For things that will occur during the 2020 season and isn't really something being done over closed season I felt it was right to create this thread.

Thorpe Park are getting proper lifeguards next year this year (link to job ad for the supervisor position):

https://merlin.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/5304?c=merlin

The description states that Amity Beach used to be run by the attractions department (didn't know that tbh) but they're transitioning to lifeguards:

This is a brand new role and is an exciting opportunity to develop and manage a new team of Lifeguards at Thorpe Park Resort. Moving from being inside the Attractions Department to its own individual entity in 2020, Amity Beach is being taken over by lifeguards. You will be required to work closely with the Park Operations Security Manager and the Health and Safety team to meet improved guidelines on Water Park management, giving you the exciting opportunity to trail blaze and innovate.

I'm not sure why they've made that decision but one could make the leap that they're planning on doing something to that area for 2020/ future years. 

Internally, there's been a huge push for lifeguards in the Beach for many years now. Up to now, staff have required no different training or qualifications to any other attractions and it can make people feel uncomfortable to work on it.

A huge bonus of having lifeguards is that it means the Beach can have deeper water and more extreme slides if the park choose to. Whether they do is a different matter of course, but it opens up a realm of possibilities.

The big issue is that lifeguards are more expensive and in greater demand than ride hosts (who need no previous skills or qualifications). This makes the Beach more expensive to run and harder to get staff for. I do hope that the park are planning changes for the area, since I imagine very few trained lifeguards will really want to work for minimal pay to watch over an outdoor swimming during summer..

1 hour ago, JoshC. said:

I imagine very few trained lifeguards will really want to work for minimal pay to watch over an outdoor swimming during summer..

Do they generally pay any better at swimming pools/other locations? At least Merlin give you the free tickets and some other perks.

Didn't even realise there were staff on Amity Beach before, just assumed it was unsupervised.

I think Thorpe would definitely benefit from some kind of amphitheatre, various places holding 'summer concert series' have been rising in popularity in recent years. Some of the best concerts I've been to have been at places like Kew Gardens, The Eden Project and so on. I can only imagine the kind of horrendous, cheap acts Thorpe would get but I think it would work for them. 

What was Island Beats though? I'm assuming just some vaguely famous 12-year-old playing music off their laptop? I'm talking about actual live music, established acts that people would turn out for. I've travelled all over the country seeing shows, so do many others. I think it could be a pull. 

2 hours ago, Wicker Matt said:

Thorpe just doesn’t get the crowds or clientele like places such as Kew Gardens. 

no one knows what Thorpe want, even Thorpe don’t know what they want tbh.

It doesn't help that's it's not near any train stations, so getting there isn't easy if you don't have a car, or if you want to drink at an event (which I'd imagine most would).

20 hours ago, EpicSmatty said:

It doesn't help that's it's not near any train stations, so getting there isn't easy if you don't have a car, or if you want to drink at an event (which I'd imagine most would).

What a load of rubbish, there's a shuttle bus running every 10mins lol more of which could be put on depending on event demand.

Staines station is also 35 mins out of London.

7 hours ago, StevenVig said:

No, there were some notable artists on the lineup.....

island-beats-tickets.jpg

I stand corrected! That is exactly the kind of naff lineup I envisioned them going for though. It doesn't surprise me that it wasn't a success 😂

I could be wrong but isn't the Eden Project just as remote? I saw a show there and there must have been around 5,000 in attendance, if not more! I feel like Thorpe could afford a better lineup if they really wanted to and could easily lay on more transport.

I think if people want to see concerts then they will go to an actual venue, not a budget setup in the middle of a theme park.

Alton and Thorpe have both played with the concert idea and it definitely has proven underwhelming so I think the park won't bother in the future. If they had a actual stage and a way of organising the events better (like Europa does) then it might actually work, but currently they don't have that dedicated arena area.

I honestly would like to see Amity Beach bulldozed for anything, I don't care if its a arena or a bouncy castle.

I honestly think anything would be better than Amity Beach at the moment, its such a worthless and stupid waste of space. A tacky outdoor waterpark in the usually very overcast southeast england. At least Storm Surge appeals to a wider range, Amity Beach and the slides appeal to kids only on hot days only (which is once every blue moon..)

It looks like a pile of crap to boot.

Concerts work in places like Liseberg and Tivoli, although the wristband system helps with that. You do get the odd big name playing them as well.

Doing a "park and concert" ticket at a raised price would be about the only way Thorpe could do it (plus a charge for MAP holders). Would require good organisation though. Tbh I'm not sure how Liseberg et al. do it.

13 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

I think if people want to see concerts then they will go to an actual venue, not a budget setup in the middle of a theme park.

Alton and Thorpe have both played with the concert idea and it definitely has proven underwhelming so I think the park won't bother in the future. If they had a actual stage and a way of organising the events better (like Europa does) then it might actually work, but currently they don't have that dedicated arena area.

I honestly would like to see Amity Beach bulldozed for anything, I don't care if its a arena or a bouncy castle.

I honestly think anything would be better than Amity Beach at the moment, its such a worthless and stupid waste of space. A tacky outdoor waterpark in the usually very overcast southeast england. At least Storm Surge appeals to a wider range, Amity Beach and the slides appeal to kids only on hot days only (which is once every blue moon..)

It looks like a pile of crap to boot.

