Tomb Blaster

I'm genuinely shocked (but very pleased) that they are spending £800,000 on redoing Tomb Blaster, it was in need of a refresh for a number of years so it's great to see it getting some attention!

Wish they were removing the laser shooting aspect though.

Whilst I completely agree, from what I can gather, Terror Tomb was revamped not only due to the park's change in marketing, but also because of falling popularity...and then the lasers and targets were added and I'm pretty sure it's mostly the interactivity that brings people back to it.

But saying that, the GP really need to understand what this type of dark ride in particular was designed for. The Fifth Dimension's problem for instance was that the staff were treating it like a ride rather than a show, like it was supposed to be. And nowadays, Tomb Blaster is far from something you'd call a show.

Whilst I completely agree, from what I can gather, Terror Tomb was revamped not only due to the park's change in marketing, but also because of falling popularity...and then the lasers and targets were added and I'm pretty sure it's mostly the interactivity that brings people back to it.

But saying that, the GP really need to understand what this type of dark ride in particular was designed for. The Fifth Dimension's problem for instance was that the staff were treating it like a ride rather than a show, like it was supposed to be. And nowadays, Tomb Blaster is far from something you'd call a show.

I agree to an extent, but I would argue that the laser shooting aspect wouldn't be needed if the ride itself was able to entertain people without it, as it seemingly was as Terror Tomb.

I quite like Tomb Blaster (never experienced the original :(), but it's quite bland in that some of the scenes (e.g. the final snake scene) become quite tedious if you aren't shooting the targets.

This refurbishment would have been a great time to reintroduce it as a ride with a small backstory (maybe a different-but-similar one to the original), but nevertheless it's good to see it being revamped.

TBH I can't see the lasers disappearing from this ride, as long as it's known as Tomb Blaster. Chances are when that day comes, it'll probably mark the end of not just ride, but the whole system too (including the ride building too perhaps).

This year will be an interesting year for dark rides (at least in the uk) with Thorpe's next investment which could really change the UK industrie's attitude to dark rides if the ride is both a success in marketing and experience. This could result in other parks investing in their own new dark rides to try and reflect similar success and this isn't completely fenced off to Merlin parks either.

No idea what they're doing in there, but hope it's more than just freshening up.

What would improve things greatly, especially in the scenes where the train is static, is if the targets moved and/or triggered things when shot. Would bring a who lot of life to an otherwise uninspired ride.

• 4 weeks later...