1 minute ago, Marc said:

I’d say Chessington is a fair bit bigger bigger than Thorpe? The parks much more spread out, It has the zoo too to help distribute guests further. 

I wouldn't say there is much in it to be fair. Chessington is really on the smaller side too. Sure they have the zoo, but even with the zoo its still small. Their capacities cannot be too different, so I think saying the pricing for Thorpe coming down to capacity is kind of a BS excuse.

14 minutes ago, Marc said:

Of course Alton offers more but then Thorpe will always have the extra premium being within the m25, as will Chessington.

Yeah I guess that is a pretty good positive. People just love having a 70% chance of getting caught in a traffic jam while en route to the park. 

All sold out? So there must be demand at this new pricepoint. plus its still cheaper than walkup and can be booked on the day. I really don't understand why MAP holders find the need to complain about a normal ticket price raise. If anything wouldn't that mean less people in park. Besides you have multiple options, share the fun for £15 being one, buy one get one free another........ so in all lots of options so that you don't have to pay full price.

In terms of gigs yes, gigs do vary in price, I genrally go for the £15 ticket price point on a weekly basis, however if we say a stadium gig or theatre show were looking at £80, Muse London stadium, Reading day pass etc. Perhaps the trend we will see is prices within the leisure industry rising. I know the gigs I have booked for later in the year have added another £5 onto the ticket price. 

30 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

I wouldn't say there is much in it to be fair. Chessington is really on the smaller side too. Sure they have the zoo, but even with the zoo its still small. Their capacities cannot be too different, so I think saying the pricing for Thorpe coming down to capacity is kind of a BS excuse.

Yeah I guess that is a pretty good positive. People just love having a 70% chance of getting caught in a traffic jam while en route to the park. 

I didnt mean it as a positive, things in and around London are more expensive, its just the way it is.

It wont just be capacity, it will be demand too, seeing as they've sold out within a couple of hours of opening being confirmed i guess its safe to assume its been priced it right from a business standpoint.  

1 minute ago, Marc said:

I didnt mean it as a positive, things in and around London are more expensive, its just the way it is.

Then why is a park 10 minutes down the road priced around a tenner cheaper? Legoland too.

Looking at it further, I think its an target demographic thing. I bet you the types of people who visit Chessington are more likely to stay at home, families with young kids who probably aren't quite ready to venture a theme park just this yet. Where Thorpe attracts your teenagers, probably the most likely to return asap, but with that audience comes less spending while in the park. Which maybe explains the price hike, as they'll probably get toss all from their pockets when their actually in the park. I guess that would make more sense, still kinda bloody cheeky though.

Rides which require face masks for age 6 and over.

• Stealth, Swarm, Nemesis Inferno, Colossus, SAW The Ride, Flying Fish, Detonator, Samurai, King Pig’s Wild Hog Dodgems, Samurai, Vortex, Zodiac, Mr Monkey’s Banana Ride, Storm in a Teacup

https://www.thorpepark.com/about-thorpe-park/coronavirus/

Passholder prebook available as well, scroll down

https://www.thorpepark.com/tickets-passes/

dates bookable - 4th July to 27th September.

2 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

Thorpe Park does not warrant that price jump. It should be the lowest in price IMO, as it has the least to offer. Lets also consider that the park has not received a proper new ride since 2016 (and that ride will most likely be closed for sanitary reasons and also because its terrible lol).

Ah yes, Thorpe Park with it's 5 large roller coasters, 1 family roller coaster, 4 water rides and one of the best selections of thrill rides in the UK (and arguably Europe) offers the least out of the 4 Merlin parks. 

Sure, they haven't added anything *new* in a while (which is bad), but they still have a very solid selection of rides. I think people overlook that sometimes.

2 hours ago, Glitch said:

All sold out? So there must be demand at this new pricepoint.

Let's face it, the price could be £60 and the first day would still likely have sold out. People are pent up. People want to go out. They'll pay above and beyond to do that. 

When things balance out after a couple of weeks we can start judging if the demand is there.