Why does everything Merlin do have to appeal to specific just you. The beach is a key driver of families to the park during the summer.

1 hour ago, Benin said:

Concerts work in places like Liseberg and Tivoli, although the wristband system helps with that. You do get the odd big name playing them as well.

Doing a "park and concert" ticket at a raised price would be about the only way Thorpe could do it (plus a charge for MAP holders). Would require good organisation though. Tbh I'm not sure how Liseberg et al. do it.

Think as well capacity is a bit of an issue at Thorpe. From what I understand island beats was in Lost City, probably where bouncezilla was?? If so that hasn't got the best of capacity when you take into account the stage etc.... 

I agree, that if you want to see a band a venue suits better than a Theme Park, but to be honest, if it ups capacity I dont see what the problem is - anything that drives footfall - of which might be people who dont usually go to theme parks and might return - is a good thing. nothing wrong with parks trying out new stuff and seeing what works/what doesn't in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Glitch said:

Why does everything Merlin do have to appeal to specific just you. The beach is a key driver of families to the park during the summer.

Amity Beach is tacky and rundown, Legoland's outdoor small water area does what Amity Beach does and does it a lot better.

Amity Beach rarely opens and is entirely expendable, sure it does serve families but there is so much to be desired with Amity Beach, it is very dated and a eyesore when walking in.

Thorpe got rid of X (a much better attraction for families), I don't know why Thorpe wouldn't want to pull the trigger on the beach..

I wouldn't call it an eyesore, I like what can be seen coming out of the dome think its one of the best entrances/views to a park seeing everything as you step through right in front of you with taller rides at the back and side. Maybe I'm different because I grew it with it always being there so it has nostalgic value. 

1 hour ago, Ivsetti said:

It's open from May/ June other time in summer until almost the end of September. That's a pretty long time out of the months Thorpe operate.

During that time, on any moderately sunny day that area is packed with families.

In theory that sounds great, though even on sunny days the park seem to close it pretty randomly due to staff or maintenance..

It doesn't help that the British Summer more often than not fails us and people get wet from the rain than the beach.. I recon it probably operates 3-4 weeks throughout that time to weather, staff, and maintenance. Which isn't very long tbh. I honestly don't like Tidal Wave for a similar reason, though at least that is actually open even when nobody in the world wants to ride it.

I might be in the minority, but I just don't like Amity Beach aesthetically. It gives me tacky pier vibes, it reminds me of Blackpool and thats not a good thing.

I would certainly keep Depth Charge, but the whole beach area is a potential development waiting to happen IMO. Well, only behind the Loggers site, Slammer site, Old Town in general, the island next to Swarm, and the DBGT site when it closes in the next 5 years lol. I don't particularly like it but I guess there is more urgent areas in need right now.. 

20 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

Amity Beach is tacky and rundown, Legoland's outdoor small water area does what Amity Beach does and does it a lot better.

Amity Beach rarely opens and is entirely expendable, sure it does serve families but there is so much to be desired with Amity Beach, it is very dated and a eyesore when walking in.

Thorpe got rid of X (a much better attraction for families), I don't know why Thorpe wouldn't want to pull the trigger on the beach..

If anything its going in the other direction, thorpe have advertised for lifeguards, so your beach is going nowhere besides its part of the history of thorpe park.

Apologies if that doesn't fit your enthusiast agenda.

4 hours ago, Glitch said:

If anything its going in the other direction, thorpe have advertised for lifeguards, so your beach is going nowhere besides its part of the history of thorpe park.

Apologies if that doesn't fit your enthusiast agenda.

As I said, there is much more urgent areas in need of life- Loggers and Old Town being worse than Amity Beach by miles.

Amity Beach I think at least needs some kind of change in the future, that could be a bulldozer, or it could be a refurbishment. 

X No Way Out was Thorpe first big main coaster and a part of their history, didn't make it suck any less.. Hence why they changed it. 

And yeah man, my enthusiast agenda really doesn't mix with your Merlin-fanboy agenda lol

4 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

As I said, there is much more urgent areas in need of life- Loggers and Old Town being worse than Amity Beach by miles.

Amity Beach I think at least needs some kind of change in the future, that could be a bulldozer, or it could be a refurbishment. 

X No Way Out was Thorpe first big main coaster and a part of their history, didn't make it suck any less.. Hence why they changed it. 

And yeah man, my enthusiast agenda really doesn't mix with your Merlin-fanboy agenda lol

I personally would also love to see something replace the beach as it is a sizeable area with some potential but I agree that the whole old town section needs some serious action. Two rides just sat there dead when that whole area could easily fit a much overdue new coaster. Far as I'm concerned, everything from slammer all the way through to the back end of loggers leap represents a massive space to develop so I'd rather see that action happen than the beach go at the moment.

Walking through the old town area was just getting borderline soul crushing last season. 

On 1/9/2020 at 8:20 PM, Lewis. said:

I stand corrected! That is exactly the kind of naff lineup I envisioned them going for though. It doesn't surprise me that it wasn't a success 😂

I could be wrong but isn't the Eden Project just as remote? I saw a show there and there must have been around 5,000 in attendance, if not more! I feel like Thorpe could afford a better lineup if they really wanted to and could easily lay on more transport.

Most of these artists were current & relevant at the time of the event, so it's a decent lineup.

Let's also not forget that time Faithless played live in the arena in 2005