2023 - World of Jumanji

Chessington have announced plans to build a new land themed around the Amazon Rainforest. The land will feature a launch rollercoaster as well as two children’s rides!

Online consultation has started regarding the land with the new rollercoaster being described:

Guests will be propelled on a car through banks and turns before coming to a dead end on the track adjacent to a themed structure on the southern part of the site. The car will then be propelled along the same route back to the station located on the north east part of the site. A hard standing ride maintenance area is to be provided adjacent to the ride station.

The exact details of the proposed children’s rides are to be confirmed but they will comprise two low-level rides similar in character to Seastorm and Jungle Bus currently at the Resort.

https://attractioncentral.co.uk/2021/05/17/new-rollercoaster-to-open-at-chessington-world-of-adventures/

And the proposal itself: https://www.cwoa-consultation.com/proposals

It is not clear when the area will open, but construction is due to start in January 2022, making 2023 the most likely opening year.

A boomerang style launch coaster is interesting, particularly because it won't be able to manage a particularly high throughput

However, curiously, Chessington Buzz (who were at the consultation itself today), seem to think the layout shown is not final, the ride will have a 1.4m height restriction, and will feature winged seating: https://www.facebook.com/ChessingtonBuzz That very much goes against what is shown on the online proposal, but we'll have to wait and see what extra details they may have been verbally told to give them that impression...

I really hope the coaster is different to what's shown on the plans there. A boomerang style coaster is not a high throughput coaster that the park desperately needs. Also a weird decision if they go for a 1.4m coaster considering Chessingtons target market. 

1 hour ago, Coaster said:

Early days I know but this doesn't look very inspiring.  Chessington need a high capacity family-thrill coaster IMO, not a boomerang style ride.

Go along to the meetings and get the coaster blocked on the grounds of it looks boring. Or even better apply for the open job at MMM:

https://merlin.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/8575?c=merlin

I wonder what the IP will be selected as?

Also new for this year CWOA are offering free tickets to the locals, must want them to agree with the plans.

1. A new rollercoaster – guests will be propelled on a car through banks and turns before coming to a dead end on the track adjacent to a themed structure on the southern part of the site. The car will then be propelled along the same route back to the station located on the north east part of the site. A hard standing ride maintenance area is to be provided adjacent to the ride station.

I’m honestly glad the park is developing a new area and coaster, but I’m not gonna lie it would be concerning and even disappointing if the selected model was just a junior boomerang. 

Chessington seriously need a people mover (not Disney) in terms of throughput. Once upon a time, several rides could reach or surpass 1000 PPH whereas nowadays they are lucky to reach 500. And that’s before half of that is given to fastrack and RAP pass.

24 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

I’m honestly glad the park is developing a new area and coaster, but I’m not gonna lie it would be concerning and even disappointing if the selected model was just a junior boomerang. 

Chessington seriously need a people mover (not Disney) in terms of throughput. Once upon a time, several rides could reach or surpass 1000 PPH whereas nowadays they are lucky to reach 500. And that’s before half of that is given to fastrack and RAP pass.

Who know's what Merlin may or may not have up there sleeve's, but I'm sure we can expect a UK or World's first in some gimmick or another. 

Capacity doesn't really bother as I wouldn't go on a peak day, however I don't think Merlin are stupid. This looks from the planning, to be a BIG and COSTLY investment, so I'm sure all elements will be taken into consideration and perhaps even some new technology built.

I look forward to following the project and look another Wickerman style structure by the looks of things.

32 minutes ago, Glitch said:

I don't think Merlin are stupid. This looks from the planning, to be a BIG and COSTLY investment, so I'm sure all elements will be taken into consideration and perhaps even some new technology built.

Where have I heard these things before? Let me ask my buddy, Derren:

image.png

"I don't know Josh, I just don't know..."

That station picture just screams B&M wing-rider to me. I just don't see a Vekoma junior boomerang and it being a 1.4 metre height restriction being added here, it doesn't exactly scream massive investment. Potentially a new type of Vekoma/Intamin wing rider train maybe? One of the images seems to show an inversion over the land entrance plaza as well, and we know what ride does that extremely well..

666113911_Screenshot2021-05-18at06_18_34.thumb.png.bcc7c786d19be300243c143eb8068eba.png

😉

(I'm choosing to ignore their description of what the rollercoaster does at this time, a B&M at Chessington would be my childhood dreams coming true)

Here's a post from Jared on CoasterForce (who also runs Chessington Buzz), which clarifies some points raised at the in-person consultation:

The planned new roller coaster is part of a series of investments into the park over the next few years, with other attractions likely to open before/after etc. The new ride is planned as a 1.4m height restriction ride and the park we very tight-lipped when I asked about manufacturer and launches/lifts/switch tracks etc. The ride will be a form of shuttle coaster featuring winged trains, as outlined by both the over-view and the station concept artwork. How the shuttle concept would work in terms of station/trains etc is unknown as again, it's not something they were forthcoming about.

