The Future Of Vampire

You completely failed to see what I meant in my post.In a dark ride everything can be built to look realistic/believable. Unless poorly lighted or constructed, you should not be able to see revealing aspects such as the edges of sets or mechanisms that operate the effects.However, if you stick these things outside in full view of everybody, they look fake! Really fake!

But if it takes a sharp eye or a camera to reveal edges of sets, then Abdab wont look as fake. simples *squeak*

Just look at this guy! He is fake!Posted ImageFake!Fake!Are you really saying that this hard plastic-faced dummy looks like a real person? And that placing him motionless on some dirt by the side of the Vampire queueline is good quality theming? No, it's fake!However, if you see him in the distance in dimmed light, in an enclosed, well themed environment as he moves fluidly and appears to speak to you then it is far more believable. In short, this animatronic was not designed to go outside and therefore looks poor.Stare into his eyes! Stare at the Abdab! See the fakeness within!

Okay maybe the model does look a bit fake, so what? In my opinion I'm actually pleased Chessington bothered to make an effort to try and theme the queue. Poor it might be, who knows? However, they put time into doing it and obviously care enough about the ride to try and theme, although whats the point when they are slated for putting out 'fake' animatronics. If it was outside, moving, without any restraints it would be more likely to be vandalised anyway.

You say that "they made the effort", but that is a key part of a theme park anyway, to have good theming. It is like saying "Well at least the band made the effort to play music, even if it was poor". If you know what I mean. What's more, this looks to me as if this was just a little "idea" that somebody who works at the park came up with and decided to carry out (be that be a ride op or head of experience, it doesn't matter).As it clearly isn't meant to be a long term theming addition (will probably wear in the weather and last only one more year probably) nor is it a big budget improvement of the queueline experience. It seems to have just been a little idea, which, whilst nice to see Abdab again, does not really do much for Chessington's theming reputation.

If it was outside, moving, without any restraints it would be more likely to be vandalised anyway.

It's getting vandalised anyway now, so there would be no difference. Also, to a look at Frazzle the dragon currently outside Dragon's Fury. He has been at the park for more than 20 years now, and because he is set up correctly he doesn't seem to ever get any vandalism. Just pointing that out, because it proves that outdoor animatronics can work and look decent. However, I still think Abdab would be far too tricky to animate again, so they should just put him back in storage next year. Sorry!

The number of times you have shown that photos across different forumsPosted Image

Good point! I seem to have a thing for photos of Abdab now and then.Posted Image

Can't expect much when your budget isn't exactly high...Much rather him there rather than... Nothing quite frankly...

Yes, good point. Although I would like to think Chessington gets a fairly big budget for theming and effects, it deserves it. Merlin is a pretty big company as well, surely they could pump a bit more in than they do? I think Chessington is best when every detail is cared for. Oh well, at least the place is miles better now than it had been.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, good point. Although I would like to think Chessington gets a fairly big budget for theming and effects, it deserves it. Merlin is a pretty big company as well, surely they could pump a bit more in than they do? I think Chessington is best when every detail is cared for. Oh well, at least the place is miles better now than it had been.

I don't think it does and whilst Merlin is a big company its the European side that are getting the good stuff this year. They still seem stuck on what to actually do with Chessington tbh.

I don't think it does and whilst Merlin is a big company its the European side that are getting the good stuff this year. They still seem stuck on what to actually do with Chessington tbh.

I could tell them a few things they could do with their money ready for Chessie...For those who want to guess, it's two words, starting with "SPEND" and ending it "IT"...If they want ideas of what to spend it on they should also come to me... I'm free of charge for spending the love for Chessie...

I remember being told in 07 that it'd be gone by 09. What happened to that?!Oh yeah, sorry.. person who spoke to me spoke bollocks :rolleyes:

Ha! Yeah, I can't see this thing going anywhere for a while. They had Vekoma in last year to upgrade some stuff so hopefully management has a long term plan for the vampire :rolleyes:Dave