Bubbleworks

But Transylvania does not have a horror theme, it's more... 'quirky European town' with an inevitable spooky castle on the outskirts.

Although an amusing idea, I think an undead professor Burp would be even more offensive to the original ride's legacy than the Imperial Leather retheme! Yes, no way should BubbleWorks lose its magical character in favour of a horror theme.

By all means, it needs a scary moment or two (it always used to - the pressure room had machines blowing up and a huge carnivorous bubble, but it was all done with friendliness). It wouldn't suite the ride's design anyway. Is it possible to feel scared while travelling at 2mph in a boat through a big metal box?

Look back at things over the last few years, Chessington have generally been toning things down at a very slow pace for a more family-orientated approach. Granted, the target audience and the previous "Where families come first" slogan has been drilled into us for longer than that. Although Professor Burp wasn't a scary ride for kids, I see the Imperial Leather version more friendly and enjoyable for children.

You don't understand children then. The new version is sterile and lifeless. The original was funny, memorable, naughty and extremely fun when I was a child. It was my favourite ride at the park, and all of my friends at that age who visited Chessington also loved it, or could at least remember the music. Today it's only liked for the fountain finale.

And the "families come first" ethos has since been dropped. They are no longer trying to be a children's park, thankfully! The audience is much broader, although they will never get the thrill market back.

I know you didn't say children's park, I said it. My point still stands, they are no longer trying to be a young children's park, like Legoland for example. That very tame "Families Come First" ethos (not just the slogan) was dropped soon after it came under new management. They are now trying to be wilder and better rather than water everything down like they did 2001-2007.

Maybe you could elaborate how you "do understand children", like a discussion. Were you a child when you first rode Professor Burp's BubbleWorks?

I see the Imperial Leather version more friendly and enjoyable for children.

Seriously? That version isn't more enjoyable for anyone.

I was a child of Professor Burp, and it was enchanting and fun and exciting. Kids come off it now bored. There was nothing in the old one beyond cartoon stuff, that even the smallest child could possibly have found unnerving. A big glowing ball with teeth but a happy face gently rocking towards you is understood as not a real threat by even the youngest children.

I first rode Bubbleworks when I was around 10/11 - so around 1990/91. I loved it - definitely my favourite ride there at the time (was too scared to go on Vampire back then :ph34r: ). I remember going into the shop afterwards and getting a Professor Burps fizzy pop drink thing (basically a small bottle of fizzy drink but with the Prof on the front). Although I do still ride it when I visit with my niece it just isn't the same anymore. I do still like the music though :D

I like the music as well, but the ducks literally ruin it for me p,us the fair ground loop cuts are shocking.

• 4 weeks later...

In a way, its a shame this ride is now open almost all year round. It means they are unable to do as much maintenance as they used to do (pre 2010). For example, little things like touch ups of paint in the ride, the 'band lights' in the station not working correctly are becoming more and more noticeable.

On a more positive note, has anybody noticed the lighting has changed in the finale recently? They are the same colours but more of a quicker sequence rather than the gradual fading it had before. It has made the finale much more colourful and flashy (a little like the strobes) which is great to see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Mark9 featured and unfeatured this topic