Jump to content

Recommended Posts

See, this is what frustrates me, not just about Merlin but big companies in general. I honestly haven't seen one good reaction to the Gruffalo rumours. I want to think Merlin won't be that stupid but with people such as you, @Archive, who are very knowledgeable saying how likely it is put together with the fact that popular rumours about Merlin rides are nearly always right (Thirteen's drop, Smiler's name, Derren Brown's Ghost Train) the more I think "Its going to be the Gruffalo isn't it", and Merlin won't care about our feedback. The same sort of thing is happening in football. For those of you who don't know the EFL (English Football League) want to add another division to football, incorporate Premier League B Teams in and get rid of midweek games. Nobody wants it but it's looking likely it's going to happen in a few years anyway. Merlin won't care about the feedback and some of the people there seem so out of touch they're sat there thinking "Everyone's going to love this" whereas really everyone's just a bit sad Bubbleworks has gone, because its still very popular with young children. For example, when I told my younger cousins Bubbleworks was closing the reaction was "Oh no!" And when I said it's most likely going to be replaced by the Gruffalo they weren't happy. If, or when, Bubbleworks is replaced by the Gruffalo I honestly hope it blows up in Merlin's face, and all anyone ever says about the ride is "We want Bubbleworks back" "Bubbleworks was so much better" not because I think itll make them bring Bubbleworks back, but because hopefully itll make them realise what a stupid mistake they'll have made by replacing a ride which obviously isn't perfect but on its own (let's just imagine Prof. Burps never existed for one second) definetly isn't a bad dark ride, and which lots of people still enjoy. I never experienced Prof. Burps but when I was younger and I viewed Chessington as an "adults park" Bubbleworks was a very magical experience and my favourite ride in the world, and probably about equally as special as Prof. Burps was to kids back then. The Gruffalo would be a stupid, nonsensical, idiotic replacement but as if Merlin will listen to us, we have no say in it and we can either enjoy it or ignore it. I'll most likely be riding it once and on the off chance it's good I'll ride it more but I can't see it being good. Sorry for the long post but the thought of Merlin actually replacing Bubbleworks with the Gruffalo gets me so very angry. Even the fact that stuff like the elephants head is being sold but not the rest of it. You know what'll happen to it? It'll be painted Brown with some spikes on its back, no tail and a Gruffalo's head on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to our pain in 2005. Everything that was wonderful about Bubbleworks was ripped out, destroyed or given away ten years ago. It's probably why I am so less bothered about Gruffalo then others of a younger age because anything special about the ride went a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

Welcome to our pain in 2005. Everything that was wonderful about Bubbleworks was ripped out, destroyed or given away ten years ago. It's probably why I am so less bothered about Gruffalo then others of a younger age because anything special about the ride went a long time ago.

But wasn't all that was ripped out in 2005 Prof. Burp and all that replaced it ducks? I agree that, at least from what I saw, Burps was a better ride with a distinct story - Burps was a fizzy drinks factory, Bubbleworks is a... soap-duck-bath-fountain factory thing? - but at least some of Prof. Burps was kept slightly the same. I can see Gruffalo being a lazy retheme where nothing will be kept with UV paint everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

But wasn't all that was ripped out in 2005 Prof. Burp and all that replaced it ducks? I agree that, at least from what I saw, Burps was a better ride with a distinct story - Burps was a fizzy drinks factory, Bubbleworks is a... soap-duck-bath-fountain factory thing? - but at least some of Prof. Burps was kept slightly the same. I can see Gruffalo being a lazy retheme where nothing will be kept with UV paint everywhere.

 

It was far more then just Burp removed from the ride. We're talking the corny jokes, the moving props, the personality, the humour, the enjoyment. All replaced by static figures and jokes that don't make sense. The cola coaster was a clever play on words, the duck and dive revitaliser means nothing to anyone. It's just one example in which the lack of imagination went into the new Bubbleworks. The things that remained were ruined. Take the fountain finale, what were they thinking?

