The Coronavirus Thread

JoshC.

German parks update...

Phantasialand

Honestly, Phantasialand doesn't look that different. They are limiting numbers, making it pre-book only, etc., and practicing social distancing. However, rather than 1.5m markers stuck to the floor, they've done it with fencing and expecting people to use their judgement (something Germans are largely very good at). Their park map has some details:

100673579_1890517751079350_5680062711015

101622409_1890631467734645_3290333488657

These are markers are at / near entrances to rides, shops and restaurants:

100886158_1890564057741386_5878070903908

(images from phl-info.de Facebook)

Crazy Bats is currently running only without VR. Everything else is business as usual. There's no major new Rookburgh updates.

Europa Park

Europa and Phantasialand are pretty similar with social distancing rules and the like. Europa have also introduced virtual queue options to Blue Fire, Arthur, Euro Sat and Euro Mir. The park are, interestingly, still offering some of their VR experiences.

Heide Park

The main thing to note from Heide Park, which opened on Monday, is that they are not running any of their dark rides. This appears to be a Merlin-wide thing, so I fully expect that when the UK Merlin parks reopen, we won't see any dark rides open.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:44 AM, JoshC. said:

Heide Park

The main thing to note from Heide Park, which opened on Monday, is that they are not running any of their dark rides. This appears to be a Merlin-wide thing, so I fully expect that when the UK Merlin parks reopen, we won't see any dark rides open.

Interestingly it looks like Legoland Florida has its dark rides open.

41 minutes ago, Glitch said:

Interestingly it looks like Legoland Florida has its dark rides open.

Indeed, I was wrong.

Why exactly Heide haven't got any of their dark rides open is unclear to me. It could potentially be guidance from the Lower Saxony region of Germany. Alternatively it could be down to staff not being fully trained on the rides yet. Or maybe budget cuts. Or any other reason. Still curious..

With Germany and the Netherlands now having most of their parks open, Polish parks opening this week and Scandinavian parks reopening throughout the month, two big countries that are still yet to reopen parks are Belgium and France.

Parc Asterix are set to reopen on June 15th, with a max of 5000 people a day. Haven't looked into other French parks in much depth, but with the exception of Disney (which I believe is classed as within the Paris region, which is still hit quite hard?), I believe other parks are reopening soon too.

As for Belgium, the story is a bit more interesting. The current date set Belgian government was June 8th, which is set for review this week. The current plan however is that this date could be pushed back until July 1st or August 1st, to which all the big Belgian parks have reacted...in an upset manner... https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/14563/Belgie-wil-pretparken-tot-1-augustus-gesloten-houden-attractieparken-reageren-woest.html

With Belgian people able to cross borders to Netherlands and Germany soon (if not, already), they're particularly worried that when they do reopen, they'll have lost the reopening boost that would come, along with the fact they miss half of the summer season.

8 hours ago, JoshC. said:

As for Belgium, the story is a bit more interesting. The current date set Belgian government was June 8th, which is set for review this week. The current plan however is that this date could be pushed back until July 1st or August 1st, to which all the big Belgian parks have reacted...in an upset manner... https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/14563/Belgie-wil-pretparken-tot-1-augustus-gesloten-houden-attractieparken-reageren-woest.html

With Belgian people able to cross borders to Netherlands and Germany soon (if not, already), they're particularly worried that when they do reopen, they'll have lost the reopening boost that would come, along with the fact they miss half of the summer season.

And the update is as follows:

-Theme parks are allowed to reopen from July 1st

-Fairgrounds, etc are allowed to reopen from August 1st

-Belgian borders open June 15th, leaving just over 2 weeks where Belgians are free to go to other theme parks.

I have a question for the UK parks and what we know so far. 

For the social distancing on rides, if I go with one other person from my household, will I be made to sit away from them on a ride, despite going to the park with them? 

Yep, the general rule is that parks are encouraging social distancing between different groups of people. So within in your group (ie - household), you can stand as close as you like to each, sit together on rides, etc.

Anyone outside your group, you have to maintain the 1.5m / 6ft / 2m (depending on country) distance and you should be sat away from them on any rides.

Many reports I've seen, however, have suggested that enforcing this is particularly difficult / staff just aren't bothering with it, particularly in queues and pathways

Interesting way of extra security checks around testing for the hospitality and leisure industry so thought its worthy of a share here, as an alternative to social distancing. Could work quite well in a theme park setting however I have 0 faith in the government to implement correctly.. 

app.jpg

More corona-updates.

Energylandia

Energylandia opened on Saturday, which was the earliest date Polish parks could open. They are running the park at a reduced capacity (allowing 1 guest 30 square meters of space in terms of pathways) and doing temperature checks on arrival to everyone. Unlike most places, they're not putting social distancing measures on rides, but are strictly enforcing that you wear masks on rides.

They also have a cleaning brigade out, some of who look like they're actually cosplaying Ghostbusters...

