Tomb Blaster

Generally everything at Chessington is broken except the hotels, most of the zoo and Wild Asia (sort of).

Tombs,Falls,Vampire, skyways and even Rattlesnake are nearing retirement now (a thread for the first few) until they need replacing, which just leaves Bubbleworks, Scorpion, Fury and the mess that's Zufari in terms of main rides that are still ok.

Tombs have a massive headache if it's still closed (especially being a Mack ride).

Tombs,Falls,Vampire, skyways and even Rattlesnake are nearing retirement now (a thread for the first few) until they need replacing, which just leaves Bubbleworks, Scorpion, Fury and the mess that's Zufari in terms of main rides that are still ok.

Yet Fury is not reliable at all, Bubbleworks is stuck on half capacity and Scorpion does not shift a queue fast enough for its popularity (not a fault of the ride, it's just one of those rides where low capacity can't be helped). Not sure what Chessington can do to be honest, but spending money on existing rides to get them into fully working order would help.

The site states it's unavailable, the park are not at all obliged to give any sort of details as to why an attraction isn't available as far as I'm aware. 

I can apreciate that fact, sort of.

I agree that the park arn't obliged to say something like- well, toomb's down because it's broken and we're trying to fix it (in fact highly un professional that)

but, what they can say, is if it's going to open again this season, or if they are waiting for a part

what's wrong with them saying - we regret to inform adventurers that due to circumstances beyond our control, toom blaster will not be open for the remainder of the 2015 season

same for if it's waiting for a part. if they can say that about vampire, they can say it about toomb.

this is why I say that they don't know. toomb's been down for weeks now- which tells me it's not a simple fix

Without knowing the complete in and outs of it all, Tomb Blaster is currently down due to major concerns with the fire safety of the builduing. I'm not sure if it was an internal or external decision but There was always a rumor going round that the thing would go up flames in about 6 minutes.

thank you for the insight in to why toomb blaster is closed

I'm glad that it's not to do with the actual ride (that will all run smoothly when it reopens), but because of safety concerns

• 4 weeks later...

Q: How does everyone feel IF Chessie were to replace Tomb Blaster / Terror Tomb with a SFX Coaster?

It's been 11 years since their last coaster (Dragon's Fury) in 2004 and people have been saying that Chessie is due for a major investment in 2017 and that Tomb Blaster is to be getting replaced by a dark ride.

Dynamic Attractions said that one of their SFX Coasters have been commissioned for a UK Park. It doesn't make sense for it to be Paramount, because I feel it's too early for them to be contacting manufacturers since they haven't got the final go ahead for the development of their theme park (correct me if I'm wrong).

It DOES at the same time make sense because maybe they plans things way ahead in advance and I am certain that Paramount would get a SFX Coaster if they got given the green light, because they are the "It-Thing" in theme parks and attractions and would provide an experience similar to Gringotts.

I could see Chessie getting a SFX Coaster because

1) It's been a long time since they've had a coaster and the main problem they face is the issue over noise levels and height restrictions and a SFX Coaster is an indoor attraction so it should solve this issue.

2) Terror Tomb apparently is a huge building with a lot of space and The Mummy as an example isn't a huge building and everything inside is very compactly put.

3) Britain rains a lot and so it would be a big attraction that doesn't stop working when it rains.

Thoughts?

It's a great idea that people would be extremely excited for. But UK parks don't like risky expensive good ideas so it wouldn't happen anytime soon.

The 5D building is very custom built and somewhat unreasonably GIGANTIC. When the sets were replaced for Terror Tomb, a large amount of 5th Dimension space was left unused in the ride itself. There are a lot of storage spaces behind sets, and maintenance/refuge areas, which used to be part of the bigger scenes in 5D. Take out the ageing transit system and you'd have yourself a giant amount of space, in fact three storeys when you remove the floors.

However it's not that easy, the building is notoriously difficult to do large amounts of construction in. There are a few load bearing interior walls that would be too complicated to remove. Oh and the huge Dragon River SUPPORTS go right through the main section of building, seemingly John Wardley's failsafe idea to prevent his transit system ever being replaced, haha

Is it just me but does Revenge of the Mummy remind any of you of Terror Tomb? The first time I rode RotM I felt scared and unnerved, the same way I felt when I rode Terror Tomb when I was a kid.

I would love for some kind of dark ride coaster to be inside Tomb Blaster's building, but it looks like that could never happen.

It's probably true from a budget perspective. You are much more likely to get a budget for a huge new dark ride development if you can prove that a similar one at Thorpe was successful. But Merlin's budget system is broke'd so anything can happen and then not happen, and different people can class what is 'successful' according to what they want. However what Chessington wants is probably independent of Thorpe Park's plans.

Falls would have to be closed for a long time or removed itself if Tomb was going to be demolished. Tomb building isn't going to be demolished, although that was one plan being considered initially, which is probably when that rumour originated.

They should just bulldoze that whole area and redo it, but I know the insanity that is local government will likely not approve it for some bat**** stupid reason like noise (completely ignoring the fact that Dragon's fury is one of the loudest rides I've ever heard), so they're left in the embarrising situation of maintaining a prehistoric ride knowing full well that if push come to shove, the local authority wouldn't even let them replace it with a new version of the exact same ride.

Also fun fact, I was at a house within a stones throw of Chessington last week on business, you couldn't hear the park, nor Fury, nor nothing actually, might be different for other houses, but sometimes I just shake my head in disbelief at LA's.

What Matt Creek said is most likely not far from the truth. Though, seeing as work to Tomb Blaster is vital for safety purposes, (look at it's current closure...) it won't be a case of plans being ditched if WC16 flops. What's more likely is Merlin giving the project next to no budget instead, meaning that the park can resolve the infrastructure problems, and just about open a new ride.

Although, you never know. It is Chessington; plans seem to change overnight at the minute.

• 3 months later...

Looks fairly promising stuff that a lot of work seems to be happening on their (original) tired dark ride. Depending on the work level. It hopefully looks to be in the best state it's been in for at least 10 years.

Good to see the park give some love to their old (main attractions) like this Vampire and to a lesser extent Bubbleworks & Fury.

At the cost of skyway, there seems to be some hope left.

I'm hoping this will result in the ride beingin the best state it's been in for a long time (maybe even since the Terror Tomb days).

But it will be the best since the mid-late 2000s for sure.

That article's not completely accurate as the effects control systems will be the same PLCs as the Terror Tomb days I believe... new audio & lighting though (very bright UV LEDs and the associated UV paintwork restoration or additions). It gets scaffolded most closed seasons I believe for inspections to the sets, and because there never were any maintenance gantries for lighting, etc.. (a big problem with the 5th Dimension).

Thanks for linking my videos Chess Buzz. Although I think the BubbleWorks one was meant to be the 5th Dimension one?

I'm genuinely shocked (but very pleased) that they are spending £800,000 on redoing Tomb Blaster, it was in need of a refresh for a number of years so it's great to see it getting some attention!

Wish they were removing the laser shooting aspect though.

Agreed - a spooky/scary ride with a story would be better. The gun thing gets very tedious after one ride :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk