2021 Season

Visited on thursday for a last minute trip, was really impressed honestly, everything on two trains, saw was closed at the start of the day but opened around 12, seems to be iffy with being open and closed this season, Did everything multiple times and then left around 2pm as I actually got bored! Overall probably best time ive had at thorpe in the past 10 years ive been going

I also had a great time the other day, just highlights how when the weather is great and the park is dead that a fantastic time can be had. There was a few issues on my visits, the amount of shutdowns was the most I've seen at a park and we even ended up being evacuated from Colossus. But on the whole, park was in a better place then I anticipated. Can't go wrong with two trains on all the rollercoasters. Samurai was on such a bizarre setting, it was slow as anything but really intense. 

Queues obviously look worse thanks to social distancing (if guests do so properly, which tbf seemed to be the case when I went on Saw last week) and reduced throughputs.

Saw in particular is a struggle since it's 1 group per row (or even 1 per car if they're a group of 5 or 6). Under normal conditions, that queue would probably not even be reaching the high cattlepen with all extensions open, and would move quicker. 

I noticed Paultons also are feeling this even worse, with their small queues. Pterosaur, Velociraptor and Cobra all had queues well outside their entrances for large parts of the day during my visit in the Easter week.

• 2 weeks later...

Even back in 2019 Thorpe were running 2 trains on the coaster most of the time - I think there's been a definite shift in philosophy there. It doesn't always mean the rides run better though (Colossus and Inferno sometimes have less hosts and so struggle, for example).

Saw usually runs less cars on off peak days, but that's rarely noticeable. 

Currently Rush is running one swing, but I think (/ hope) that's more a short term problem and not standard for off peak days this year.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:36 AM, ThorpeAddict said:

Thinking of going midweek, is everything running 2 trains on off peak days like last year or is everything on 1 train? 

I did a Weds the other week and the coasters were on 2 trains.  Got loads of rides in - the only real queue was for Saw.  We managed to get front row on Stealth, Swarm and Colossus which was a bonus plus rush was running both swings

Visited Thorpe twice this season. It's still very much possible to have a fun day at Thorpe (provided you visit on a quiet, off peak day) but wow some areas are just sad at the moment. Visiting Chessington and then this place one after the other is such a stark contrast, one looks better than it ever has in the fairly short time I've been going, whereas Thorpe is almost exactly the same as it was last season. The only real changes I noticed were the interesting Tidal Wave changes, which I'm honestly not sure if they're good or bad, and on the second visit some leaves had been cleared from a fence at Colossus.

It is worth noting that on the second visit, lots of effects were fixed. Off the top of my head, the water effect on the heartline roll on Saw was working (I've only ever seen that work once or twice if ever), Inferno had it's mist back, Swarm's plane, fire engine and helicopter had mist (no water or fire though 🙁), and the water tower at Tidal Wave. Nemesis Inferno has been brilliant every time I've ridden it this year, I honestly think it's just as good as Nemesis now, although that may be recency bias as I've not ridden Nemesis in a while. It also has it's old soundtrack back, with the new one playing in the station, which is good. Audio all around the park was very loud, sometimes too loud. It's basically impossible to have a conversation around Colossus, Saw and Stealth. Old Town is in a really sad state, with Slammer more visible than last season, the rotting corpse of Loggers behind a fence, and with quite a bit of Creek Freak theming still up. The tents over the picnic benches have 'Creek Woods Sawmill' on, and there's wanted posters everywhere. I saw from Samurai that there's still some bears up around Loggers, except one has fallen over, which is sad and kind of a metaphor for the whole area. Black Mirror Labrynth has a cool sign but the building isn't pretty.

Overall, I still think Thorpe can be quite fun on quiet days, but, and I know I'm stating the obvious here, the park is crying out for some TLC and most importantly something new.

We have two sets of TV ads released today. There is the one featuring Black Mirror, and a more generic Thorpe Park one:

Happy to see the return of the 'Island Like No Island' tagline. I'd love to see the park continue to lean into that a bit more (as long as it doesn't result in another total rebrand). 

It's kind of sad, and telling, though that this entire advert is basically a rehash of the 2014 advert's visuals, and the style isn't far different either...

5 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

Honestly it’s nice to see more live entertainment like the European parks have.

Thorpe copied October fest

this just seems a rehash of the mardi gras idea at Towers.

Thorpe seem to be unable to come up woth Unique ideas at the moment

• JoshC. changed the title to 2021 Season
  • JoshC. pinned this topic
  • JoshC. unpinned this topic