Bubbleworks

^So, just because the sponsorship is running out this year doesn't mean they'll be focusing their efforts on it next year... Hence, they may just be doing what I'm guessing, neither of us can 100% say that they'll go one way or the other... It's impossible to tell at this point what they're planning for next year, especially with a lack of any form of planning permission coming in, as I'm sure any form of intensive retheme would cause some change to the building, possibly requiring them to put an application through, the procedure is rather foggy for pre-existing dark rides...But I wouldn't hold my breath for next year for anything other than a minor retheme... If that...

All three Merlin UK parks have seen a major change in the past years with how they are run and how developments are made.Wild Asia is an extremely effecive investment, and very "retro" Chessington. We would have never seen something like that if it was done in the mid 00s. In my opinion, we have gone from crap to fantastic. New theming everywhere this year, which shows detail is now considered important again. Loads of improvments, especially Mystic East and Transylvania. Bubbleworks is crap because it was designed in a crap way. My point is, Chessington's management/art depo/ride makin' peoplez have been completely reorganised and we will probably never see something half-hearted, gimmicky and non-sensical like IL Bubbleworks ever again.

I really hope so electricbill, I really do. Chessington has always had a special place in my heart and its for reasons like the original Bubbleworks which made it so. I hope that once this contract ends, they take a serious look at the Bubbleworks, forget about the amount of money the ride could make and just make a damn good, fantastic dark ride. The original Bubbleworks had class, style, a good sense of humour and was a lot of fun. The current incarnation is just a giant marketing board where everything is sterile, nothing moves, in essence a travesty of a ride.The Bubbleworks idea to be honest has had its day and I think the ride needs a new idea to reinvigorate the ride.

So is Bubbleworks, though. It uses a lot of reused props, yes. However, pretty much all the new effects are rubber ducks, as per the IL marketing brand of the time.Also, Tidal Wave opening without a sponsor. When the sponsor did come along, signs were merely added to the existing theming. That meant all that had to be done when the contract ran out was remove those signs. Entirely different situation, really. It isn't like they took out the old Amity Cove theming and replaced it with giant Original Source bottles like they did with Professor Burp's Bubbleworks.

Yes, that's exactly what I just said.... :)

I think you have misread.You were saying "Look at Tidal Wave, they didn't gut the theming, they just removed the OS signs". I was saying that is a different situation because Tidal Wave was not rethemed around Original Source, it simply had signs added. Therefore it did not need a new retheme, and it was a simply case of removing signs.Bubbleworks, however, is actually themed around Imperial Leather's old brand image. It is more complicated than removing a couple of signs. They actually have to take out a lot of theming and effects, otherwise renew the contract. A third option is that they can't be arsed and will paint over logos but leave the rest how it is. But this is a new era for Chessington, in which things like that don't happen anymore (hopefully).

Good and bad news then. That poster was probably my least favourite of the new posters because of its cringworthy CGI rendition of an Imperial Leather logo-wearing Bubblehead. Glad it has goneAlso, it will be good to see an old piece of Burp's come back. However, I am really quite cheesed off that they decided to graffiti an old poster, that really is how to rub it in.

So the poster has been painted over with gold paint? Seems a bit cheap, considering they could just print another off. I guess if IL are going though, this wouldn't phase them.

It sounds to me as if the old poster was sprayed during early stages of the retheme, to "mark" it to show it was going to be changed or something. The old posters cannot be printed off, I think, because they were drawn cartoons and not CGI'd pap like the new ones. Like you said, I doubt they would print off the new posters in case they do want a big change sooner or later.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageThanks to Callum Kerr for these photos.It's the Pop Pills poster! ;) But, look what they have done. I assume it was the redesigners who did this during the retheme... As if trashing the whole ride with IL logos was not enough, they even went and coloured in Professor Burp's face! ;) But I am glad that this has returned from the grave, it brings back many memories. I remember how it was such a magical attraction; it is shattering to think what it has become. The nostalgia is killing me...

What great pictures, shows they didn't use much glue! Did they colour his face? It seems a bit pointless really, maybe to make it last a little longer. I still wonder why exactly its off, its the most damaged poster, yet the only one that didn't get replaced with the new Imperial Leather logo. Lets just hope this poster doesn't get damaged anymore than it has been, as if I remember, this old poster was also the one most vandalised when it was PBBW.

• 1 month later...
Posted ImageSo, how about this. The windows to the Bubbleworks exterior building used to have lighting in them. They are now covered by print out images of bubbles.This is one of many changes that show just how stupid the people in charge of retheming the ride were. Why it 'had' to be rethemed anyway I don't think anybody knows. It was old, yes, and in need of a refurbishment, yes. However, that does not mean you have to go in and actually change the ride. Professor Burp's Bubbleworks was built to be Professor Burp's Bubbleworks. Before that it was just an empty hill. It was never designed to become a boring soap factory filled with office lights and plastic, inanimate ducks.Why did they do it? You don't see the Haunted Mansion being "rethemed" now, do you? That is 50+ years old. Come to think of it, even that got some unwelcome changes that affected the original purpose of the ride, back in 2006/7. At least those changes were on the whole positive additions. But, sometimes the decisions people choose make lose hope for the future. The worst thing is that all the magic of the true Bubbleworks is stuck in the past now, restrained to archive images, videos and people's memories. The ride's former glory can never be restored.

It probably stopped working long before you started riding, MrMan. And it also would have probably only been turned on at night. A shame, really, that things stop working the way they were designed to work.If you look, there is a little door on the other side of the main tower, visible from the queueline when it goes behind the arches, that probably used to lead to inspection cupboards for the old lighting and speaker systems.I do like the fact that they have fixed the exterior music, this year. That brought back lots of memories of queueing outside!

I agree, the exterior music this year has been such a welcome addition, although sadly, it was turned down during the year and I think being really loud gave maximum effect! The ride is still bursting with memories for me, especially with the reappearance of Professor Burp last year. I wonder what will happen to that poster this year, if it will be replaced with the same design or a completely different poster. I'm also intrigued to see whether Imperial Leather will last another season, as it was meant to end about 2 years ago!! Whichever way, the old Bubbleworks will never re-appear, we still have the memories, and lets face it, children nowadays still like riding the Bubbleworks, and its capturing, possibly even enchanting for them (the finale) in the newer generation, just like it was for us all those years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

This ride is a masterpiece. The ride Is pleasant. The effects are spectacular. The smells are heavenly.The Lord must truly have blessed the good people who work at Chessington. For if he had not, then mere humans could never have created a ride this sensational and beautiful.I honestly believe that people who don't like this ride are on drugs.God bless Bubbleworks. And may this ride live on forever and ever. Amen.

• Mark9 featured and unfeatured this topic