Is Alton Still Going To Be No.1 In 5 Years Time?

richy2001

Alton Towers will always be number 1 for the reasons below.- Its Huge.- Its got a wide variety of rides.- its a family Park- Its Asthetically Pleasing.- Its got the towers and the gardens.- Its seen the better days of Tussauds, thus Nemesis, Hex, Oblivion etc.- Its got two hotels and a swim complex- Its remote, so for most its a weekend break rather than a day trip which in its self is more memorable and fun.- And its famous, world renouned. It slips of the tounge aswell.Many more reasons I'm sure. I think it will be very unlikly that Thorpe will ever be number 1 because its focusing on a Niche Market - Ie, Stealth isnt for everyone. and its very under developed and only has certain points of asthetically pleasing areas. It could happen, but I doubt it.And being a number one is an opinion, but if the majority of opinions are that it is number 1 then it will be the UK's number one theme park. I think the term 'UK's' is seen as the population ok the UK - its their number one as opposed to the country's best theme park. I guess it works both ways if you know what I mean.

Alton will be my number one, definately.I look for variation in theme parks; parks that are innovative and fresh, yet also have to have a feel as though it's been there forever.And this is how Alton feels to me. Yes there are areas that need to be looked at (Merrie England and X Sector), but if you ask me, the park on a whole is alot more magical than our southern parks (although I think it may tie with Chessington!).A theme park is a place where everyone can relax, where everyone is supposed to forget about not only ther everyday lives, but other things such as frictions between others, and essentailly it should bring a family, or a group of friends closer together.This to me is what Alton is: a place where everyone can have their piece of escapism (something I think Thorpe is missing out on tbh)- the place is oozing with magic from every crevice possible, and sure, sometimes that's not embraced as much as it should be, but still, the place means alot to me, and as a result, it's my number 1 theme park in the UK, and will continue to be so until the place becoms more like Thorpe park ( ;) )

I guess it all depends on alot of things, the first one being what merlin actually want from the parks, with the infilling thorpe has enormous potential to become a huge theme park and what with lax planning laws around the area it certainly wouldn't be hard for thorpe to be the park on everyone's mind.. on the other hand they may well want to keep things how it is and keep alton top of the pile with tp/cwoa underneath.

The infilling may create a huge theme park but it doesn't stop the fact you can see everything from most places in the park. Alton works because you can't just spin on the spot and see everything it has to offer right away. I'd love to have never been to the park and be discovering rides in every corner that I never knew about. What I think is a huge bonus and credit to the park is the fact that if you start in Forbidden Valley with Air, Nemesis and Ripsaw you may not see them for the rest of the day because of the amount of attractions in place and the size. It works well for it as I tire of being able to see everything on offer from the word go.My route round Alton is as follows *coughs*Air -> Nemesis -> Duel -> Runaway Mine Train -> Congo River Rapids -> Log Flume Unplugged -> Spinball Whizzer -> Oblivion -> Hex -> Rita: Queen of Speed -> CorkscrewWinning formula for getting the most out of the day :P

• 4 weeks later...

I think alton will always be number 1 for the simple fact of that it caters for every one.... family rides, thrill seekers and little kids!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..but so does thorpe park Thorpe Park..Little kids: Octupus Gardens, Carousel, Fungle Safari, Mr.Monkeys, the Beach and moreFamily Rides: Loggers Leap, Rumba Rapids, Depth Charge, the Fish and moreThrill Seekers: Stealth, Colossus, Nemesis Inf, Samurai, Slammer, Rush and MORE.?Thorpe Park isnt just some kind of super thrill park made specially for ONLY thrill seekers, it also caters for everyone. Does that make Thorpe no.1 too?

Young PeopleAlton- Doodle doo derby, River bank eye spy, Squirrel Nutty, Ug Bugs, Drivers School, Bish Bash, Tractor Ride. Total=7Thorpe- Octopus Garden, Rocky express, Banana Ride & Fungle Safari. Total= 4 (Octopus Garden equals one attraction as they are essentially large pay per ride that you don't pay for :huh:)Family RidesAlton- Log Flume Unplugged, Congo River Rapids, Runaway Mine Train, Duel, Blade, Corkscrew, Ug Swinger, Hex, Teacups, Charlie ride, Spinball Whizzer. Total=11Thorpe- Loggers Leap, Flying Fish, Depth Charge, Teacups, Rumba Rapids, Pirates 4D. Total= 6Thrill ridesAlton= Nemesis, Air, Ripsaw, Rita: Queen of Speed, Submission,Enterprise, Oblivion. Total=7Thorpe= Colossus, Stealth, Nemesis Inferno, Samurai, Slammer, Rush, Vortex, Zodiac, Tidal Wave, Detonator, X:\ No Way Out. Total= 11And that concludes the lesson. Whilst thorpe does cater slightly there isn't a good balance of family attractions. Alton has far more for everyone and doesn't rely on rubbish such as Fungle Safari.

Thorpe - The Beach, Wet Wet Wet, Rocky Express, Fungle Safari, Mr.Monkeys, Octupus Garden (which I would count as 7 or however much attractions are in it as themselves not just an area), CCR, Carousel, Sea Snakes & Ladders ( :huh:)Total - 9 (15)

Ah Carousel and CCR. Well if we're counting the beach then. Alton has the Gardens, the dungheap, the Gloomy walk thing, Skyride, monorail, Golf, 2 hotels, Cariba Creek, ug Swinger.AAAAAAANNNNNDDDD STRIKE! :(

This is a kinda stupid question, no one can answer this apart from Merlin..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a stupid question really, but not for that reason. The No. 1 is simply a matter of opinion, facts might point to one park or the other, but ultimately your Number 1 is down to which you prefer. Merlin could spew up all kinds of stats pointing to one or the other, but which one you prefer is totally down to you.