The Coronavirus Thread

JoshC.

We now have the capacity and capability to test its self referral for people still working  + there house hold. Out of my work base I think I'm the only one who sees any benefit of being tested. ( yes I have been through the drive in at gatwick) they were using 2 of the 9 testing bays onsite simply because people are not booking the tests.  We booked and tested in and out within 20m on the same day with results in under 2days

Europa Park, as previously mentioned, will be reopening from May 29th. It's been said they will max the daily capacity at 15,000, a quarter of their usual capacity (just for a fun comparison in park sizes, 15k is around Thorpe's capacity these days I believe...)

However, to book tickets you have to get in a virtual queue (similar to buying concert tickets and the like I guess). At time of writing, the virtual queue has over 28,000 people are is estimated to take an hour.

Will be interesting to see how it levels out in the future, and what this means for booking park visits in general over the next couple of months.

15 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

Europa Park, as previously mentioned, will be reopening from May 29th. It's been said they will max the daily capacity at 15,000, a quarter of their usual capacity (just for a fun comparison in park sizes, 15k is around Thorpe's capacity these days I believe...)

However, to book tickets you have to get in a virtual queue (similar to buying concert tickets and the like I guess). At time of writing, the virtual queue has over 28,000 people are is estimated to take an hour.

Will be interesting to see how it levels out in the future, and what this means for booking park visits in general over the next couple of months.

Man that is a pretty high capacity.

I think if any park can make this work, its Europa. The park is so huge and spread out, and the rides probably won't get much of a queue anyway with the limited capacity+Europa operations.

In terms of the new queuing system, you’d think with the lower capacity the queues won’t be as long, but then again the cars will be on lower capacity as well. It might still feel “busy” and the queue times could take the same length of time as usual.

Also, it may be a case of having far fewer people in the queue lines, but they’ll all be strung out and it will look really long! The hosts are likely going to have to re-adjust how to determine the queue times too!

2 hours ago, terrortomb said:

In terms of the new queuing system, you’d think with the lower capacity the queues won’t be as long, but then again the cars will be on lower capacity as well. It might still feel “busy” and the queue times could take the same length of time as usual.

Also, it may be a case of having far fewer people in the queue lines, but they’ll all be strung out and it will look really long! The hosts are likely going to have to re-adjust how to determine the queue times too!

Agreed. If capacity is a third (say 5,000 as per JoshC's mention of 15.000 being capacity), with coaster cars having half the rows potentially closed, if the park is at it's new theatrical capacity, then yes it is going to still be busy like a packed FN night in terms of waiting! That with certainly slower dispatches due to increased difficulty with checks, and cleaning needed more often, it would surely feel worse. I for one am NOT looking forward to them reopening unless literally no one flocks there, But with Europa's ticketing site spiraling out of control today, i'm sure many will want to be heading to parks than you'd expect.

If were looking at Europa park, they are reducing staffing levels. I think loading should also reflect group sizes EG capacity on silver star will be higher with groups of 4,8 as they can sit together with empty rows vs smaller groups will require more gaps between rows etc, will be interesting how its implemented by europa .

With reduced capacity In surprised merlin is still selling tickets with 50% off.

As when they reopen the demand will be quite high I'm sure.

The parks will definitely operate on a more thorough and intense process if/when they open regardless of the reduced capacities.

One idea that has been hinted is the return/introduction of virtual/online queues where riders may not need to queue as much if implemented. I.E Reserve N Ride.

A strain on the system and park tickets are very much a given should it get to this stage.

I think I read somewhere that family groups are restricted to 3 for when Europa opens? Might be wrong, but that's quite restrictive.

2 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

One idea that has been hinted is the return of virtual/online queues where riders may not need to queue as much if implemented. 

This was being discussed, and the issue as pointed out is the waiting around on paths, with them being clogged up as there will literally be nothing to do. A big issue if the park does get near the 5000 mark.

Just now, Mattgwise said:

This was being discussed. But the issue as pointed out is the waiting around on paths, with them being clogged up as there will literally be nothing to do. A big issue if the park does get near the 5000 mark.

True indeed. It’s hard to say if/how numbers would be controlled there. Only other way I can this working is areas indicated where people can go such as painted/allocated floor areas like those seen in large supermarket queues or Shanghai Disney. 

2 hours ago, terrortomb said:

The perk of Europa is that a lot of there rides have amazing throughputs to begin with. Even with reduced throughputs the rides will still have better throughputs than what some rides at Thorpe probably achieve. A ride like Silver Star or Euromir will probably still get more riders through than any Thorpe coaster, even if they do enforce staggered seating and operations are slowed down.

I honestly think the park will be operated with high efficiency while ensuring safety. I see the park having a lot of initiative and common sense, they are one of the best operated theme parks in the world.