102774211_2591875540914522_4975343741540

The park were originally making people book online, but they have now dropped this:

This is because at this time of year, about 20% of visitors are foreign tourists and 60% are school groups, all of which currently aren't visiting. As such, the park aren't too worried about hitting their new temporary capacity, so don't see a need to enforce that. This post also explains their strategy for increasing the park capacity too.

Belgium

Belgian parks have reluctantly accepted the government's decision to allow parks to reopen from July 1st and are pushing that date. Borders are still set to reopen on the 15th and Dutch parks like Efteling are pushing for Belgian visitors.

Efteling

Speaking of Efteling, they have made the decision to not run of the three "tours" on Symbolica. For those who don't know, there's three different routes in Symbolica - you choose which one to go on by going in a different part of the station before bordering. During the ride, the ride cars get very close to each other. As such, they have stopped running the 'Knights Tour' to ensure social distancing between groups remains. Source - https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/14583/Coronacrisis-Efteling-kan-een-van-de-drie-Symbolica-tours-niet-aanbieden.html

Efteling have also had to revoke some people's Annual Passes after they forged online reserved tickets to get into the park. Two people were also fined by the police for this, due to it being classed as entering private property illegally.

Blackpool

Blackpool have stated their intention to reopen on July 4th:

Reopening and safety update for Disneyland Paris, translated from French here (from ED92’s Facebook page):

The newspaper Le Parisien 77-Seine et Marne today reveals some of the health recommendations planned by the management of Disneyland Paris for its reopening. The newspaper says they are not yet final and can still evolve.

➡ mask from 9 or 11 years old;
➡ Reduced capacity of shows;
➡ visual checks of harness and seat belts;
➡ Empty seats between different families in the attractions or one vehicle per family whenever possible;
➡ cancellation of outdoor shows;
➡ No direct contact with characters;
➡ appearance of characters on high points;
➡ Setting up selfie points with decorations or inlays (mounts);
➡ 2450 points gel gel;
➡ closure of the toilets in turn during the day for cleaning;
➡ 18 to 24 control lines on the esplanade thanks to the addition of two new tents;
➡ 1 out of 2 window open;
➡ No ticket sales on site;
➡ Presence of barriers to separate flows;
➡ Many services not available in hotels (valet, kid s' corner, video games room, pool and water activity, fitness, pool, baby soccer, pony); golf, tennis and table tennis allowed.
➡ masks for Cast Members and visors for those closest to visitors;
➡ Reinforced cleaning on the whole destination.

Given the popularity of the parades, shows and illuminations show at park closing, unsure how popular the park will be as a result.

To be fair no show is better than whatever they replaced Disney Dreams with (yes I am still annoyed).

They've also cancelled the Parkrun event in September. But I'd wager people will visit anyway because desperation of things to do (not that we can go anywhere abroad anytime soon).

https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=83&artikel=7500295

Swedish parks are still not exempt from the "no crowds larger than 50" rule, meaning parks still don't have a date for reopening. Zoos are exempt from this rule and can still open - in particular, Kolmarden, including Wildfire, have been able to remain open because of this rule. 

EDIT: Skara Sommarland have said they will be closed all year. https://www.sommarland.se/information

Drayton Manor's phased opening approach is as follows...

So, from 4th July-17th July, the following will be available:

• Thomas Land
  • Carousel
  • Jolly Buccaneer
  • Accelerator
  • Flying Dutchman
  • Zoo

From 18th July, the following will be available:

• Thomas Land
  • Carousel
  • Jolly Buccaneer
  • Accelerator
  • Flying Dutchman
  • Zoo
  • The Bounty
  • Maelstrom
  • Air Race
  • Shockwave
  • Polperro Express
  • Buffalo Coaster
  • Pandemonium
  • Apocalypse
  • Drunken Barrels
  • Sheriff’s Showdown

The following are closed until further notice due to COVID restrictions:

• Dodgems
  • The Haunting
  • Emily’s Adventure Play
  • 4D Cinema
  • Bryan’s Museum
  • Thomas Exhibition
  • Spencer’s Outdoor Adventure Play
  • Stormforce 10
  • Terrence’s Driving School
  • Tiny Tots Play in the Zoo Farm
  • Reptile House
  • Zoo Experiences
  • Meerkat House

https://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/tickets-and-prices/rides-20201

The park is also making masks mandatory everywhere I believe.

Disneyland in California has suspended its re-opening indefinitely. I would be very very surprised if Walt Disney World doesn't do the same as cases in the state are sky-rocketing. In saying that, the Governor of Florida is a madman so maybe it will reopen anyway.

6 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Disneyland in California has suspended its re-opening indefinitely. I would be very very surprised if Walt Disney World doesn't do the same as cases in the state are sky-rocketing. In saying that, the Governor of Florida is a madman so maybe it will reopen anyway.

I think Disney are invested in Florida, they have a contract with the NBA to fulfill and the resort openings seem to be practicing social distancing.

Not that I agree with this as everyone from Nebraska to Miami will be bringing the virus down with them for their family vacation.