1 hour ago, Ivsetti said:

They're losing all money from the revenue of the £55 walk-up visitors (which I think is the main reason for the price hike as a fair number of people walk up during summer based on how busy that outlet outside the entrance is from when I've visited).

They know they're going to have a significantly reduced visitor rate overall this year (excluding the already reduced visitor number from missing out on the first half of the season).

F&B prices have been lowered across the resort as well.

Not only that their financial reserves/ buildup for future plans have already been depleted massively by the crisis.

So whilst I think it is overpriced (the park opens ~8 hours a day on average, 1 hour queues per ride during the busy part of the season gives ~8/9 rides a day leading to a price point of ~£5 pp for only the rides which quickly adds up to anyone that's paying for >1 person e.g. parents) it is understandable (though I'm not planning on visiting this year which is probably why I don't have as much of a problem with the price hike as I'm sure even I would if I were).

Also that ride count average is going to go even further down due to restrictions (on top of what were already sometimes patchy operations) making the ticket price seem even more expensive.

There's certainly some understandable logic in the whole "we're having to reduce the number of people who visit, so we have to increase the price". The issue comes when seemingly Thorpe are the only ones to do have done this. 

Also, with a higher price comes higher expectations. Coronavirus will impact people's days in a variety of ways, but if the park can't offer the best possible experience in the situation, paying such a high price can lead to people thinking 'Well it wasn't worth it'. How any company pitches itself over the next few weeks and months could affect their reputation for years to come.

2 hours ago, Glitch said:

I really don't understand why MAP holders find the need to complain about a normal ticket price raise. If anything wouldn't that mean less people in park. Besides you have multiple options, share the fun for £15 being one, buy one get one free another........ so in all lots of options so that you don't have to pay full price.

Erm, maybe because some people these passholders know will have friends and family which don’t have annual passes (like me), therefore they need to buy a regular ticket like everyone else perhaps? And now they need to justify spending more money at Thorpe Park than Alton Towers or any other park in this country?

Just because something doesn’t affect a certain a demographic of people doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be criticised. £6 is a very large spike in price, even by Merlin’s standards.

Are you suggesting this price increase is a good thing then?

2 minutes ago, Marhelorpe said:

Erm, maybe because some people these passholders know will have friends and family which don’t have annual passes (like me), therefore they need to buy a regular ticket like everyone else perhaps? And now they need to justify spending more money at Thorpe Park than Alton Towers or any other park in this country?

Just because something doesn’t affect a certain a demographic of people doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be criticised. £6 is a very large spike in price, even by Merlin’s standards.

Are you suggesting this price increase is a good thing then?

Share the fun, much cheaper or perhaps pay the £20 more and have endless fun at the resort!

15 minutes ago, Glitch said:

Share the fun, much cheaper or perhaps pay the £20 more and have endless fun at the resort!

What if you’re a standard MAP holder then? I don’t recall them getting ‘Share the Fun’ vouchers...

And this whole “GeT a SEaSoN pASs” stuff I don’t buy either. In the current climate, I genuinely don’t think many families are going to be getting anything like a season pass for any attraction anytime soon.

Sure, some will buy it regardless and it’s decent value, but this brings in another question - who in their sane mind is going to pay £55 for the price of just 4 months maximum; especially amongst the uncertainty and hope of these attractions remaining open until the end of the year if there was a second spike or another lockdown?

2 minutes ago, Marhelorpe said:

What if you’re a standard MAP holder then? I don’t recall them getting ‘Share the Fun’ vouchers...

And this whole “GeT a SEaSoN pASs” stuff I don’t buy either. In the current climate, I genuinely don’t think many families are going to be getting anything like a season pass for any attraction anytime soon.

Sure, some will buy it regardless and it’s decent value, but this brings in another question - who in their sane mind is going to pay £55 for the price of just 4 months maximum; especially with the uncertainty of these attractions remaining open until the end of the year if there was a second spike or another lockdown?

Standard Annual Passholders can get anyone into Thorpe for £27.50: https://www.thorpepark.com/?promocode=mapff/ It's no longer branded as 'Share the Fun'.

The Season Pass thing is an interesting one. In the current climate, it may make more people buy them, especially if people don't holiday abroad / they decide to go to visitor attractions more often. But yeah, equally could mean less people buy them. Bit of an unknown at this stage.

