/15/2020 at 8:45 AM, JoshC. said:

I think you're overestimating the influence fans have here.... ....they'll add a new coaster when they want to.

Never said we had much of an influence. Given we constantly non stop are getting attractions that no one wants, nor asked for.

And as for adding a coaster when they want to, is basically what was implied in the message when I said to let them take the time decide themselves. Hence theyll add one when they feel its best suited financially and when its really needed...

So the big difference if I'm reading this right is all new applicants to this system starting this Friday onwards after applying once will not just have full access to every major Merlin park in the UK with up to 3 carers, but it will last them an entire 24 months now......?

:o

EDIT: My mistake, it was a similar system to this last year which also had ID cards that lasted 2 years, it just excluded Legoland as part of the package (I think).

1 hour ago, Marhelorpe said:

So the big difference if I'm reading this right is all new applicants to this system starting this Friday onwards after applying once will not just have full access to every major Merlin park in the UK with up to 3 carers, but it will last them an entire 24 months now......?

:o

It lasted 3 years before from my memory, so that's gone down. Why would it matter anyway? If you have a disability it is unlikely to change in that time

14 hours ago, EpicSmatty said:

It lasted 3 years before from my memory, so that's gone down. Why would it matter anyway? If you have a disability it is unlikely to change in that time

A few reasons. Firstly, because more than half the people using it don't have a disability that prevents them from queuing. Its a farce! Also,  Some people have got injured, got a doctors note to get one of these for two years (or three) and the injury disappeared 3 weeks later. Finally as Martin says anyway, many also fake a doctors note. 

So the long term aspect of it does come with BIG issues.

39 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

A few reasons. Firstly, because more than half the people using it don't have a disability that prevents them from queuing. Its a farce! Also,  Some people have got injured, got a doctors note to get one of these for two years (or three) and the injury disappeared 3 weeks later. Finally as Martin says anyway, many also fake a doctors note. 

So the long term aspect of it does come with BIG issues.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face. Given my way, it would be if you DO NOT have a blue badge (Which now covers mental health), you get your backside into the main queue.

I'm sorry but when I saw them queuing in a massive cattle pen just to get the damn thing last season, the only thing going through my mind was "No way on this earth can you not wait 10 minutes for rapids when you are standing in this"

Scarefest was a joke. RAP queues for Wicker man going out to the plaza, Oblivion going right back into the arcade,Nemesis going up to the photo booth and smiler also going right down the stairs. The system is a complete and utter farce and the people I really feel for are those who GENUINELY need the damn thing who are forced to then wait in massive lines because of those who exaggerate (for want of a better term) a condition so they get one or indeed those taking doctors letters. Legalised queue jumping is what it is and everybody visiting the parks are made to suffer for it.

Honestly I half expect them to give them to guests with paper cuts at this point.....

Sort out exactly WHO needs it

Sort out actually enforcing the time card

SORT IT OUT!!

This new system doesn't sound particularly different to the old one.

As I've said before, Merlin have backed themselves into a corner. If they tighten up their policy of who qualifies for a RAP, they'll have hundreds of angry guests complaining they no long qualify, with many no doubt going to the press with stories of 'Theme park says I'm no longer disabled enough to get access to rides' or something. Keep it as it is and the system doesn't get any better, but they'll be less escalated complaints.

In other words, until Merlin are ready to soak up a massively negative, delicate PR storm, they won't change the system.

19 minutes ago, Martin Doyle said:

I'm sorry but when I saw them queuing in a massive cattle pen just to get the damn thing last season, the only thing going through my mind was "No way on this earth can you not wait 10 minutes for rapids when you are standing in this"

Never a truer word spoken. I do wonder how many of the holders children who actually have a bona-fide condition meaning they can't queue vs. those that just don't like having to wait for something in this instant gratification, bubble-wrapped world we now live in....

Funny that one of the most talked about things on the MAP group is RAP passes. Almost as if more people have them than don't...

10 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

Never a truer word spoken. I do wonder how many of the holders children who actually have a bona-fide condition meaning they can't queue vs. those that just don't like having to wait for something in this instant gratification, bubble-wrapped world we now live in....

Funny that one of the most talked about things on the MAP group is RAP passes. Almost as if more people have them than don't...

Snowflake society has won. Simple as that.

The people cheating the system should be ashamed of themself.

A signed letter from "Doctor Kelman" should do the trick.