The Coronavirus Thread

JoshC.

When cancer and heart attacks are contagious then you'll have a point. Flu is well understood within reason and there are various measures in place to prevent it. 

Talk of people self isolating being the ones brainwashed by the media and you come out with crap like that. 

2 hours ago, Benin said:

Flu is well understood within reason and there are various measures in place to prevent it. 

That is exactly why the Corona Virus is so out of our hands. There is minimal ways to minimise it, those who try to contain it have only spread it more.

I'd rather get on with my life and not lock myself away for a month after raiding the loo roll isle at Lidl. The only thing you can do really is keep away from people when you're ill, obvious.

Even when it was less serious the news and papers have hammered on and on about the virus, it is no surprise some people are stockpiling pasta and bog roll.

You literally turn the news on and 80% is about the virus, its literally a drinking game at this point every time they mention it.

I hate Boris with passion and honestly I like the way he has handled it, just keep calm and carry on. Its a nasty virus, not the apocalypse.

I never feel like political discussions go down well on the internet, no less a theme park forum, but oh well...

3 hours ago, pluk said:

Refreshingly honest if you ask me. And I'm no big fan of Boris!

The decisions that are being made are made on the advice of medical experts, and with a hell of a lot more information than will be available to the rest of us, they're not just pulling the decisions out of their arses. Even if in some aspects with hindsight we get it wrong I think they are making the right decisions for the right reasons.

I'm completely anti-conservative, and anti-Boris. But I have to say that when watching the press conference yesterday where Boris and the experts discussed what they were doing and why, I completely got it. Impossible to know, of course, if they're the right decisions, and there's still - in my mind - questions that should be asked about the legitimacy of the research done (as far as I know, the research they quote isn't publicly available, which leaves some doubt in mind as to whether they actually are just plucking things out of thin air). If we take things at face value, though, it's hard for me to reasonably say what they're doing is wrong. 

Some of Boris' wording wasn't great (further still since it can be taken out of context), but there's not much that can be done. I really hope we don't live to regret the action take so far though, of course.

I personally never feel that making comparisons to other countries is a good idea. Especially since we're on an island, which drastically alters how this could spread. And also, just because other countries are doing things in a certain way, it still doesn't mean it's the right way.

3 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

Children have been said to be at the absolute lowest risk though.. Not many young folks have died from the virus, actually the current number for the age range 0-9 is 0. And 10-19 is a very low death rate. Young people are not the worry here.

Death rates might be tiny, but there's likely still a number of children catching the virus. They just might not be showing symptoms, or recovering very quickly. The greater issue is that children can catch it and pass it on to others (especially since children are less well adept to cleaning their hands thoroughly, or catching sprays from coughs and sneezes), increasing the spread to adults and, in particular, those at greater risks.

I find the current media coverage to be somewhat drastic and melodramatic. People mass buying crap and self isolating themselves are just perhaps a little too easily influenced by the current media brainwashing them.

Drastic and melodramatic? No. This is a severe situation. And the media are just responding to what the public want - as much information as possible.

The bigger issue is that social media is spreading false information, people are panicking, etc. That's where all of the major issues stem from.

There is more chance of crashing your car on the way to the parks that catching the corona virus.. But you still drive cars don't you?

If, as modelled, there are 10,000 people in the UK who have / have had coronavirus currently, that's about 1 in 700 people at the moment. On average, about 1 in 2500 people get seriously injured in a car crash in the UK every year. 

In other words, you are MUCH more likely to catch coronavirus than you are to be seriously injured in a car crash. That's not to scare anyone, but it's the truth.

As I say, I never think political discussions go down well, and this is probably steering the conversation in the wrong direction. It's impossible to know if what any country has done is right or wrong. But what is obvious is that we're in this for the long haul. A vaccine realistically won't be ready till next year. The virus spreads very easily. It's not clear if you're immune after catching it, or how long for. The worst is yet to come. 

As the general public, all we can do is do out best to look after ourselves, follow the advice and apply common sense. No one wants to be isolated any longer than necessary, and no one wants to see the country crumble. Hopefully we won't see that, and whatever happens in the days and weeks ahead will help reduce the impact for everyone. 

6 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

That is exactly why the Corona Virus is so out of our hands. There is minimal ways to minimise it, those who try to contain it have only spread it more.

I'd rather get on with my life and not lock myself away for a month after raiding the loo roll isle at Lidl. The only thing you can do really is keep away from people when you're ill, obvious.

Even when it was less serious the news and papers have hammered on and on about the virus, it is no surprise some people are stockpiling pasta and bog roll.

You literally turn the news on and 80% is about the virus, its literally a drinking game at this point every time they mention it.

I hate Boris with passion and honestly I like the way he has handled it, just keep calm and carry on. Its a nasty virus, not the apocalypse.

It's a nasty virus that is wiping out 200 lives a day in Italy. It's a virus that doesn't show signs immediately so you can be a carrier and spread to 100's of people before you show symptoms. It has no known cure, it's not really known if you are immune once you've had it. Thats the danger. Read up about South Korea where it was relatively contained until Patient 31 spread it to thousands of people and then it became out of control. 

