Dragon's Fury

One thing I do take issue with is the initial false outrage of fat people moaning about the scales; as far as I can see that hasn't happened, so who is it we are throwing our rage at?

It's the 2015 Internet trend - take an issue with something for a group of people who did not originally complain about it. It's a sad year :(

Poor show from an apparently senior member of the team suggesting people who complain get burnt, joke or no joke, it's not an amusing situation whatsoever...

For once I agree with you, wouldn't expect that from someone who is supposedly in charge.

Personally I'd say lighten up, but sorry if it offended you or others on here - but my post still stands. Yes I'm a member on the team but that doesn't automatically mean all my responses in life need to be politically correct - I'm a human behind the screen who is just saying the things that I'm still saying at meets and in life, so I'd feel hypocritical if I change my attitude when writing. But once again apologies by being a bad person   :diablo:

Peaj's post isn't particularly nice, but for the majority of larger people there's truth in it too.

Yep it's a life choice apart from those rare occasions when a medical condition caused it. True it's not a nice way, I just become blunt sometimes. Holding people by the hand and making sure no one's feelings get hurt in my eyes helps nobody as it just covers up the root/ avoids the problem. Truth hurts - for me I have improved the best in life when I've been told how it is as it motivates me to prove people wrong :)

I am all for light humour, but this is a forum not a comedy and suggesting that people who complain are burnt is just completely unacceptable.

Also, people not fitting on rides is not a laughing matter and they deserve respect, not nasty comments and jibes.

You can tell people on here haven't had to deal with the actual situation of people being too large to ride a certain ride before (either on the ride op side or personally)...

It's not something to really be joked about, because it does affect the person 

Well I myself in the past along with a couple of friends on separate occasions have done the infamous 'Walk of Shame.' Yes it's an embarrassing moment but me and some people I know take great pleasure in taunting/ teasing when in happens to one of us. Just put on a smile and turn the situation around - That's me though and I understand that's not for everyone but forums are based on different opinions after all

It's a traffic light system isn't it? They put the 4 people who want to ride together onto it and it says yes or no.

Does this system actually make a difference to Fury's throughput? If they're stopping every car before dispatch as mentioned, then there are clearly a fair few other reasons that are causing throughputs to go downhill...

Think of it as a pre-ride game ;) but seriously if it is slowing down the throughput I don't see the need for it. Is everyone forced to do it?

If not I think the best method for this is use your rule of maximum adults but if more adults want to ride together then you will be allowed to take the weight test, If you go green you can ride together if you go red then the old rules apply. That way you have the option, go by the rules of the limitations or take a choice and see if you can ride together, If you can't as your go red then you've put that on yourself :)

For more debates on weight outside of Dragon Fury though, Please continue in the Diet & Exercise thread here :D http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/10048-diet-exercise/page-3

The scales are NOT slowing down throughput at all. Instead it massively reduces the amount of times people need to be removed from a car because they are considered over the 4 adult guideline.

As far as I know the scales have never caused anyone to be embarrassed about their weight. Most people seem to find it pretty funny to be honest. It will make no difference if you're heavy or light because if you're a full grown adult with 3 others around the same size, chances are you'll have to split into 2 groups anyway.

The scales simply cover the 'grey area' where you can't tell if a group of 4 are fully grown adults or  all the same weight/size.

Rage has come through for two reasons:

1 - Chessie's strange attempts at operations, making things seemingly overcomplicated when the original max 3 adults rule wasn't exactly a major issue... Then again it's seemingly Chessie's remit to reduce throughputs as much as possible recently...

2 - Certain member's rather rude comments about people with weight issues... Mostly DeanGaryCox really, though Peaj's comment was utterly unrequired in my eyes (and a few others as well)...

Neither of those really count as 'white-knighting' based on the responses I see here, more so people commenting on the potential problems that can result from the situation...