The plans shown were rough outlines of the final layout and proposals, which are due to be released in July alongside the full planning application. The images shown were placeholders. The park is currently finalising the layout of the ride as well as what the other two attractions in the area will be. These will again feature in the full application in July.

The consultation is all about addressing any concerns from the local residents before the formal application process takes place. From what I gathered from the locals in the room, they seemed fairly content. The park believes there will be no adversely loud noise produced from the ride, stating that newer rides are quieter due to newer parts and better engineering than some of those older counterparts in the park. It was also stated that there will be very little visibility of the ride outside of the park, with extra planting going in place to cover those areas where the ride penetrates the surrounding tree heights.

All in all, it all sounded very exciting. A lot of the questions from locals were directed at noise levels, transport concerns etc. A noise survey is currently being conducted and will be included as part of the application.

From what I've heard from a few sources in the park it is highly likely that this ride is being constructed by B&M, but that is of course unconfirmed until we get the full plans. I'll be keeping an eye out for them!

The consultation team probably hated having enthusiasts in the room trying to get the first scoop of ride manufacturer etc when the goal is to get local residents onside. Just like the fixation on will there be an RMC in the London Resort consultations.

I think we also have to remember that the teams at MMM and Chessington arn't stupid, I would expect something new and something they can market. If Croc drop is anything to go by on a flat ride, I'm sure that they have something cool in their back pocket.

Lets just wait for July before criticizing that they are building a ride with 0 capacity.  

3 hours ago, Glitch said:

If Croc drop is anything to go by on a flat ride, I'm sure that they have something cool in their back pocket.

I'm sure they can think of many other animal species for beige rockwork animal heads plonked around the park. Tiger, croc, cobra, errr lion, oh they did that at the safari hotel already.

Personally I think it’s exactly what Chessington needs (based on TPWW’s video and assuming the coaster does actually contain the inversion). It doesn’t look too extreme so it might be a nice step up for those younger ones wanting to get on their first true thrill coaster. However it will also satisfy the older guests as again it will be a thrill coaster, not quite on the scale of something at Thorpe but probably the most thrilling coaster at the park.

I will say I haven’t gone to Chessington for years, not because the park is bad but because I generally prefer the more thrill based parks. However this will give me an excuse to visit more frequently.

I don't think the planning consultation would bother to show an inversion if there wasn't going to be one. Typically consultation documents are based off designs a couple of months old. They also need to reflect the designs to a reasonable extent otherwise the consultation is pointless. 

Assuming the ride will have trains like Wild Eagle (and the swarm for that matter) that gives 28 riders a train. A typical family boomerang from vekoma has 20 riders a train giving a throughput of 750pph. Given that this ride looks a little longer than a family boomerang but a bigger train id say the expected throughput will be pretty similar. Not great but not horrific either. 

To me it seems like a poor choice in design, throughput should have been one of the highest priorities in design for cwoa and yet it seems that has been compromised for whatever vision MMM have gone with. When the planning documents come in it will be easier to judge if it was the right choice or not. 

I can't believe for a second they'd go for a B&M wineries, it just feels all wrong.

I'm sticking my money on a variant of that S&S prototype with the flicking out seats that looked a lot like it could be developed into a winged coaster.

Not much money mind, because it probobly won't actually be anything that exciting.

It just bemuses me that they'd build a big thrill ride after getting rid of Rameses and the only 1.4m is Rattlesnake (which is for H&S reasons).

There's so many family thrill coasters out there now that are 1.2/1.3m that could fulfil the need. Get a Gerst, a Mack, or Vekoma in and that's ticking a lot of boxes in terms of what the park really needs.

Winged Launched Shuttle coaster sounds exactly the sort of thing to come out of a business meeting.

1 hour ago, Benin said:

It just bemuses me that they'd build a big thrill ride after getting rid of Rameses and the only 1.4m is Rattlesnake (which is for H&S reasons).

There's so many family thrill coasters out there now that are 1.2/1.3m that could fulfil the need. Get a Gerst, a Mack, or Vekoma in and that's ticking a lot of boxes in terms of what the park really needs.

Winged Launched Shuttle coaster sounds exactly the sort of thing to come out of a business meeting.

Was this an apprentice task ....

• JoshC. changed the title to 2023 - World of Jumanji
  • Mattgwise pinned this topic