Bubbleworks

2) They could remove both rides, a 2-in-1 project. They could builds both rides at the same time.

Remove their flagship coaster? I don't think they'd ever have the nerve, not only would hardcore fans hit the roof but they'd never get planning permission to built anything like it in the same location. Not to mention you're talking about spending some serious millions. Merlin like the glue and paint approach for the main reason that it's cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually don't mind the ride, shame there is actually no bubble effects working or in there at all - I really enjoy the last section though with the fountains. The thing that really annoys me is when rides themes don't fit together or with the area - It's pointless changing the ride structure, it just needs a complete refurbishment and somehow themed to Transylvania - I guess the original Bubbleworks fitted as it was intended to be a fizzy pop factory in Transylvania?

Bubbleworks has never really fitted, but the original fizzy pop factory theme worked because it had enough sense to semi fit into it with the use of Prof Burp looking like an atypical mad scientist and the Bubbleheads being his minions... It was a weird theme done up because an actual beer brewery was not a suitable theme for a family park...

It also had the benefit of being a whimsical British dark ride, which automatically made it immune from theming clash arguements...

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Chessie today...Went on Bubbleworks...Came off kinda...well...ASHAMED.

Lighting was a bit of an issue in places (NO light in the Spa room and TOO MUCH light on the lift hill) and the former Mixing Room music wasnt playing in the spa either...DREADFUL.

I'm also pretty sure Chessie removed the Imperial Leather logo from the Bubbleworks logo. Had the Cussons sponsorship really ended? Turns out that was a LIE.

If I were head chairman of Merlin, I'd say "either do something about Bubbleworks (eg. revert back to Prof Burp or just improve the ride a little) or rip up the ENTIRE THING and build something actually GOOD"

-----

...But apart from that...it's not really that bad a ride. Still wanna see some improvements tho

I hate to be the small minority but I really don't believe the ride is that bad. Drags on a little at times but I certainly don't feel there is a need to demolish and start over just yet.

I guess it is a step backwards compared to what was there before but I honestly have nothing against the attraction as it is now. Needs a bit of TLC sure, but don't all the rides at Chessington?

In comparison to the old version, it's god-awful... In comparison to most dark rides, it's so lifeless, sterile and reeks of marketing... Pretty colours do not make up for broken effects and still figures staring into the distance...

As for the ride yesterday, weirdly all the house lights were on throughout... I don't understand why but that's something I say about Chessie a lot atm...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No music on the first section of the ride today. It is good to see they have got rid of the Imperial Leather sponsership and given it a tidy up.

The fountains section was improved, but lots of work needs to go into the lights. They have them in the right place, but there were two scan lights which seemed to be on demo mode so were not adding to the effects. They had an LED strobe, but due to the other lights you just didn't get the same effect you once had where the water looks like it freezes due to the strobe lights. I'm sure this will be fixed

No music on the first section of the ride today. It is good to see they have got rid of the Imperial Leather sponsership and given it a tidy up.

The fountains section was improved, but lots of work needs to go into the lights. They have them in the right place, but there were two scan lights which seemed to be on demo mode so were not adding to the effects. They had an LED strobe, but due to the other lights you just didn't get the same effect you once had where the water looks like it freezes due to the strobe lights. I'm sure this will be fixed

Agreed on first section music.

With the fountains I thought it was a vast improvement, with lights going off all over the place and all the fountains lit back up faultlessly. But then maybe my opinion is different; or maybe it was just timing as they seem to be on almost a random setting as there didn't seem to be any flow with what the lights did.

Also, I have to disagree about the tidy up. I thought the ride looked pretty bad today. Okay the boats have been painted and the animatronics are working faultlessly (also the fun fair room music isn't skipping anymore) but in rooms like the factory bit before the lift, they've really really badly removed the Imperial Leather labels on the bottles so that you can see a black Imperial Leather - shaped mark. It also seemed incredibly dusty in my opinion.

• Mark9 featured and unfeatured this topic