In my view, having the scales just opens the park up to more criticism in a case where it's actually unnecessary, although that might be because the staffing has gone relatively downhill in recent years (I don't ever recall having to get a person out of a car because the operator saw it as 4 adults, maybe we didn't care, maybe we were more observant back then, sure Mark9 could say more on that matter)...

Really, it just sounds like Chessie's H&S team get more ridiculous every couple of months, and usually it is at the expense of operational standards, so why would this be any different?

Benin, listen to what people are saying. It does not effect the throughout at all but rather stops the ride from pausing as much. The scales are only used if there are 4 adults, and being at a theme park designed for families this situation is few and far between. and Dean, don't be proud that people dislike your post. not cool.

Benin, listen to what people are saying. It does not effect the throughout at all but rather stops the ride from pausing as much. The scales are only used if there are 4 adults, and being at a theme park designed for families this situation is few and far between. and Gary don't be proud that people dislike your post. not cool.

Well to start with my name is Dean. Middle name Gary. Last name Cox.

Not just 'Gary', am I allowed to be offended by this?

My post was never going to go down well with everyone, I fully well knew that, I haven't posted it solely to cause controversy or for the banter, but I've put my point of view accross on the situation and how pathetic it is that people easily get offended and rather than trying to fix the problem, point the blame to someone else when something is brought up about it.

It's a forum, yes I've met some great people on here, but have I really come on here to be friends and be a suck up and agree with everyone, that's not how it works when I always seem to have a different opinion to other people, but people like me are usually too scared to speak up and just keep quiet while watching others be a sheep and follow the crowd!

Or decide to speak up and this situation happens, so I just can't help but be amused by it.

My post was never going to go down well with everyone, I fully well knew that, I haven't posted it solely to cause controversy or for the banter, but I've put my point of view accross on the situation and how pathetic it is that people easily get offended and rather than trying to fix the problem, point the blame to someone else when something is brought up about it.

But who has been offended by the scales? You seem to have made that bit up.

It's not about speaking up or being rude, it's about being plain stupid in your thought process.

It's a forum, yes I've met some great people on here, but have I really come on here to be friends and be a suck up and agree with everyone, that's not how it works when I always seem to have a different opinion to other people, but people like me are usually too scared to speak up and just keep quiet while watching others be a sheep and follow the crowd!

Or decide to speak up and this situation happens, so I just can't help but be amused by it.

I like people speaking up. Your post was just insulting. Did we delete it no, it's your view and I respect that but expect views that disagree with it. 

Benin, listen to what people are saying. It does not effect the throughout at all but rather stops the ride from pausing as much. The scales are only used if there are 4 adults, and being at a theme park designed for families this situation is few and far between. and Dean, don't be proud that people dislike your post. not cool.

The scales are unnecessary. Fury's four adult rule is completely unnecessary for the same reason that Black Buccaneers adult on the end of each row rule is completely unnecessary. 

Rage has come through for two reasons:

1 - Chessie's strange attempts at operations, making things seemingly overcomplicated when the original max 3 adults rule wasn't exactly a major issue... Then again it's seemingly Chessie's remit to reduce throughputs as much as possible recently...

2 - Certain member's rather rude comments about people with weight issues... Mostly DeanGaryCox really, though Peaj's comment was utterly unrequired in my eyes (and a few others as well)...

Neither of those really count as 'white-knighting' based on the responses I see here, more so people commenting on the potential problems that can result from the situation...

In my view, having the scales just opens the park up to more criticism in a case where it's actually unnecessary, although that might be because the staffing has gone relatively downhill in recent years (I don't ever recall having to get a person out of a car because the operator saw it as 4 adults, maybe we didn't care, maybe we were more observant back then, sure Mark9 could say more on that matter)...

Really, it just sounds like Chessie's H&S team get more ridiculous every couple of months, and usually it is at the expense of operational standards, so why would this be any different?

