19 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

Isn't snowflake more a right wing buzz word relating to people caring for others or being emotive. People from the right wing often struggle with the idea of caring for others outside of their social circle because the idea of being nice to each other is so alien and foreign, it deserves to be ridiculed. See 'woke' and 'SJW' also.

People abusing a system full of flaws and potholes is not snowflake. It's scummy, it's taking the mick but it isn't 'snowflake'. 

I kindly refer you to my more recent post on what exactly I was referring to. I am not talking about the con artists cheating the system, I am referring to the mentality of "we can't say no to giving them out because it's too offensive". Because it seems that everything is offensive these days and people are offended by literally anything and everything. 

I think the thought process is more "if we say no this could likely easily escalate to appearing in the national news declaring that the park doesn't not view X as a valid disability and the UK park industry is buggered enough as it is".

The people who cheat the system are usually the first to complain when they can't do it anymore. Hell we've seen what happens when a height limit is increased on Log Flumes!

Maybe the problem is bigger than just Thorpe, as many of you have said they really are backed into a corner. I've said for years that having some form of general, official ID card would come in handy in so many situations. You can sort of get them now but they're in no way "official" or I think accepted anywhere as actual proof. I think it would work; I have a free bus pass, if I don't have my pass I don't get on the bus for free. The same could be applied to Thorpe and any other place that offers stuff for disabled people, want the RAP? You need your disability card. Like the bus passes they could even be scanned, maybe coming up with some vague info about the persons conditions and whatnot. Surely the technology is there. 

20 minutes ago, Lewis. said:

Maybe the problem is bigger than just Thorpe, as many of you have said they really are backed into a corner. I've said for years that having some form of general, official ID card would come in handy in so many situations. You can sort of get them now but they're in no way "official" or I think accepted anywhere as actual proof. I think it would work; I have a free bus pass, if I don't have my pass I don't get on the bus for free. The same could be applied to Thorpe and any other place that offers stuff for disabled people, want the RAP? You need your disability card. Like the bus passes they could even be scanned, maybe coming up with some vague info about the persons conditions and whatnot. Surely the technology is there. 

Actually a pretty cool idea tbf.

Something that requires work from the NHS / government to implement properly of course, but it would certainly minimise people fraudulently taking advantage of schemes designed to help disabled people (in all walks of life). Would work well with a tiered system too imo.

I don't envision a card system like that being implemented officially any time soon, which is a shame as it'd be decent.

Something that requires work from the NHS / government to implement properly of course, but it would certainly minimise people fraudulently taking advantage of schemes designed to help disabled people (in all walks of life). Would work well with a tiered system too imo.

I don't envision a card system like that being implemented officially any time soon, which is a shame as it'd be decent.

That is a fantastic idea! However, that would require a large amount of funding, from a government I don't think would spend that. It's not necessary, and old BoJo doesn't really care about theme park queues.

It would also rely on the NHS still existing in the not too distant future, but that's a whole new can of worms.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Oh yeah I have absolutely no doubt that hell will freeze over before we ever implement something even half sensible in regards to literally anything in this country but I can dream 😂 

15 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

FYI if you go up any RAP queue, wave a few (fake) disability letters/ notes and argue with the guy at the merge point long enough they'll eventually let you through because of how badly the park can't be bothered/ too scared to deal with complaints. 

Seen this happen a few times that it's ridiculous that people WITHOUT actual RAP cards are let through.

The parks then should focus on staff training. And if someone doesn't take no for an answer either get a team leader or security over. 

I was never really trained in guest interaction in terms of a confrontational angle, so it's clearly something needing addressing.

Though allowing people without RAP cards through is just poor staff action. Which then leads to the whole "well we got let on X ride" argument. It's infuriating.

Screenshot_20200303-090819_Facebook.thumb.jpg.61c02383944e114a123ba7bb3c6a164a.jpg

A new website - looks like they still have work to do on it in places, but it seems to be an improvement.

Interestingly, the Fright Nights page seems to have been updated, advertising two new live-action experiences for 2020. Hopefully with Living Nightmare's departure we are in for another indoor maze of the same quality as Creek Freak.

Screenshot_20200303-090728_Chrome.thumb.jpg.135e63553082607857a1628b4ce92c6f.jpg

A couple of bits of new info regarding 2020 events have been added to the website -

C7975A02-8F8E-4479-BE01-0CE95600363F_4_5005_c.jpeg.4f78e8dd4a650daf6032c3ba9655ca65.jpeg

"Brand new for 2020 live show", which could either be with the event from 4th April-31st May or lasting further into the season. Potentially a nice added extra if it's of a decent quality.