The Season Pass always has the same problem in that it becomes less lucrative the later into the season you buy it. But even with all the discounts available and whatever, if you're planning on visiting the park twice during the season, the chances are it does work out better to buy one.

Thing is this. Yes the price hike is steep but clearly in selling out opening day, people are willing to pay it. So to Thorpe, that is a win. Inevitably its profits first to any buisness never mind merlin so if a park or any sort of entertainment put prices up yet the consumer still pays the price, that kind of is a win to the buisness.

If you feel the asking price is not worth the product then simply do not pay it. If you went to a shop and you felt the product was not worth the price then you put it down and walk away. To me the same goes for theme parks. Thorpe has prices in line with some the elite of European and American parks. Places like Cedar Point,Phantasialand and Europa park IN MY OPINION offer the premium product so I am happy to pay the premium prices. I do not feel ANY uk park offers a product warranting them sort of prices so I simply do not go. To me, its take it or leave it.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:30 AM, Ivsetti said:

Did some quick calculations:

Thorpe are open for exactly 95 days (as of time of writing).

Their reported limit (2012 LC12 planning permission) is ~ 20,000. (Realistically that is completely full queues on every single ride)

Taking a 1/4 of that (realistic limit to allow some semblance of social distancing + profit) = 5,000 people max a day.

95 * 5,000 = 475,000 people if they max out every single day (including the days which we all know won't be busy in Sept).

The park'll get just over a quarter of their reported attendance in 2018 (1.8 mil).

Very crude numbers, but does put it into perspective - thanks. I'm sure capacity will increase and things will change, but I do think Thorpe would do very well to get 500k visitors this year. And regardless of what they actually have been getting in the past, that's a massive step down.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:30 AM, Ivsetti said:

I mean we all know the park isn't planning on any major investment any time soon some interesting numbers up top cos there's nothing else to talk about.

It'll be interesting to see what Merlin, and parks generally, do to react to this. There's so many variables, but it could mean we see a boom in staycations, which will only benefit the UK parks (as seen in the late 00s and early 10s). Or it could lead to more people holidaying abroad - taking the opportunity because they can, which could really hit their resort/hotel strategy.

In either case though, I think that gives Merlin grounds to invest. A boom in visitors is great, and gives them confidence to keep money going in, and a big new investment helps retain those people (hopefully they learnt from past mistakes). A continued decrease in visitors is a kick up the backside to making them invest in something big and new to get people's attentions back.

Obviously that's a very simplistic look at it. But I wouldn't discount a major investment coming sooner rather than later.

Another Jack Silkstone video detailing what's happening in the park: 

All the highlights...

Admissions

• Cars will be parked as every other car
  • Self service ticket machines have been introduced 
  • The temperature check will be after bag search
  • You can only use every other turnstile 
  • As we knew, ANPR car park barriers are in place, which has also meant there's another lane
  • No paper maps at all this year (not sure if that was the plan pre-Covid, but it is said to be to reduce contact)
  • Lots more new signage which looks pretty nice

Hotel

• Improved system for checking in and out

Social Distancing

• Majority of outdoor places have yellow painted dots for social distancing. I wonder how long they'll last before fading..
  • 'No dwelling' signs at key areas where people usually wait around (The Bridge, outside Dome)
  • The waterski company have agreed to not pass the bridge at peak times to stop people watching
  • The park are encouraging 'walk on the left' in most places, with 'walk on the right' in some places where operationally necessary 

Rides

• Face coverings to be worn on 14 rides which will open tomorrow (side note not in video: 15 rides are due to open tomorrow; the exception to the face covering rule is Tidal Wave)
  • Social distancing in place on rides; each ride has own rules
  • There are 3 hand sanitising points available for all rides: at queue entrance, just before boarding, and after the ride
  • No Fastrack at open. Implied that it won't be in operation for the whole season. With reduced capacity, it's hoped there won't be a need for Fastrack anyway
  • Ride Access Pass is still a thing
  • Stealth, Swarm and Saw will still have photos