Every now and then, I did stop the ride because of the four adult thing. Not because I necessarily agreed with the rule itself but because it is the restriction that Chessington themselves had decided to put to place.

The thing is, the initial two adult restriction rule was initially put in place because of something that happened at Fury in 2006 and as a knee jerk reaction to it, the ride could only take three people per car, two adults maximum. After advice from Maurer Sohne, a weight limit was imposed (I forget what that was in numbers) but it was essentially the weight of two large adults and two children. The reason Spinball doesn't go by this rule was because Alton Towers argued against it and severe testing on Spinball was done to prove that nothing was wrong with putting four adults in a car. For this reason you can ride the Winja twins, Salama, Tarantula, Dizz and Spinball with no problems. Chessington either don't have the finances to do this or seem unwilling to change their ride for the better of their guests. The fact that they now have to let the car stop at the end of the station now suggests to me that throughput and keeping queues down has become completely irrelevant. 

The fact that they now have to let the car stop at the end of the station now suggests to me that throughput and keeping queues down has become completely irrelevant. 

It's not so much a rule that the car has to stop, but it would be flukish if it did because: the ride doesn't run at its highest dispatch speed anymore, the operators and attendants are quite closely supervised and all Merlin staff retrained to prioritise safety over throughput.

Personally I'd say lighten up, but sorry if it offended you or others on here - but my post still stands. Yes I'm a member on the team but that doesn't automatically mean all my responses in life need to be politically correct - I'm a human behind the screen who is just saying the things that I'm still saying at meets and in life, so I'd feel hypocritical if I change my attitude when writing. But once again apologies by being a bad person   :diablo:

Just to be clear, it didn't personally offend me - I'm not skinny, but I'm able to laugh at myself and enjoy a joke about it, whether from me or others.

However, I consider the fact that some people feel differently about things to me, and I found the posts quite unnecessary and rude.

Also, I just think that it looks very unprofessional for someone running the site to post a picture of a fat person and saying "burn people who complain".

Yep it's a life choice apart from those rare occasions when a medical condition caused it. True it's not a nice way, I just become blunt sometimes. Holding people by the hand and making sure no one's feelings get hurt in my eyes helps nobody as it just covers up the root/ avoids the problem. Truth hurts - for me I have improved the best in life when I've been told how it is as it motivates me to prove people wrong  :)

Well I myself in the past along with a couple of friends on separate occasions have done the infamous 'Walk of Shame.' Yes it's an embarrassing moment but me and some people I know take great pleasure in taunting/ teasing when in happens to one of us. Just put on a smile and turn the situation around - That's me though and I understand that's not for everyone but forums are based on different opinions after all

The thing is though, this is an internet forum about theme parks.  People should not have to read through posts that could offend them when people really had no reason to post them in the first place.  In the right context, being told how it is could be good, however on an forum it would be nice if people could show a bit of respect to others.

I also disagree with it being a "life choice" as there are a huge number of factors to be considered but that's not really relevant in this topic.

On the subject of the scales, I really can't see them being an issue.  I didn't even realise what they were at the time, and I don't think the GP did either to be honest.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On Friday, August 03, 2007 at 9:23 AM, Mark9 said:

Yesterday during a block shutdown the "ahhh you survived" played over and over again and I was in hysterics... :P Anyway I love Fury and believe it to be the UK's second best steel rollercoaster. It has a few drawbacks such as the small size of the car meaning slightly poor legroom but I think the ride experience more then makes up for it. Very good ride in the face of simple layouts such as Stealth, Colossus, Rita and Air. :P

Lots of people have been complaining about leg room, it's probably because of the speed and the spin they want to create for maximum thrills

27 minutes ago, Frazzle Dragon said:

Lots of people have been complaining about leg room, it's probably because of the speed and the spin they want to create for maximum thrills

A. That's just Maurer Sohne spinners in general.

B. Dragon's Fury was three years old when this post was made

C. I like your username