1 hour ago, EpicSmatty said:

New food offerings is nice to see, looks like Fins Bar & Grill is being replaced by Infinity Bar & Kitchen

Weird one that, given that the Fins name and style fit in with the Shark Hotel and area as a whole. The Infinity brand feels like it could dull that down, which would be a shame. Shows the ever-seesawing direction really.

Other food changes:

-The Donut Compound has been renamed to its original name, Amity Donut Bites
-A new food stall, The Cantina, will open, where The Crust has been housed. I believe it'll be in house, as opposed to externally run like Crust. Be interesting to see what food it offers
-There are slight name changes to some other restaurants: 'Calamity Kebabs' and 'Sombrero's Street Food'

With some mentions of limited edition foods in the event schedule, it'll be interesting to see what the standard quality of food is like.

---

I do like the new map; nice mixture of looking nice, whilst also being reasonably accurate as a directional map.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 11:16 AM, jessica2 said:

Best Halloween event in Surrey...what exactly are they competing with there 🤣 

Assuming that they've now accepted that they aren't aiming to be the best halloween event in the UK anymore lol.

They once were the best in the country... However due to terrible decision making in the event management team, removal of excellent mazes and focus on profit driven IP events with poor cheapo mazes... The event has failed to deliver the best in the country for a long time. 

However last years was a big improvement

On 3/17/2020 at 6:13 PM, Ivsetti said:

KISS Event cancelled. Park still running. 

Following rides and restaurants shut due to coronavirus:

Derren Brown’s Ghost Train, Jungle Escape and Angry Birds 4D.

The Cantina

Nitrogenie

Amity Doughnut Bites

Fish & Chips

Peckish

Amity Hot Dog Hut

Wilderness Waffles

Old Town Grill

Source: https://www.thorpepark.com/about-thorpe-park/coronavirus/ (scroll down for updates to the FAQ's section).

Shame, but I think it was inevitably gonna happen. With everything being ordered to close, if Merlin didn't make the decision the government would likely order them to cancel the events. I trust the since complete park closure is necessary

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

It's Thorpe Park's 41st birthday today! 

Sadly Total Thorpe Park (a really really good fan website) has sadly now closed which is a massive shame but shows it's not just the theme parks themselves that are hit financially when hardship hits them but the entire community around them too.

Anyone know who ran Total Thorpe Park?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

2020 merchandise preview as shown by Thorpe's very own free PR machine JS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvPmWjgukO8

He's also got a pre-2020 season video with all the behind-the-scenes closed season updates lined up just like he did just before they opened in 2019 (according to the end of the video).

Pretty much confirms that this channel has a special relation with the park in terms of accessing insider information.

hasnt that always been known?

18 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

2020 merchandise preview as shown by Thorpe's very own free PR machine JS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvPmWjgukO8

He's also got a pre-2020 season video with all the behind-the-scenes closed season updates lined up just like he did just before they opened in 2019 (according to the end of the video).

Pretty much confirms that this channel has a special relation with the park in terms of accessing insider information.

Did you know that Thorpe Park Mania used to be Thorpe Parks free PR machine. 

Please forgive the terrible quality screenshots taken from my phone. I'm too lazy to watch the video again.

Jack's video shows some more new signage, which compliments the new entrance signage (which looks good):

104220660_2603669083204478_6036354235079

104130814_481344893170680_88804353811192

I like it! Fresh, vibrant and quite reflective of what Thorpe is really (and the sort of brand they should stick to).

And then there's this:

104127494_308392900321622_74268317797406

One of the blandest, dullest entrance ways I've ever seen.

The removal of the rockwork and other Atlantis-esque, no matter how decaying it really was, creates such a boring, flat look. The poles holding up the Dome sign feel in the way and yet invisible at the same time.

I don't know how common an opinion it is, but I liked the Atlantis theme and still think it worked with the park today (what with the Port / Basecamp / Shark vibe). Sure, it was dated and falling apart, but it had some life and soul in it. After this and the black panels of blackness on the inside, it now feels like a run-down Butlins...

Shame, as the other signage we've seen so far is good.

Looks more underwhelming than a deprived shopping centre, let alone a theme park. 

Sure the Atlantis theming was cheesy, dated and possibly made the place look like a Blackpool arcade. But it gave the place a fun, characterful appearing and like Josh said still fitted the park. Sadly it’s the norm more times than not for one step forwards two/three back, but it is what it is! I guess.

The other signage looks alright I guess.

I swear just before the 2019 season started we were told through another one of Sickstone’s pre-season videos that the Dome’s interior was going to be be completed in two “phases”; presumably the first part ripping out the old Atlantis theming early last year, and for 2020 by modernising the interior?

43D65997-19C5-4129-938F-3C9AD017FBC8.thumb.jpeg.917f71e6e8ca3eb39c889a6c0857787f.jpeg

Yeeeeaaaahhhhh, something tells me that idea might have been scrapped. So we are now permanently left with a poor man’s version of the Alton Towers Dungeon - black walls galore.

42 minutes ago, Marhelorpe said:

I swear just before the 2019 season started we were told through another one of Sickstone’s pre-season videos that the Dome’s interior was going to be be completed in two “phases”; presumably the first part ripping out the old Atlantis theming early last year, and for 2020 by modernising the interior?

43D65997-19C5-4129-938F-3C9AD017FBC8.thumb.jpeg.917f71e6e8ca3eb39c889a6c0857787f.jpeg

Yeeeeaaaahhhhh, something tells me that idea might have been scrapped. So we are now permanently left with a poor man’s version of the Alton Towers Dungeon - black walls galore.

All with the old flooring paint lovely and brightly shown creating the perfect mish mash of an identity! Love it! 

20 hours ago, JoshC. said:

I don't know how common an opinion it is, but I liked the Atlantis theme and still think it worked with the park today (what with the Port / Basecamp / Shark vibe). Sure, it was dated and falling apart, but it had some life and soul in it. After this and the black panels of blackness on the inside, it now feels like a run-down Butlins...

I think it looked great for years when Thorpe still had some of that family theme park vibe!

Since then they've tried to slick back and make the park more minimal, turn the dome into more of a club, so I understand them removing it. But they've revamped it in the cheapest possible, dullest way. There is literally no design to it, just removing all character. As always "phase 2" never arrives, "phase 2" is code for "not happening".

The old Atlantis dome at its best with the underwater vibe was really good, the scenery was great, although it got a lot removed and beaten up over the years. I think it only seemed dated because of the different direction the park was going in.

You could picture it fitting right into mid 90s family Thorpe really well, instead of 2010s era Thorpe. I'm surprised it was such a late addition actually! (2000 ish wasnt it?)

3 hours ago, Glitch said:

Interesting to see a vlogger concerned that rides weren't testing during their 30min walk down Monks, park therefore must be far behind Alton Towers in terms of readiness for July 4th.

TBF it doesn't look like they are ready, there was nothing at all in prep for covid 19 measures in that JS video only filmed a few days ago.

But I suppose on the other hand you could argue that in fairness it's more sensible to hold off all the signage/markings what with the high chance of  the measurement dropping to 1m. Would have been a pain if they'd printed and put signage up with 2m guidelines to then have to redo it all if it does drop to 1m. 

This looks awful.  The Dome always looked amazing as "Port Atlantis", now it just looks run-down.

Why would they remove all that fantastic theming and leave it looking so dull and bland?  Unless it was dangerous or falling down, I can't understand it.

See this parallels with what's happened at PB over the last 5/10 years, removal of theming and "fun" features in favour of a bland, corporate look.