All it takes is one idiot to ruin any planning.

And it's a proven fact we have idiots living in this country. Some are even in prominent government positions.

Fact is that it's a proven deadly virus and the government and business response is to shrug shoulders as if nothing is happening. Should've seen their faces when I mentioned Tarin had to self isolate at NHS request after showing symptoms.

Because even though she's young, oh look she's an at risk person because of underlying medical issues. 

I do think people are over reacting a bit with the store emptying, but I also think acting as if nothing could go wrong is a poor decision too. I mean if it wasn't for footballers being tested positive those matches would've taken place this weekend with full(ish) crowds. 

The current plan for herd immunity as well is just. Weird. We'll just let people get infected and then see who survives. Like what? It's a weird angle to go with considering some of the potential risks that go with it.

The POV of "oh it only kills the elderly and those with health issues" is exactly the problem I have with this. Numbers might be low in the other age groups but there are still numbers if it. I'd rather see measures taken to make those numbers zero then a collective shrug, talk of Blitz spirit (though we are clearing out shops so that might be correct) and be good with personal hygiene.

TBH, if everyone was forced to self isolate for 2-4 weeks, (that allows for transfer between households)the chances are we could completely clear a large portion of cases.

Although as above there are a number of idiots in uk as above and you only need one idiot!

The disruption would be less, and anyone coming into the country well maybe close borders....

10 hours ago, RobF said:

TBH, if everyone was forced to self isolate for 2-4 weeks, (that allows for transfer between households)the chances are we could completely clear a large portion of cases.

Although as above there are a number of idiots in uk as above and you only need one idiot!

The disruption would be less, and anyone coming into the country well maybe close borders....

Everyone can not self isolate, the country has to continue to function. You start making the necessary exceptions such as emergency services, utility workers, food production and distribution, fuel stations etc and it soon becomes a nonsense.

This is an excellent article explaining some of the reasoning and aims behind the decisions the UK is making. All guided by people who have a far far greater knowledge and understanding than any if us.

As has been discussed partially in the Phantasialand thread, plenty of German parks have announced / had enforced upon closures over the past 24 hours. These include:

-Phantasialand and Movie Park Germany, who won't be able to open until at least 19th April, after the local government announced the enforced closure of all leisure and entertainment places.

-Hansa Park (delayed until at least 20th April)

-The likes of Holiday Park, Skyline Park and more have said they're delaying until at least 4th April

The only two German parks to not announce closures are Heide Park and Europa Park.

Northern Germany is the least affected area of coronavirus in the country. Heide Park released a statement today saying they are monitoring the situation closely and working with local health and government authorities about when the season can start. So whilst they haven't outright said they're delaying opening, it seems all but inevitable. Europa Park closed Rulantica (their water park) over the weekend, and are going to make a final decision sometime over this week regarding the park.

With these closures, this pretty much leaves UK parks as the only major parks across Europe and America that currently plan to remain open as usual. Legoland is currently fully open, with Towers and Chessington having had successful previews ahead of their opening weekends next weekend. Obviously with the ever-changing landscape, it's impossible to know how long they'll remain open, but one cannot imagine it'll be for much longer...

25 minutes ago, Han30 said:

I think Merlin will only close the UK parks if they are told they have to - would be surprised if they did it voluntarily though I’d be happy to be proved wrong 

Completely agree on this. And I actually think at the moment the chances of the UK Government closing them down is quite low. 

I saw a photo fo the 60 min cattlepen queueline for the new duplo coaster at legoland and it just looked like an infection outbreak waiting to happen. People weren’t particularly spread out, even though there are supposedly markers to keep social distancing. Wouldn’t personally be visiting right now think it’s all just a bit risky going to crowded places regardless of where.

9 hours ago, Han30 said:

I think Merlin will only close the UK parks if they are told they have to - would be surprised if they did it voluntarily though I’d be happy to be proved wrong 

Well this is the crux, the government is currently saying business as usual. All our parks are currently running (Blackpool with its on the hour cleaning, Paultons, Flamingoland has no plans to close) so therefore they are following what the elected bodies are saying to do. I don't blame them for continuing. I expect that to change today as the amount of deaths double and the official number of infected people jumps by around 400 people. 

Before this afternoon's press conference, both Thorpe and Towers had cancelled their upcoming press events (for Black Mirror and Walliams World respectively). Not surprising, as I doubt the press would give the time of day to theme parks at the moment either.

Given that and the recent developments in the UK, it feels like we're significantly closer to all UK attractions closing.

Legoland is still planning on opening tomorrow. I don't like being political here but Borris knows exactly what he's doing, by not saying a definitive yes or no, the government can't be liable to pay up when help is required due to guests using common sense and deciding to postpone visits... I really do feel for the smaller attractions / pubs / clubs.

9 hours ago, TPJames said:

Baden Württemberg, Germany, goes into lockdown until 15th June.

Expect Rulantica and Europa Park to be closed until that date for the time being

https://www.regioactive.de/news/2020/03/16/baden-wuerttemberg-verbietet-veranstaltungen-bis-voraussichtlich-mitte-juni-Gp9wYDtPGW

They've only announced up to the 19th of April at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being June 15th. 

