The Coronavirus Thread

JoshC.

"Proximity - Where close proximity between guests and staff is necessary, for example in checking ride harnesses, we will keep this to a minimum and operate in line with the latest guidance.  This might mean that some rides and attractions may not be available during your visit. We ask you to also avoid cash transactions if possible."

with this statement it would seem like every single ride with restraints would be closed then? cosnidering the staff lean over the train to check restraints ect? 

unless they're gonna use a pole with a hook lol 

1 hour ago, LK_ said:

"Proximity - Where close proximity between guests and staff is necessary, for example in checking ride harnesses, we will keep this to a minimum and operate in line with the latest guidance.  This might mean that some rides and attractions may not be available during your visit. We ask you to also avoid cash transactions if possible."

with this statement it would seem like every single ride with restraints would be closed then? cosnidering the staff lean over the train to check restraints ect? 

I have amusing images in my head of rides being sparsely batched, ie 8 people on Rush in total, one on each end of the row, waving at each other as they swing past 😂 
Oh and could you imagine Hex...(I’ve actually ridden that in a small group, with nobody else...was actually pretty creepy, just us on our own in the Octogan 😱 But also the best ride I’ve had on it with nobody else talking and ruining it!)

In all seriousness, I really don’t see how the parks will still be open by the weekend. 

7 hours ago, LK_ said:

I think this is just a statement to cover their backs to make it look like they are doing something to prevent spread of infection.

They really should not be open by this point.

The thing is, if everyone operates with the 2 meter rule, then it basically means nothing can open:

-Food places can't open as kitchens are tight environments (or if they do open, they'll have minimal staff who likely couldn't cope with demand)

-Supermarkets (and any retail places) can't open tills

-Supermarkets / retail would have to have a maximum number of people allowed in, which would be very small

-etc

In theory, anyone going out at the moment should:

-not have the virus

-not be living with someone who has the virus

-have had very minimal / no contact with anyone who had the virus

-not be displaying any possible symptoms of the virus

So it does mean, in theory, going out is fine. The issue is that people will still choose to go out even if they fall into one of the above 4 categories. This is particularly true in people who have the virus and end up completely asymptotic, or in people who are still in the incubation period. That's why the 2m recommendation exists.

Because of that theory, being within 2m of a person for a split second (in terms of checking restraints) is fine, in theory, since the chances of the virus spreading in those circumstances is small. And presumably you'll only end up sitting next to people who are in your group, who you've stood next to all day, and who you've probably shared a car with, etc. 

Obviously that's all theoretical and there's still plenty of issues in practice. Arguably the parks shouldn't be opening as a precaution, but under the recommendations and theory, they can make it work.

My older sister works in retail and someone went into where she works, purchased whatever and then declared she was off home to self isolate as her husband has been tested positive - it’s idiots like that with zero respect or care for others that are making this situation far worse.  If the parks open on Saturday I’ll eat both my cats - I mean, that may happen anyway thanks to the selfish gits striping supermarkets bare.  Times like this I’m ashamed of how humans behave - pure greed and lack of consideration for others

I rekon if towers/thorpe open and the amount of people there end up being too much for the stuff they've put in place, ie gaps in queues, slow dispatches, ect ect they won't make it past sunday. if they do open at the weekend I think the open parks would be stressed to the limits and they'll end up closing for the weekend after imo 

38 minutes ago, LK_ said:

I rekon if towers/thorpe open and the amount of people there end up being too much for the stuff they've put in place, ie gaps in queues, slow dispatches, ect ect they won't make it past sunday. if they do open at the weekend I think the open parks would be stressed to the limits and they'll end up closing for the weekend after imo 

Tbh it could go the other way ..... they open but end up dead

3 hours ago, RobF said:

Tbh it could go the other way ..... they open but end up dead

If they open they will be dead. I work in a retail store in a shopping centre and from Monday it’s been absolutely dead, the whole shopping centre has. Merlin will be making a loss is they continue to open.

24 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Got a mate at the park on a 50 hour contract who suddenly had it cut down to 0 hour so he doesn’t have to be paid now. Fun. 

Not doubting the fact they may have been put on a zero hour contract, but given the legal maximum in the UK for working hours per week is 48, I think they might be overexaggerating their initial contract just a smidge....

43 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

Not doubting the fact they may have been put on a zero hour contract, but given the legal maximum in the UK for working hours per week is 48, I think they might be overexaggerating their initial contract just a smidge....

I often work 60 as a teacher. Just saying... 😛

1 hour ago, JoshC. said:

Perhaps I misheard. Either way, this has left lots of people in a bad way. How much is Merlin worth again? 

36 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

I often work 60 as a teacher. Just saying... 😛

Plenty of people work over the maximum (especially within the theme park industry), but you can't be contracted to work more than 48 hours per work / work more than 48 hours per week on average over any given 17 week period. Working hours is something Merlin has to be very hot on.

(Of course, there are exceptions to this rule. Working at a theme park is not one of them)