Th13teen

Sheepie

• 11 months later...

There are some moments of good airtime on the ride - the first main drop through to the dark section is great. After that I think the ride could end and I'd be just as happy - the dark section doesn't really do anything for me. If it was a taller first drop with a longer track twisting and turning through the forest, it would be a much better attraction I think. 

I'd say there's pretty much none. The coaster itself is dire, like a slightly oversized kiddie coaster with nothing even remotely interesting happening. It was better when I rode it before it was trimmed to hell, but still crap. The drop and backwards section are fun though.

It has airtime though, back row on the first drop is full of it...

It does amuse me that Thirteen's flaws were done well by Zierer, but then the Zierer drop is really bad... A combination of the two would be perfect...

Still gets the guests enjoying themselves, which is more important than anything else...

2 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

If you need to ride a ride in a certain way or a certain seat for it to be good, then it's not a good ride. ;)

alright so taron must be bad because it's only forceful and intense later in the evening at at the back; boulder dash must be bad also because unless you're nearer the front the force isnt as intense and actually leaves you feeling quite nauseous, wodan is a meh because the bar system removes the feeling of freedom you so desperately need on a ride. I agree, good rides shouldn't have to have ways of riding them, but adding these things doesn't stop that from happening. Riding boulder dash and wodan nearer the front sitting up in your seat a little helps a lot, and like I say, riding taron nearer the back gives a totally different experience to the front, and these I would argue are my top 3 favourite rides. Never said it was good, just not dull. Its fun which is more then I can argue for, for the majority of british rides

I think Thirteen is a good ride. It's fun, it's amusing and exciting too. 

I love the first coaster section. Yes, it's not the longest and most adventurous but it's fun, enjoyable and sets the pace for the ride's secret party trick, the trick track. This part is always fun snd smudging to witness, from the drop and backwards section to the moment the ride suddenly resurfaces. Heck people's reactions riding is half the fun.

I don't think I've found a dull seat either. I'm gonna lose the popular vote here snd say the ride is probably my second favourite Towers coaster.

The bouncy drop track and tunnel trick is the best fun in the land. The coaster is a bit random and weird. The theme is really thinly spread too which looks pretty embarassing 7 years on, but is a lovely concept. Wouldn't it be great to blow up Rita and put the coaster in a proper place with more space to play with, keeping the trick ending?

1 hour ago, Noah Coaster said:

It's a pretty dull Coaster until the dark section. That's really the whole draw to the ride. It's worth a try though if it's on a -30 minuet queue. 

That's the whole point. It's supposed to have a very dull and misleading opening, so some riders probably won't be prepared for the surprise dark section. In fact, they'd even be thinking it's the end of the ride right before it all kicks off. :P

Another reason of course is the strict building restrictions.

I love Th13teen and would agree about sitting at the back as you do get a nice bit of airtime.  I actually like the layout and the twists of the track and I also like how most of the ride is hidden so you can't see much at all while queuing for it.  One of the best parts (apart from the drop) is people's reactions - they think that it is the end of the ride, have a little moan then bam! Start screaming and come off laughing - it is definitely in my top 4 faves at Towers and although might be a bit gimmicky with the drop, I think it is a good example that you don't HAVE to have loads of inversions to make a good coaster 

2 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

The bouncy drop track and tunnel trick is the best fun in the land. The coaster is a bit random and weird. The theme is really thinly spread too which looks pretty embarassing 7 years on, but is a lovely concept. Wouldn't it be great to blow up Rita and put the coaster in a proper place with more space to play with, keeping the trick ending?

I would love for them to blow up Rita and expand Th13teen as my only slight issue is that it is quite a short ride - also I kinda hate Rita :lol:

If TLC was of a higher budget, Th13teen's building sticks out as something that could do with the work. The front facade looks lovely, but it's just bizarre how it transitions to rubbish scaffolding before becoming a tin shed at the back.

A decent family coaster, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near the park's best. I still think that it would have been a far better choice for VR over Air (imagine speeding through the woods or through the tunnel with wraiths chasing after you).

• 2 months later...

Just back from the Towers and my opinion of Thirteen has changed massively. It was never my favourite coaster, firmly at the bottom of my favorite rides at Alton Towers along with Oblivion (it just doesn't do anything for me, sorry). Decided to give Thirteen a go on SRQ today and it's matured so well.

I was in row 5 and there was bags of airtime. Not quite Shambala but of that same vein. The lapbars seemed far more comfortable too. The outdoors bit was fast, flowing and smooth. Didn't need the kicker wheels at all. The indoor bit was the same as before but slightly lighter before and after the drop.

Operations were tight, 3 train service and no stacking. Proper job.

I just wish they'd keep the drop a proper secret. I was on with a group who had no clue about the drop and they were so amazed and surprised. None of the other vertical drop coasters advertise it heavily or at all.

I love thirteen as a coaster, but last time I didn't go on and I don't know about next time. The thing is that noise at the drop, I think it's an air cannon or something. It's FAR too loud for me and on the first ride it made me jump so much I was shaking for a good hour after. Blocking my ears doesn't help much but even then I can't hold on for the drop.

• 3 weeks later...