7 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

True indeed. It’s hard to say if/how numbers would be controlled there. Only other way I can this working is areas indicated where people can go such as painted/allocated floor areas like those seen in large supermarket queues or Shanghai Disney. 

Haha, like our supermarkets where everyone queues perfectly to get in, then do what the hell they like! My experience today was a joke!

ANDI like to see it work well over here when even in this shot it can't be managed in Shanghai!

98026657_297673044589900_429970592482774

4 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

The perk of Europa is that a lot of there rides have amazing throughputs to begin with. Even with reduced throughputs the rides will still have better throughputs than what some rides at Thorpe probably achieve. A ride like Silver Star or Euromir will probably still get more riders through than any Thorpe coaster, even if they do enforce staggered seating and operations are slowed down.

I honestly think the park will be operated with high efficiency while ensuring safety. I see the park having a lot of initiative and common sense, they are one of the best operated theme parks in the world.

I get your point but we shall see Joshua, I personally don't think they will be operating anywhere near the level they have done before. It's about following rules of the government not the parks own efficiencies.  They even warned in their post today of excessive waiting times. Finally, none of the shows and parades will be going ahead either there remember, that takes a fair proportion of the crowds usually.

Even as a German you’d be lucky to get to europa park this season at all. Currently over 55,000 people waiting in the virtual queue and the hotels are fully booked out for the whole season.

Foreigners have absolutely no chance this season of getting there when you add border restrictions into the mix.

On 5/13/2020 at 10:59 PM, TPJames said:

Even as a German you’d be lucky to get to europa park this season at all. Currently over 55,000 people waiting in the virtual queue and the hotels are fully booked out for the whole season.

Foreigners have absolutely no chance this season of getting there when you add border restrictions into the mix.

I think it's fine. At time of writing, there's now only 1000 people in the queue and a 10 minute wait. It was just the initial rush of people getting tickets because people can't wait to go back. Things will level out by June I reckon.

Phantasialand is the latest major park to announce their reopening: like Europa, they'll open on the 29th, with a reduced capacity. They aren't doing any virtual queueing and their hotels aren't open.

Efteling have a wonderfully fun video explaining their guidelines:

This also confirms that guests will need to book a time slot for arrival. Not sure how many European parks are doing that (I haven't heard of any doing it?), but it's a big thing with American parks and their plans to reopen.

And my post train has taken us through Germany, Netherlands and now circling back to Poland...

Energylandia have outlined their plans for reopening:

https://www.facebook.com/EnergyLandia/posts/2534506719984738

Google Translate is a bit rough, but from what I gather the key points are:

-Drones used for disinfecting the park

-300 disinfection stations for guests to clean hands

-Staff temperature checked at start of each day

-Some form of mass temperature check upon entry for guests

-Ability to buy food in advance via an app (you can even order food when in a queue for a ride)

-Staff divided into areas, and to stay strictly in those areas

On top of the standard social distancing, wearing of masks, etc measures we've seen other parks do. Unlike other parks, you can buy tickets on the day, but it's encouraged as much as possible to buy in advance.

On 5/18/2020 at 5:32 PM, EpicSmatty said:

Merlin's Covid-19 plans for Madame Tussauds, would imagine measures for other attractions are identical or very similar: https://www.madametussauds.com/media/2207350/merlin-entertainments-covid-19-protecting-our-guests-and-employees.pdf

Indeed, this is just a copy of the generic Merlin one, but with the Merlin logo replace with Madame Tussauds' one (and some purple text changed to red)!

It references that staff have a coronavirus-specific training guide too, which I believe is over 60 pages long. Hopefully that's trained out properly...

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202005/7466/

An interesting article about Disney's and Universal's social distancing plans. Effectively, Disney are planning on marking spaces where people cannot stand (as seen already at Disney Shanghai), whereas Universal will be marking spaces where guests can stand. 

It's a little difference, but given the proximity of the resorts in America and the ever changing situation, it's a shame that a sensible message couldn't happen across both companies. 

Walt Disney World intend to open Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom on July 11th and Epcot - Hollywood Studios on July 15th. They've announced today that fastpass+ and dining reservations will not be in operation as well. So for the first time in over twenty years the Florida resort will be free for all. People who hate to plan things will have a grand old time.

Is it too soon for me to say it’s a great big beautiful tomorow?

Regardless it’s great to see the parks slowly reopen, even if current situations are limiting things such as shows and capacity. Some parks in Germany also opened today such as Europa (albeit on much lower capacity and changes with social distancing measures).

10 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

Is it too soon for me to say it’s a great big beautiful tomorow?

Regardless it’s great to see the parks slowly reopen, even if current situations are limiting things such as shows and capacity. Some parks in Germany also opened today such as Europa (albeit on much lower capacity and changes with social distancing measures).

Parks reopening? Screw that. Football is coming back