9 hours ago, Glitch said:

Legoland is still planning on opening tomorrow. I don't like being political here but Borris knows exactly what he's doing, by not saying a definitive yes or no, the government can't be liable to pay up when help is required due to guests using common sense and deciding to postpone visits... I really do feel for the smaller attractions / pubs / clubs.

And in doing so has almost killed a fair few industries.

Absolute nonsense to tell people to not go out to these places but not say what's in place to help these businesses out with the lack of trade.

Literally only do so to ensure that the Tory friendly insurance companies don't have to pay out millions to ensure businesses don't go under and people end jobless.

Awful.

11 minutes ago, Benin said:

And in doing so has almost killed a fair few industries.

Absolute nonsense to tell people to not go out to these places but not say what's in place to help these businesses out with the lack of trade.

Literally only do so to ensure that the Tory friendly insurance companies don't have to pay out millions to ensure businesses don't go under and people end jobless.

Awful.

Thats what happens when a party bases their entire campaign on Brexit, when all the voters care about is getting Brexit done. This conservative government doesn't give a single toss about the population. The French government has pledged that not a single business will be lost. Our government would happily destroy everything to satisfy the big players. It's disgusting but its what the country voted for so that's what you bloody get. 

1 hour ago, Mark9 said:

They've only announced up to the 19th of April at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being June 15th. 

Currently the government has banned all free time activities (including amusement attractions) in the state of Baden-Württemberg until 15th june, however this will be brought forward if the situation improves before then. 

I find it strange Europa park have only announced that they are pushing back to the 19th April as with current guidelines they will prohibited from opening on this date and won’t be able to open until June 15th unless the government restrictions are alleviated before then 

Presumably the local government have said June 15th as the worst case scenario, and will regularly monitor the situation and bring it forward if necessary. I'd hazard a guess that the first update will be in early-to-mid April, so it could still be possible for the park to open on April 19th.

However, if not, anyone who does (admittedly, very optimistically) buy a ticket for April 19th will be able to have their ticket revalidated. It likely allows a steadier stream of (some!) income for the park in these difficult times.

Merlin are continuing to plough on as normal.

Towers will open,

https://www.altontowers.com/plan-your-visit/coronavirus/

[Updated 17:15 17/3/20]

Further to the Government’s update yesterday and its recommendations on social distancing, we wanted to update you with what we are doing at Alton Towers Resort following the announcement. The health and wellbeing of our guests and staff is our priority, and as such we are making some changes to help ensure our guests remain safe during their visit with us.

It’s important that if you do feel unwell or are in self-isolation following a member of your household showing symptoms of coronavirus, we ask you to postpone your visit until you are fully recovered.

As a large outdoor attraction, we’re developing plans to maintain space and social distance as guests move around the resort, in addition to the enhanced cleaning regimes and availability of hand sanitisation products. 

We ask all those who visit Alton Towers Resort to observe closely our guidelines on maintaining a safe distance between each other and to upkeep good hygiene practices.

• Social distancing - Our staff have measures in place to maintain a safe distance (approx. 2 metres) between guests in areas where people normally congregrate (for example queue lines, show arenas, restaurants). Information on social distancing will be readily available at arrival and around the attraction, and our staff are there to provide advice and guidance on what to do.
  • Proximity - Where close proximity between guests and staff is necessary, for example in checking ride harnesses, we will keep this to a minimum and operate in line with the latest guidance.  This might mean that some rides and attractions may not be available during your visit. We ask you to also avoid cash transactions if possible.
  • Frequent hand washing - We continue to implement enhanced cleaning regimes throughout the Resort and place hand sanitisation products. All team members will wash hands at least every two hours and we ask you try to do the same.

We want to help as much as we can.  If you still want to go ahead with your visit, we look forward to seeing you, but we understand that you may wish to change your forthcoming travel plans.  Therefore, if you have booked a ticket to visit the theme park from now until 1st May, your ticket will be valid for use on any date during the 2020 season (excluding Fireworks dates on 6th, 7th and 8th November.)  We will review the situation in April to decide whether to extend this approach beyond 1st May.  If you have booked a short break but wish to change your booking, please contact our short breaks team who will discuss the options that are available to you.  Contact details for this team can be found on your booking confirmation. 

We appreciate this is a difficult time for many. We want to stay open to provide a happy and fun experience for our guests, but we will always act in accordance with the government and health authority recommendations and may be required to make further changes in the near future.  As we continue to monitor the situation as it develops, we will provide you with updates across our social media channels and our website here www.altontowers.com/plan-your-visit/coronavirus.

11 hours ago, Benin said:

Well its now come out that most businesses insurance won't cover them anyway, and the few ones that do - what has been said by the government already is enough. Typical insurance really, thinking you are safe when you have it, to soon be told your not covered on this occasion.

Honestly you can't believe anything nowadays - medias looking for quick story to make the situation sound even worse.

I do feel for so many of these businesses now going into the unknown.