E21E37B5-5EF3-437C-BDBC-78263C0044B9_4_5005_c.jpeg.73ab2fd9af92fc0555807854c9f11eb3.jpeg

"Island food festival" 18th July-6th September, and roaming actors present in the park.

With Alton Towers also having announced a food-related event with Oktoberfest, could this be Merlin testing the waters in terms of demand for these kind of events? A kind of tiny, budget Epcot Food and Wine? 🤣

I'm not totally sure that me being the gluttonous hog that I am could handle a mixture of binge eating and "Europe's most thrilling rides" these days. It could be interesting but from my experiences of some of the truly awful pop-up ones we've had in Brighton over the years I'd rather just go to Camden Market. That place is food heaven 🥰 

2 minutes ago, Ivsetti said:

I wonder how much coronavirus fears will affect their 2020 visitor numbers. And if it's a big impact, how much this'll impact their future budgets for things. 

Sure Merlin are loving it. Another excuse for falling profits.

And on that news,

https://www.thorpepark.com/about-thorpe-park/coronavirus/

Covid-19 – Information for Guests:

The safety and wellbeing of our guests and staff is our priority and we will take all necessary precautions to ensure their continued welfare. As with many businesses, we are actively monitoring the situation with regards the outbreak of Covid-19 coronavirus and are reviewing and following the guidelines of Public Health England.  The advice from the health authorities has not changed, so our business is operating as normal and standard terms and conditions on bookings continue to apply.

If you are planning on visiting Thorpe Park Resort from an area that has been directly affected by the coronavirus AND if you are showing symptoms similar to those associated with the virus (for example:  fever, cough, breathlessness), we please politely ask that you do not visit and instead call NHS 111 for further advice and instruction.   If you had a short stay booked, please contact Holiday Extras on 01303 490033 regarding your booking.

For further information, please refer and adhere to the advice given by Public Health England.

During your visit, we wish to reassure you that Thorpe Park Resort is taking all possible steps to minimise the risk of contagion, including the implementation of enhanced cleaning regimes throughout the resort.  Rest assured, we will continue to act quickly should we be required to do so and will take all necessary precautions to protect the welfare of our guests and staff.

We ask all our guests to observe high standards of personal hygiene whilst visiting Thorpe Park Resort. There are simple things you can do to help prevent the spread of the virus, including:

• Covering your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
  • Putting used tissues in the bin immediately
  • Washing your hands with soap and hot water regularly, and using hand sanitiser gel
  • Trying to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
  • Avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean

Throughout Thorpe Park Resort, we have placed additional hand sanitisers in convenient locations for guests, and we politely ask that you use them regularly.

If you do feel unwell during your visit, please contact a member of staff immediately – maintaining a safe distance of two metres where possible.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.  

19 minutes ago, StevenVig said:

Okay, I'll just scream then 🤨

Not forgetting if you feel ill at the park then almost certainly you were already ill when you arrived. 

Staff doing restraint checks will have already been less than 1 metre away from you and not forgetting everyone else in a queue line

A Stealth stall is incredibly rare - only happened the once before I believe. And I can't recall many other instances of Intamin Accelerators stalling at the top (Top Thrill Dragster did it once with guests on I think? Aside from, probably only happened a couple of times across them all). And it's not something you can 'make happen'; it just happens!

34 minutes ago, 1729 said:

Well that's not the best, now they have to call in the emergency crane crew that is ready for if the ride got stuck. you have to lift a platform to fix that, but all it needs is a little push

Indeed. I believe the train is still up there now as the weather means it's not ideal conditions to send a person up there and give it a nudge! And since it's only pre-season, there's major rush to get it down. It's easy enough to reset once it goes down.

5 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

Considering the government's coronavirus mitigation plans I wonder how long until they force the theme parks to shut considering the threat is now at a stage where experts believe it'll spread considerably. 

Now this is an interesting one. We've obviously already seen Merlin's stance for now (adding extra hand sanitiser points, etc), and I think that's sensible enough. If the government do follow through with a full-on Delay stage, then that would inevitably mean the closure of theme parks (and likely things like London Eye, Dungeons, etc), which would be a major blow to the company of course. Obviously it's entirely out of Merlin's hands though if they close; I don't imagine they'll close unless they're told to.

However, the more interesting thing to me is what Thorpe (and other parks) will decide to do with some of their attractions that involve glasses. Many more people are going to be much more concerned with putting on 3D glasses / VR goggles, and the possible cleanliness. Whilst in pretty much all cases, parks do clean them, these cleaning processes are far from thorough. 

I don't know what to expect parks to do, but I wouldn't be surprised if parks do choose to not open 3D / VR attractions (or run them without those features) until the fear subsides. Even if it's not totally necessary, it certain avoids difficult questions..