The World Cup...of Fright Nights

JoshC.

And that Set is finished. Winners and advancing to the Quarter Finals:

Studio 13

Blair Witch (2018-present) / The Freezer - TIE

The Curse

Cabin in the Woods

THERE'S A TIE. Silly me didn't think of what on earth to do if there's a tie. So making this up on the fly: the first person who didn't vote in that set to cast a vote between Blair Witch and The Freezer gets the deciding vote. If no one has voted by Sunday at 8am, it opens up to people who already voted in the last set. 

---

Next set of 4 in Round 2 is:

31. Big Top (2016-2017) vs 18. The Walking Dead: Living Nightmare

26. Freakshow 3D vs 10. Experiment 10

3. Creek Freak Massacre vs 19. The Asylum

6. Se7en vs 22. Saw Alive

And I'll cast my votes now:

Big Top

Experiment 10

Creek Freak Massacre

Se7en

Voting will finish Monday 27th April at 8am (Monday morning)

50 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

HERE'S A TIE. Silly me didn't think of what on earth to do if there's a tie. So making this up on the fly: the first person who didn't vote in that set to cast a vote between Blair Witch and The Freezer gets the deciding vote. If no one has voted by Sunday at 8am, it opens up to people who already voted in the last set. 

I vote for The Freezer.

Big Top (2016-2017)

Experiment 10

The Asylum

Se7en

And an unsurprising set of winners:

Big Top (2016-2017)

Experiment 10

The Asylum

Se7en

And here's how the bracket looks...

image.png

So onto the quarter finals we go, which will hopefully be a bit more interesting:

16. Studio 13 vs 24. The Freezer

4. The Curse vs 5. Cabin in the Woods

31. Big Top (2016-2017) vs 10. Experiment 10

19. The Asylum vs 6. Se7en

Voting is open until Wednesday 29th April, 8pm (Wednesday Evening)!

As for my votes:

Studio 13

Cabin in the Woods

Big Top (2016-2017)

Se7en

Freezer (no contest. Studio 13 was poor in comparison and that stupid photo OP before going into the strobe maze was a buzzkill. Nowhere near as intense or full on chaotic as Freezer/asylum)

Curse (very jump scare heavy and I only ever had ONE good go through Cabin. Dare I say, Cabin is the most overhyped maze in the events history)

Big Top (I loved E10 as a one and done experience but the gimmicks get old very quick. Big Top wasnt the most intense maze in the world but it was a heck of a lot of fun. If freezer is the events scariest maze ever then Big Top is certainly the most fun)

Asylum (I loved Se7en to death, but come on. This is the Asylum we are talking about!!)

On 4/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, jessica2 said:

The Asylum (although Se7en would be by second favourite out of these 8 so its a shame it was up against Thorpe's best ever maze!)

Se7en in my honest opinion will always be the most underrated and underappreciated maze to ever exist at Thorpe. It really was brilliantly disgusting and disturbing!! 

11 hours ago, Martin Doyle said:

Se7en in my honest opinion will always be the most underrated and underappreciated maze to ever exist at Thorpe. It really was brilliantly disgusting and disturbing!! 

Definitely! I personally preferred it to the other mazes they had after it in the arena (MBV, studio 13, experiment 10), it was a solid attraction and I remember lots of great actor interaction thats stuck with me lol (including a crazy screaming guy with a barbie doll...). RIP Se7en!

3 hours ago, JoshC. said:

All this love for Se7en, and yet people are voting for flashy chain-mesh walkthrough. Blasphemous in my opinion... ;) 

Haha it doesn't change the fact that asylum is still my fave maze of all time lol, I loved how chaotic it felt.

Its nice to have a bit of variety for sure when it comes to mazes, and they both had their own appeal!

And quarter-final winners...

The Freezer

The Curse

Big Top (2016-2017) / Experiment 10 - TIE

The Asylum

THERE'S A TIE. The first person who didn't vote in the quarter-final to cast a vote between Big Top and Experiment 10 gets the deciding vote. If no one has voted by 6pm tonight, it opens up to people who already voted.

Once that's cleared up the semi-finals will start...

Well then I will fly right ahead with my Semi vote!!

The Freezer defeats The Curse - Freezer to this day is still the most intense maze Thorpe has ever had and it also has the sentimental value of being my first horror maze. The atmosphere surrounding that maze with its entrance and soundtrack made for an intimidating maze before even stepping foot inside it and from the minute you got in to the minute you left, you never got a seconds peace. If Thorpe was to bring ONE maze from the past back to the event, it should be this all day long.

The Asylum defeats The Big Top - Big Top was a great FUN maze with one hell of a soundtrack and good mix of sets. However, these are SCARE mazes. The object of these mazes is to SCARE the customers. In terms of scares then this one is a no brainer. Asylum was more frantic than Big Top, more jumpy than Big Top, more Disorientating than Big Top, more intense than Big Top and was all around just scarier in every way. Big Top is still a terrific maze and my lord did Thorpe mess up not bringing it back, but no way on this Earth does it defeat Asylum.