Bubbleworks

On 9/6/2016 at 11:53 PM, Mysterio Ka said:

I have never seen such a disgusting group of enthusiasts in my life. 50+ all fighting with the managers and other guests to get the last boat. DOES IT REALLY MATTER. Everyone filming all kinds of weird things making average park goers uncomfortable and screaming the music at the top of their lungs, it really ruined the whole good bye experience for me. I guess the send off is appropriate because the whole experience is parallel to how crap the ride is now.

The appauling send off for a once very cherished dark ride giving everyday children some fun, run into the ground by corporate suits and then reduced to a contrived obsession. I don't mean anything personal, but there it is. Chessington handled it embarassingly, but they've profited loads from the tours and saved thousands by not maintaining the scenes properly for years. The end of Imperial Leather BubbleWorks at last!

I'll take my good memories of the original and leave. :)

6 hours ago, Mysterio Ka said:

This is simply not true.

I have never seen such a disgusting group of enthusiasts in my life. 50+ all fighting with the managers and other guests to get the last boat. DOES IT REALLY MATTER. Everyone filming all kinds of weird things making average park goers uncomfortable and screaming the music at the top of their lungs, it really ruined the whole good bye experience for me. I guess the send off is appropriate because the whole experience was parallel to how crap the ride had become.

PS The amount of autism was insane.

Really? All I saw was a video my mum showed me on Facebook of them saying "were stuck on Bubbleworks the last public riders" and they'd stopped on the ramp leading to the station, then all the staff gave them a round of applause for being the last.

PS don't really appreciate the autism quote. 

I was talking about some enthusiasts "behaviour" with a non-enthusiast mate and I likened it in some cases to the behaviour of some CAMRA (real ale club) members I've witnessed when in pubs - perhaps it's the same of any hardcore "supporter" group/club - it's this bizarre sense of entitlement, thinking they know it all better than those that work there and self-worth/self-importance that they have which is frankly embarrassing and does more harm than good.

Disclaimer to say, not everyone is like that  - but as with many things, the small majority spoil it for everyone else!

8 hours ago, Mysterio Ka said:

This is simply not true.

I have never seen such a disgusting group of enthusiasts in my life. 50+ all fighting with the managers and other guests to get the last boat. DOES IT REALLY MATTER. Everyone filming all kinds of weird things making average park goers uncomfortable and screaming the music at the top of their lungs, it really ruined the whole good bye experience for me. I guess the send off is appropriate because the whole experience was parallel to how crap the ride had become.

Its a shame they have to ruin it for everyone else - people complain about the "Send-off" and the small bits it gets are ruined by a selfish few. Its no wonder the parks try to avoid this as much as possible! 

It's a shame when people ruin an experience for everyone else, and frankly as enthusiasts (people who are supposed to care about parks), they should know better.

With that said I don't see it as a reason for stopping such events; however maybe the people who acted in that way should be banned from any such event in the future.

I didn't go to the farewell event, but the park's video on Facebook was laughable.

10 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

It's a shame when people ruin an experience for everyone else, and frankly as enthusiasts (people who are supposed to care about parks), they should know better.

With that said I don't see it as a reason for stopping such events; however maybe the people who acted in that way should be banned from any such event in the future.

I didn't go to the farewell event, but the park's video on Facebook was laughable.

Built up hype for closing the factory...

15 minutes later... 20 second live video :D

Actually being there at the very end on the last 20 boats or so I can say I didn't see disgusting enthusiast behaviour from 50+ people! Although there were people waiting at the end of queue encouraging people to move in-front of them in order to bag the last ride there weren't loads of people doing this. From memory it was one group of 3 and they did end up getting the last ride (At least I thought they did until someone else who had been waiting in the station right before you board who was recording and taking photos jumped in the last boat, I thought it was funny and it spited that group who were being really ridiculous and insistent about being last). In terms of singing the song at the top of their lungs the most noise that was made was around half the people in the station clapping with the theme and it was a nice moment! You'll likely see it on a certain YouTube channel as he was recording at the time. I saw nothing wrong with the behaviour and I had a really good time sending the ride off! It was also heartwarming to see that straight after the last public ride there were quite a few staff members waiting to have their last go as well! So if anything the last public riders gained nothing from waiting! I also heard rumblings of rides during the evening press event but I obviously wasn't there so I don't know whether that was true or not. Either way, I enjoyed my last few rides on Bubbleworks in it's current form and I'm interested to see what becomes of it regardless of what anyone else says.

I've only just read this topic today and I'm genuinely amazed to see even some appreciation for post 2005 Bubbleworks, even if you didn't go on the original its easy to see that it's just soulless, corporate crap. How anyone can feel like they have any sort of emotional connection to the ride in it's post 2005 state is beyond me, thank god it's finally gone.

19 hours ago, OlivusPrime said:

I suppose this makes Duel Merlin's best operating UK dark ride by default... we seem to be slipping back into the dark ages.

EMERGENCY EDIT: Forgot Ghost Train, before the horde consumes me. Still, not a lineup to be particularly proud of.

Except the Goat Ghost Train has barely been operating......

Is there a video of these alleged arguments and chaos?

7 hours ago, Cornflakes said:

I've only just read this topic today and I'm genuinely amazed to see even some appreciation for post 2005 Bubbleworks, even if you didn't go on the original its easy to see that it's just soulless, corporate crap. How anyone can feel like they have any sort of emotional connection to the ride in it's post 2005 state is beyond me, thank god it's finally gone.

For a while I've been seeing Bubbleworks as a sick animal. After all these years of suffering the time finally came for it to be put down.

Shocking that they can get so many things wrong, do they actually care about the park?

Chessington have really shown their true colours with how they handled the Bubbleworks closure IMO, the unprofessionalism is a disgrace to the park and those who worked tirelessly to make it good in the first place.

It's a shame, but IMO the place is going downhill rapidly.

On 9/7/2016 at 11:32 PM, Project LC said:

I thought they were basically copy and pasting the work you had done on the British dark rides project just with very little effort and not caring about the details.

Looks like some facts from that documentary were used, in a very hamfisted way ("the floor lifted up in the finale" when the fountains were first turned on, "the strobes went backwards" etc). However there was a separate issue raised whereby Chessington took images from there that didn't belong to them and photoshopped out the watermarks to present it as their own.

The whole thing from willyheads to nicking other peoples' stuff just seems more than ever like they didn't really know what the ride was they were closing.

• Mark9 featured and unfeatured this topic