Bubbleworks

36 minutes ago, Mysterio Ka said:

Finally putting it out of it's misery it seems. I doubt the ride system will remain. 

I reckon it will remain. Not going to be much time to change the ride system with whatever is taking over by March. I reckon it will simply be a new theme much like when Charlie took over Toyland Tours. 

Dark Rides Project on facebook (electricbill / archive here) say the ride system is remaining, and he knows what he is talking about.

Doesn't mean it can't be amended / added to in some way though. Maybe Charlies lifts will end up down south?

I'm gutted, shocked and sickened at the same time to hear of this. As someone who at least rode the original ride once in 2003, I can definitely say I'm not going to see Bubbleworks go without shedding a tear...

But even so, it still sounds promising how not only it's receiving a complete retheme but also how the ride system could possibly be remaining. Really disappointed though that once again we have to put up with an IP for the theme. Professor Burp's Bubbleworks as we know was a completely original theme and that only provided a little bit of the magic poured into the whole ride. And Benin couldn't be more correct when saying all the magic the ride had died in 2005. Not to mention it was the main (and only) evidence that Transylvania wasn't all dark and scary - it was a quaint European village with a bright atmosphere, leaving the darkness lying behind the archway leading to Vampire. Saying that, I've got a horrible feeling the IP will be something using the darker approach Vampire has, ultimately causing Transylvania to be recognised as a village of fear. Chessington have clearly but potentially hinted this with the Burger Kitchen using this theme.

But then again, this has only just been announced. For now I am having complete trust in Chessington for they have promised us a new ride filled with the amount of magic and happiness the original ride boasted. All we can do now is speculate...

RIP Bubbleworks: 1990-2016

3 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

As much as I love the care and love people are showing for this ride, its 26 years old! It's definitely run its course. It's time for something new

I wont be signing

Don't get why people are getting so worked up about this to be honest.

This is clearly just a retheme of the current ride system (maybe with some minor amendments); hence the "factory doors closing" and "under new management".  The 'bye bye Bubbleworks' is more just a hint that it'll be no longer Bubbleworks by name or nature.  There'll no doubt be an IP; Hotel Translyvania or Gruffalo are where I'm placing my money. 

Nice to see it getting some work as it is needed.  Let's hope they invest a suitable amount of money into it.  But at the moment, colour me uninterested.

52 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

There'll no doubt be an IP; Hotel Translyvania or Gruffalo are where I'm placing my money. 

Whatever the IP is it needs to be something to fit in with the idea of Transylvania being a peaceful European village. Bubbleworks fitted in perfectly back in the day as it was a wacky fizzy pop factory.

I've ridden both versions of bubbleworks- and I agree with everything said above, the original version is so much better

however, I can't help thinking this is all some sort of a hoax

1. the news articles (at least lal the ones I've read) are from diffrent websites- but it seems they are all copies of the original.. for example, 1 news site got it, then sent it around.

2. the artickle is extremely bland. apart from, " a chessington spokeswoman said", what else is their?. any reactions to the closure?. a full history of the atraction?. a time of closing (fair enough it gives a date, but yeah)

3. I don't believe for 1 moment that chessington are planning to aution off ride sets. that does not seem like something they'd do- wouldn't they be placed in storage?

4. didn't bubbleworks have some work done to it during the 2015 closed season?. well then, why bother doing that if they are going to get rid of it?

5. after the outrage of removing  safari skyway, chessington are going to want to regain the pubblic's respect- not removed another classic attraction

these are just thoughtxz

these are just thoughts

4 hours ago, EmilyLovesVortex said:

I've ridden both versions of bubbleworks- and I agree with everything said above, the original version is so much better

however, I can't help thinking this is all some sort of a hoax

1. the news articles (at least lal the ones I've read) are from diffrent websites- but it seems they are all copies of the original.. for example, 1 news site got it, then sent it around.

2. the artickle is extremely bland. apart from, " a chessington spokeswoman said", what else is their?. any reactions to the closure?. a full history of the atraction?. a time of closing (fair enough it gives a date, but yeah)

3. I don't believe for 1 moment that chessington are planning to aution off ride sets. that does not seem like something they'd do- wouldn't they be placed in storage?

4. didn't bubbleworks have some work done to it during the 2015 closed season?. well then, why bother doing that if they are going to get rid of it?

5. after the outrage of removing  safari skyway, chessington are going to want to regain the pubblic's respect- not removed another classic attraction

these are just thoughtxz

these are just thoughts

It's all true. Here is the official press release on the Chessington website. 

https://www.chessington.com/press-item/38/bye-bye-bubbleworks-catch-the-last-bubble-before-it-bursts

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 11:24 AM, spoonablehippo said:

They should set up a 360° video camera in a boat and send it round! Then anyone with a VR headset can download it and experience the ride forever lol

Then use it as a secret feature on Galactica (such as that April Fools joke).

I`m really disapointed the bubbleworks is going, it would be great to see them bring back to the original Pro Burps Bubbleworks, with the technolgogy today, the ride could be fantansic. Lets hope chessington dont go for an IP that only lasts for a few year like "SAW" the ride that means nothing now. Personally I can see a white elephant arriving next year, yet another management  disaster.

3 minutes ago, insider9150 said:

I`m really disapointed the bubbleworks is going, it would be great to see them bring back to the original Pro Burps Bubbleworks, with the technolgogy today, the ride could be fantansic. Lets hope chessington dont go for an IP that only lasts for a few year like "SAW" the ride that means nothing now. Personally I can see a white elephant arriving next year, yet another management  disaster.

There is a new Saw film in the works :) 

41 minutes ago, Ryan said:

There is a new Saw film in the works :) 

Yes, I think a Saw retheme for Bubbleworks could work quite well. Paint the water blood, add some screaming sound effects throughout the ride and add lots of traps. 

You could have the drop lead into a chainsaw and replace the fountain finale with a blood bath ;)

2 hours ago, insider9150 said:

Saw is one of the most iconic and we'll known (horror) film franchises of the 21st century.  Might not have been in the limelight so much over the last couple of years, but it's still is well recognised.  Of all of Merlin's IP investments, I'd argue it's the one with the most meaning. 

I like the Saw IP, what would be a awful Eurofighter is decent because of the first half and the theming.

Anyway back to Bubbleworks!

Its sad to see it go, but its got worse and lost its magic over the years.

I think its a decent investment to update or replace a old dark ride like Bubbleworks.

I hope these types of investments continue, as half of the park is in the state of disrepair.

12 hours ago, imindetonator said:

as half of the park is in the state of disrepair.

Not really. There's 8 areas at Chessington including the zoo, only Land of the Dragons and Forbidden Kingdom are in a real state, in terms of rides, Dragon Falls, Bubbleworks, Toadies, Black Buccanneer and Vampire's station isn't half.

2 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Not really. There's 8 areas at Chessington including the zoo, only Land of the Dragons and Forbidden Kingdom are in a real state, in terms of rides, Dragon Falls, Bubbleworks, Toadies, Black Buccanneer and Vampire's station isn't half.

Maybe not exactly half, but its pretty clear the park is pretty neglected by Merlin.

But the removal of Bubbleworks is a step in the right direction IMO, even though the ride is very nostalgic for some people.

• Mark9 featured and unfeatured this topic