 

My favourite review of the new Bubbleworks (back in 2006)

 

http://www.s104638357.websitehome.co.uk/html/bubbleworks_main.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Benin said:

That last line is literally what happened with the last 'refurb'...

I can't see any UV paint on Bubbleworks, unless you mean Tomb Blaster.

 

Bubbleworks current is at least a slightly similar theme to Burps (Its still a factory) and they kept some of it. True the humour is gone but Id prefer what we have now to some woman reading the gruffalo out while it's "acted out" in front of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

...the more I think "Its going to be the Gruffalo isn't it", and Merlin won't care about our feedback...Merlin won't care about the feedback and some of the people there seem so out of touch they're sat there thinking "Everyone's going to love this" whereas really everyone's just a bit sad Bubbleworks has gone, because its still very popular with young children.

 

 

For example, when I told my younger cousins Bubbleworks was closing the reaction was "Oh no!" And when I said it's most likely going to be replaced by the Gruffalo they weren't happy. If, or when, Bubbleworks is replaced by the Gruffalo I honestly hope it blows up in Merlin's face, and all anyone ever says about the ride is "We want Bubbleworks back" "Bubbleworks was so much better" not because I think itll make them bring Bubbleworks back, but because hopefully itll make them realise what a stupid mistake they'll have made by replacing a ride which obviously isn't perfect but on its own (let's just imagine Prof. Burps never existed for one second) definetly isn't a bad dark ride, and which lots of people still enjoy.  

 

 

Even the fact that stuff like the elephants head is being sold but not the rest of it. You know what'll happen to it? It'll be painted Brown with some spikes on its back, no tail and a Gruffalo's head on it.

 

 

You say that Merlin won't care about our feedback (by "our", I assume you mean enthusiasts), yet surely wouldn't the universal hatred for nu Bubbleworks from the enthusiast community be one of the reasons the park have finally decided to put a clean slate over the attraction?  And if you mean "our" as in everyone, then of course they're going to care about the feedback.  Just because something is popular(ish), doesn't mean it can't be (dramatically) improved upon.  People are too sentimental about the theme park industry at times.

 

Bubbleworks isn't a bad ride, but that doesn't mean it's good either.  It panders to children's likes, of simple, bright colours, a catchy tune and running water.  Children love that stuff, so they'll enjoy Bubbleworks.  If it was anywhere near a good ride, it would offer something for everyone else, like a bit of humour or something.  Part of me thinks the only reason Bubbleworks is popular in this day and age is because young children like it, and so the rest of the family tolerate it for the sake of the younger members of their family..

 

I see nothing wrong with reusing some props.  If they've decided to incorporate something into a scene, and they can repurpose it to a high enough standard, let them reuse it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BaronC. said:

 

 

You say that Merlin won't care about our feedback (by "our", I assume you mean enthusiasts), yet surely wouldn't the universal hatred for nu Bubbleworks from the enthusiast community be one of the reasons the park have finally decided to put a clean slate over the attraction?  And if you mean "our" as in everyone, then of course they're going to care about the feedback.  Just because something is popular(ish), doesn't mean it can't be (dramatically) improved upon.  People are too sentimental about the theme park industry at times.

 

Bubbleworks isn't a bad ride, but that doesn't mean it's good either.  It panders to children's likes, of simple, bright colours, a catchy tune and running water.  Children love that stuff, so they'll enjoy Bubbleworks.  If it was anywhere near a good ride, it would offer something for everyone else, like a bit of humour or something.  Part of me thinks the only reason Bubbleworks is popular in this day and age is because young children like it, and so the rest of the family tolerate it for the sake of the younger members of their family..

 

I see nothing wrong with reusing some props.  If they've decided to incorporate something into a scene, and they can repurpose it to a high enough standard, let them reuse it!

Yeah I mean everyone, maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen a big company change things like this vs our feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Bubbleworks isn't a bad ride,

 

It really really is. Not even just in comparison to its old superior self, it manages it all by itself.

 

22 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

 I honestly haven't seen one good reaction to the Gruffalo rumours.

