Tomb Blaster

What was wrong with it out of interest?

I imagine it will be up to standards when the main season starts. Rides are often poorly presented in February events because most of the staff haven't been employed yet. Most of the cleaning/fixing gets done in March I think.

The exterior is green, falling apart and generally horrible (not to mention it looks like a jail cell), and the interior was back to being too dark to see as much as it was when it is a bit lighter, plus the huge amount of dust on everything was bad and could have been cleaned easily.

Ride meant to be themed as ancient Egyptian tomb has too much dust inside it...

Certainly not the most highest priority issue with the ride... Or the park...

I think it is just part of the bigger problem at Chessington. It's been closed for four months, it should technically be in a nice clean state for the season ahead. But it isn't. Brushing it off (no pun intended) because there are much bigger fish to fry is exactly the reason why the park is in such a rubbish way.

• 1 month later...

Well, erm, today this was so, so bad...

No working revolving wall, Anubis was dead, and the snake, and the finale mummies...

Like, seriously never seen it as bad as that, not even worth it opening tbh...

All the above worked today, the only problem with the ride today was that not a single target worked in the Final giant snake scene. This is the part you can usually really up your score!

Seems to be really inconsistent with the effects!

As usual loading was dire!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tomb Blaster is certainly one ride I would love to go behind the scenes of. I remember going on the fifth dimension when that was around and it's good to still the red and grey floor tiles on the floor as you enter and exit the ride to still remind me of the history of this ride.

Couple of things have always intrigued me and I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me.

Firstly what and where is the main 'control centre' which controls the actual ride animatronics and ride experience. Presume it's not all done from the control box visible in the train station?

Secondly can anyone talk through the ride layout in the actual warehouse. As you go up the hill at the start you are obviously on the upper floor until you descend again in the fire pit scene. So what is on the lower level below the snake pit and revolving door scenes?

Thanks!

I'm not sure where the show control plant is but there will definitely be one separate from the op box, since the scenes have to run in sequence rather than being individually triggered by the train (as with the Haunted House for example). It will all be computer based, although highly unlikely to be the same technology that ran 5th Dimension/Terror Tomb! Someone please correct me if they know the ride better, I'm interested in knowing myself!

The 5D show building comprises of one large double-storey warehouse, containing the majority of the ride. The spike room and axe corridor are on the top levels (below the spike scene is the maintenance bay), then both levels are used for the fire pit to give that grand sense of scale. On the lower floor is the station, revolving tunnel and epilogue corridor only.

The warehouse also has two additional "wings" on either side, which is hidden by the extensive facadery added in the Terror Tomb redesign. The right wing contains the preshow queueline and the snake pit scene overhead, which the train enters immediately after ascending the ramp. The building's left wing is dedicated entirely to the finale scene, hence the only point in the ride where you can see the building's floor and roof at the same (the track is elevated about half way up).

There is not actually that much room below the track at its lowest points. I don't know what's down there, probably maintenance areas, I'm sure somebody else will know for sure!

Something fun to do... If you look up just before coming into the offload station, you can see the back of the anubis statue through a missing ceiling panel. This is because at this point the track is actually on three levels and the epilogue set (most of which is now gone anyway) is squashed into the small space available behind the fire pit set.

Thanks for the info, had to read it several times to picture in my mind. Interesting to hear about the extra wings built as I was presuming the track design was exactly the same as Fifth Dimension, did they add to the track then to incorporate the snake pit scene? Also presume when you mention the spike scene that this is the scene with the mummy that spins in the revolving door and shoots at you?

Having looked at the YouTube video recently of the terror tomb ride, it's amazing how many props and animatronics they took out for the tomb blaster re theme. The first scene as you leave the station prior to the ramp is dark and nonexistent now and why did they take out the actual props of the axe throwing zombies and replace with the shadows we now see...too scary?

I appreciate why it was changed to shooting do give a re-ride aspect to the ride, but I do feel sad particularly on the final scene with the snake which is a bit boring when the train stops for a while and there is not much going on, a far cry from the guitar playing zombie previously.

Thanks to electric bill for highlighting the original terror tomb music from graham smart which I recently purchased. I noticed the first track with the chickens in background was playing in the park on Sunday as ambient music by Ramases Revenge.

Finally, I know this has been discussed previously and I know about Adbab and his relics around the vampire queue, but I wonder where the rest of the removed props are, I guess either taken when re themed or dumped! What a shame. I found some animatronics on ebay this weekend from the London Dungeon, would have bid on them but don't have space for an 8ft executioner figure!

Sorry I meant the facades and false exterior walls were added for the Terror Tomb redesign (so that the building looks a completely different shape to how it actually is). The warehouse itself has always been the same shape with the two 'wings' either side. The track layout has always been the same.

However, I believe some interior walls/floors were removed to create the large space for the fire pit set, as there is no such space indicated on the original 5th Dimension plans. These old graphics will help you visualise the track layout:

lowerplan.gif

upperplan.gif

As for animatronics being removed from Terror Tomb... yes they removed a lot unfortunately! :( The axe corridor has always had shadow illusions, bar the one mummy waving an axe which is still there today (albeit no longer giggling like a maniac).

Some of the Terror Tomb props are scattered throughout the ride as they were salvaged from storage a few seasons ago. Spot them if you can! The actual characters have all vanished though. Interesting that you bring up the Executioner animatronic from the Traitor boat ride - as it was by the same company that produced Terror Tomb!

• 4 weeks later...

Past couple of visits the section of targets past the caged wolf, past the axe-throwers and into the 'dog statue pit' scene have been off/broken. How long does it take to fix the main part of Tomb Blaster - the targets!

I noticed this during my recent visit! Not only that, but we waited a good hour and a half to get in when the wait time was allegedly 40mins and when we got into the station we noticed that the attendants were just chatting and laughing away instead of regularly letting guests through, checking lap bars and- you know- actually operating the ride! This was honestly quite irritating to see, but other than that its a great ride as far as interactive shooters go (when everything is working!!) and actually my favourite in the country =)

I went on this today, a number of the trains had broken lap bars which meant empty seats leaving the station. There was no music or audio up the boulder ramp, so all you could hear is the squeaky train, plus all the ceiling fans were on so the whole ride was lit up beautifully with sun light.

I've noticed that when you go down the hill in the fire pit section, the train seems to move much faster than I remember, can the trains move at different speeds?

I went on this today, a number of the trains had broken lap bars which meant empty seats leaving the station. There was no music or audio up the boulder ramp, so all you could hear is the squeaky train, plus all the ceiling fans were on so the whole ride was lit up beautifully with sun light.

I've noticed that when you go down the hill in the fire pit section, the train seems to move much faster than I remember, can the trains move at different speeds?

What do you expect from a nearly 30 year old ride? ;)