Tomb Blaster

Up until very recently, as in the last two weeks recently. Tomb had been achieving a max throughput of 450pph. That must have been the joy you witnessed.

How does that compare with what it should it be getting these days? Tomb Blaster has always struck me as being a ride that gets far lower throughput than it looks like it should be capable of.

However, I believe some interior walls/floors were removed to create the large space for the fire pit set, as there is no such space indicated on the original 5th Dimension plans.

The fire pit used to be a swamp in the 5th Dimension, it was exactly the same in regards to size and space, although was a lot darker and moodier than it is today.

I think from what I've seen of the swampland scene (I never rode The 5th Dimension), the sets are all roughly at train level, rather than there being about a 10ft drop like in the Tomb fire pit.

Also the epilogue scene where Zappomatic waves goodbye from his crashed rocket has a tall wide set. Such a space just does not exist in Tomb because the three-storey fire pit set takes up most of the room in that part of the building. The floor plans I posted above show black lines indicating a "hollow partition" during the downwards slope (which would be easy to remove) and the walls currently separating the epilogue scene in Tomb from the bottom of the fire pit are not shown on the plans.

I could be wrong as I never knew the ride pre-90s but I'm pretty sure. Do tell about the swamp scene because I'd like to find out more! :)

There was a drop in the swamp scene. You looked down into a load of greenery and 'bubbling' swamp SFX. Zappomatic appeared from behind a bush and said 'still no luck ? I've almost fixed the laser blasters...' (Or something like that). There was also a sign saying 'grog was here..'

I've got a ton of pics somewhere of a lights on walk through during closed season, although they're of tomb.

Looking at the plans, it seems the swampland was n two distinct levels (whereas now there is only one open space), with one part on the upper level and one between the lower level heading towards the gorg cavern (which would have included the dropped floor). Reviewing the photos I can now see the set lower than train level, although not right down to the lower storey like today, so perhaps they were taken in the first part before heading down to the "swamp spiders".

Photos published on ReRide.net...

SwampI_zps64e06e29.jpg

SwampII_zps20ffa0c4.jpg

Slight perspective illusion in these photos making the set look smaller, but there is a drop as you can see where one of the trees is potted on the floor. Although the drop looks much shallower than today in this section of the ride.

Here it is under show lighting:

ScreenShot2014-08-01at112116_zpse59947c5

This is a different viewpoint of roughly same area, during construction of Terror Tomb. You can see the epilogue track through the missing wall at the bottom of the pit.

FirePitConstructionIIIcopy_zps5339fd79.j

It's visibly deeper and more open than the swampland scene in The 5th Dimension interestingly. It could be a combination of lowering the floor, removing the wall partition between levels and using forced perspective in the set design.

FirePitII_zps1d6bc4f2.jpg

• 1 month later...

From bill's post mentioning how the ride sysem would logically be new-ish. Well let me put it this way, dragon falls has a fairly ancient control system of relays etc in it's own space. You could run dragon falls of an I phone (although not nearly reliable enough)

Those vents which let heat/smoke out incase of evacuation can be alarming to the other operators. As Tomb is only one fag butt away from becoming a towering inferno!

• 3 weeks later...