Th13teen

Sheepie

Th13teen seems to be suffering from quite a large technical problem(s) lately, it's been down most days since 30th May and some have reported that the Crypt has had the roof off and bits have been seen coming out of it using a crane. The crane is apparently gone now, but since it reopened a few days ago, it closed again a few hours after it opened. Some say that it has opened in the mornings or late in the day, but within an hour or so later, it has been down again... Then there were also reports yesterday that it was closed as well as Rita, so the dark forest was a bit useless. :) Intamin... :D

• 10 months later...

So on my last trip to Alton I noticed something... something perculiar.

People love Thirteen. They really truely do. When you ride with the public everyone is just laughing with joy and its actually rather intoxicating that after a 50 minute queue, people still enjoy it.

Thank god that two years later, after all that horrible hype had gone, people are really into Thirteen. It's great to see and for me makes the ride. ;)

To be honest, I thought even from opening day the majority of people loved the ride. It was only many enthusiasts who didn't.

Although I do agree every train seems to be laughing hysterically by the end! It's great to see and I agree it makes the ride. Going on it in a group with people who are none the wiser is one of the best/funniest moments of any day out ;)

• 3 months later...

It is indeed. The ride actually threatens some airtime on the hill after the first helix, and there's a little more "being thrown about" on the banked corner, too. Still could offer more, but at least it's an improvement.

I think the ride is actually going down really well with guests now. It's no longer got hype, and everyone just enjoys it. Also, queues for it tend to be quite reasonable compared to the likes of Rita, Air etc.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

They really need to fix the shutter on the indoor section so that it closes everytime - it ruins the whole drop sequence when seen in the light because the shutter hasn't closed!

Is this still happening every time or just now and again?

I first noticed it not shutting around April last year, to come back on opening weekend this season to find the shutter still not closing! It really does ruin the effect of the crypt as none of the lighting effects can be seen.

Is this still happening every time or just now and again?

I first noticed it not shutting around April last year, to come back on opening weekend this season to find the shutter still not closing! It really does ruin the effect of the crypt as none of the lighting effects can be seen.

I'm not sure, when I visited last year it was doing it and again this year so probably all the time.

It is appauling, why can't the multi million pound company that is Merlin even be bothered to fix a shutter/sensor?

I'm not sure, when I visited last year it was doing it and again this year so probably all the time.

It is appauling, why can't the multi million pound company that is Merlin even be bothered to fix a shutter/sensor?

Because they are an awful, awful company and we deserve better.

Like Six Flags.

As John Wardley said on the video, the drop mechanism is forever going up and down. So the shutter would be opening and closing the same amount of times, at a similar frequency to the drop.

I'm not sure if this is a roller shutter door, but it doesn't take much for them to go wrong when in constant use daily. They have to undergo daily checks throughout the workplaces that operate them. Roller shutter doors also have a large heavy bar that the door wraps around as it opens. There have been hundreds of accidents over the years where the bar has come out of its holding (it only sits in a small void), fallen down clean off the mechanism and struck the operator or anyone below. These bars are so heavy you can become trapped underneath one and require someone else to move it off you. In some cases it has resulted in the injured person being rushed to hospital. Unfortunately some cases have resulted in a fatality too.

When I went on both times this past week, everything was fine with Th13teen and there wasn't a single problem.

The friends I went with had never been to Alton Towers before, and we a bit confused about the theme of Rita, and think that Th13teen should have been used to re-theme the entire area properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I went on Tuesday, shutter worked perfectly.

Love thirteen, really really fits into towers.

Part of Thirteen's storyline is restoration work, just like on Hex. Most of the coasters at AT, including Nemesis, basically tell different stories relating to the Towers and the park itself, which makes Alton Towers such a legendary theme park!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went on Thirteen today and the shutter didn't close on the drop section which quite strongly detracted the first section of the ride. It's very disappointing that it didn't lose as it sets the scene much greater when it does.

On another note, Thirteen delivered some relatively good airtime on the first half.