 

To be fair, most 5 year olds who'll actually be interested in this aren't using internet forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merlin aim to make their property more valuable for shareholders, and guest numbers increasing is a part of that. The investment cycle says its time for a boost of X% - where to build it? Well BubbleWorks is crap - let's put it in there and re use the building. The new ride will feature whatever mass-popularity brand is available to bring in the numbers required and prove to investors that Merlin are a valuable company.

 

Whether BubbleWorks is/was a good ride, its history and whether fans care doesn't even come into the equation. It's just infrastructure that they can recycle. They made sure not to spend any capital on BubbleWorks in the last 5 years despite its dire condition and daily guest complaints, keeping it in a terrible condition that way they can justify to themselves removing it for the next big thing. If anything, the fan response to its closure is an added bonus as they can make more PR out of it and these VIP tours doing fan service.

 

They only 'care what people think' as far as proving what the broadest family demographic are asking for - and the resulting IP came up as both affordable and popular enough for the budget. It's about bringing the most guests in and returns for 2017, not if the finished ride is actually the best it can be. BubbleWorks proved success could be had from making a ride as entertaining as possible, using professional show designers and creators and imagination, rather than in-house park departments trying to latch on to trends. And that will be miles more successful & loved in the long run, but in the short run it would take time. Merlin aren't interested in a slow burner, they want next quarter's big new thing, and those are the rules by which BubbleWorks' replacement will be built.

 

BubbleWorks was a hit with young children, and like all good ride designs had threads and humour for older children too, and shared the enjoyment between families. It had real integrity as a ride, and was properly designed by professionals, and with heart. But children aren't selective with their choice obviously, and will enjoy Gruffalo Storybook Adventure too no matter how by-the-numbers it is. Will it inspire like Prof Burp's BubbleWorks did? No, but that's not part of the deal in present day UK theme parks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I hope they overhaul operations as well as the theme, bit strange to see a dozen boats go round empty in between dispatches, made what should have been a 20 minute queue crawl to 70.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ian-S said:

Well I hope they overhaul operations as well as the theme, bit strange to see a dozen boats go round empty in between dispatches, made what should have been a 20 minute queue crawl to 70.

Yeah, when I went on they only let disabled guests on with loads of empty boats inbetween, it was weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2016 at 3:49 PM, Kerfuffle said:

Just hoping IMAscore do at least the finale music if the fountains remain :wub:

Why would you want IMAscore music? They're all so similar. They can only do variations of the same piece effectively. They try way too hard to be epic and dramatic that it just gets annoying an in your face. 

 

And it would be rather insulting to have a piece as famous as the fountain finale track just replaced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Why would you want IMAscore music? They're all so similar. They can only do variations of the same piece effectively. They try way too hard to be epic and dramatic that it just gets annoying an in your face. 

 

And it would be rather insulting to have a piece as famous as the fountain finale track just replaced. 

Smiler and ghost train ..... Similar ???? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Why would you want IMAscore music? They're all so similar. They can only do variations of the same piece effectively. They try way too hard to be epic and dramatic that it just gets annoying an in your face.

 

Let's have a look at The Smiler's soundtrack, and then The Ghost Trains soundtrack. Clearly both of them have so much in common...

 

EDIT: Jonny beat me to it :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HermanTheGerman said:

Yes... That's one of the best examples in fact. Just because the sonic's of the Smiler's track are a little unconventional you think its a vastly different track? 

 

Have a listen to both pieces and tell me what is remotely similar about the two tracks. From the sounds of things, there's nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

similar BPM, written structure, the same uses of sound effects in syncrhonisation with crescendos and diminuendos, when you read in to it from a musically technical point of view they are quite similar. However this is something that us nerds look into far too much. We're reading in to it a lot. I do agree, a lot of IMAscore soundtracks are very samey, you could take most of their pieces and put them back to back and they'd get away as 1 score, however their production is impeccable and occasionally they do produce very unique and good pieces of work. There is little deniability their work is fantastic atmospherically and it's audibly pleasing however I do agree that they have the habit of being extremely generic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×