Food and Shops

• All food places will be operating as 'grab n go', with the exception of Infinity and KFC, which will have limited seating
  • The self serve Coke Freestyle machines will still be in use, though maybe not from start of season. They won't have ice though, for hygiene reasons..
  • 'Most' places will be cashless. The park obviously have tried this for a couple of years now, with limited success. But Covid has made many places cashless now of course
  • Shops to have one way systems
  • The refurbished Megastore will force everyone to have a basket whilst they look around. The baskets act as counters for the maximum number of people allowed in the shop
  • The Colossus shop, which is the only shop open where guests are forced through the shop after the ride, has been changed so that people walk through. The shop remains open though, and people can ask the staff member for whatever they want to buy, with all stuff on display behind a barrier

Events

• The park are still planning to hold some form of Fright Nights, though do accept it will be very different
  • Oktoberfest will be a day and evening event

Nothing particular striking or surprising really. I'm surprised the Merlin parks are mostly going for painted distancing markers - they either fade reasonably quickly or are rather permanent (and I expect they'll have gone for the fading paint). Means they'll regularly have to repaint them. Hopefully the walking / one way rules are all very clear.

Operating food places entirely as grab n go is odd. Indoor restaurants are allowed to open tomorrow too, so why not at least have that option there, with reduced table numbers. 

Will be very interesting to see how it all works out tomorrow. I've decided to wait a little while before going back, to at least judge what I think of the rules and whether I think it's worth it...

13 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

Another Jack Silkstone video detailing what's happening in the park: 

• No Fastrack at open. Implied that it won't be in operation for the whole season. With reduced capacity, it's hoped there won't be a need for Fastrack anyway

Someone might want to update the website...(again) plus they are still giving Hotel guests Fastrack for 10am - 11am.

https://www.thorpepark.com/about-thorpe-park/coronavirus/faqs/#q-I-have-pre-booked-entry-fastrack-meal-deals-car-parking-for-use-between-27th-march-and-the-3rd-july-what-are-my-options

Fastrack - If you have pre-booked Fastrack bundles for use between and 27th March and the 3rd July, your Fastrack will be valid for use on any date during the 2020 season (excluding FRIGHT NIGHTS and any pre-advertised closed dates as outlined on our website). You can therefore use this on the date you re-book your main entry ticket for.

If you purchased Exhilarate and Adrenaline Fastrack please follow the instructions from your original purchase. For Island Unlimited you will be able to collect this on the day of your visit from the Island Ticket Centre

44 minutes ago, Ringo said:

Someone might want to update the website...(again) plus they are still giving Hotel guests Fastrack for 10am - 11am.

https://www.thorpepark.com/about-thorpe-park/coronavirus/faqs/#q-I-have-pre-booked-entry-fastrack-meal-deals-car-parking-for-use-between-27th-march-and-the-3rd-july-what-are-my-options

Remember the park is still on skeleton staff, office job side. Besides I would be confident in saying with potential capacity numbers you won't be waiting very long for rides at all. 

15 minutes ago, Glitch said:

Remember the park is still on skeleton staff, office job side. Besides I would be confident in saying with potential capacity numbers you won't be waiting very long for rides at all. 

Understand that about staffing but considering that COVID page was updated last week it wouldn’t of hurt to correct info? 

Plus they are also telling people via twitter that hotel guests get Fastrack
https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/1277883715113431042?s=20

Swarm's rows are far apart (I believe something in the region of 1.5m), so effectively you're already socially distanced. Closing off rows does nothing in that case. Other rides need rows closed off to maintain that distance. 

Obviously whether one is socially distanced or not, it likely makes little difference as to whether you'd catch Covid is likely small 

33 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

TPM are, of course, on park for opening today. Follow thoughts and updates on our Facebook page...

In a hilarious level of irony, they're handing out leaflets saying they're not doing paper maps to reduce contact...

I reckon they weren’t bothering to do paper maps this season anyway. Lots of time and money saved if they don’t have to design and print thousands of maps for guests. Leaflets can be designed and pieced together much quicker.

Would just be more sensible to have a sign telling guests no paper maps rather than handing out leaflets though.