Samurai

Whether you rode it there or not, it certainly created alot of controversy when it became common knowledge that Samurai was moving to Thorpe.Many say Samurai was at its best at Chessie, fitted in better, and was a major attraction for the park.Let us remember samurai as it should be remembered- back in its righteous home! ( I couldn't think of the right word, so insread I put righteous ;) )

Awww the good old days. 3 rides really got me into theme parks; Vampire, Rameses Revenge and Samurai at Chessington. Nothing can beat the memories of walking into the South entrance and seeing a 6 armed gondola swinging majestically over the treetops. Samurai's reputation was one no other UK flat ride can beat. The ride had queues regularly over 2 hours, filling the whole of Mystic East and queues spreading way outside of the area.Oh and the ride was simply fantastic. I remember my last ride at Halloween well with the mister on and manually swinging round. Simply sublime and something it can never replicate at Thorpe is the out of control feeling.Samurai at Chessington: Can you handle it. Ooh I've got goosebumps :P

• 4 weeks later...

Chessington Samurai pisses all over Thorpe Samurai, although the latter has improved since opening it is still a shadow of it's former self.At Chessington it just did everything better, it was faster, had manual operation, better setting, better lighting. Inversions would last longer, it was much more forceful and much more of a dominant presence within the park.Take a look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I didn't realise until now its 9 years old :-|I wish they'd get it properly fix and done up so it can run in Chessie standards again. At least then the huge queues will be worth something at the end.

Why fix whats not broken?The VAST majority of the people there would not of been on a topscan so to them, samurais great.And its not really about fixing it up, it had a complete refurbishment, the point is the rides are designed to be used in a travelling fair, samurai running any faster would require more maintenance on it, meaning it be unavailable more throughout the season.

Posted ImageCan you handle it?!EDIT: Love it how the photo of people riding it at the bottom was taken on Rameses. LOL!

They've done that on Thorpe's website, they've used people who are riding Nemesis Inferno, to advertise Stealth. You can tell that they are riding Nemesis Inferno because they are wearing red B&M restraints

Samurai is a fair ground ride, its not designed to be run a minimal of around 8/9 hours a day (much more in summer/fright nights) through out pretty much the entire year, thats why the ride needed a refurbishment when it did, and may well need future work on it to.

I'm not sure what makes everyone keep on about wanting the 'old' settings back. Enough people get a thrill for it at THORPE PARK, and everytime I go I see people not wanting to go on it because it looks 'scary'. Surely, by making it more intense, it could gain less riders?Also, as Marc said above, it is a fair ground ride, and working alot more hours anyway, a greated setting won't really do the rides parts much good.

I'm not sure what makes everyone keep on about wanting the 'old' settings back. Enough people get a thrill for it at THORPE PARK, and everytime I go I see people not wanting to go on it because it looks 'scary'. Surely, by making it more intense, it could gain less riders?

What an absolutely terrible justifcation for having a slow ride. People are scared by it anyway so it doesn't need to be fast? The biggest WHAT THE BLOODY HELL ever. I know that I can only speak for myself when it comes to Samurai, having ridden it a lot at Chessington and knowing how awesome and punch the air it can be when you get a decent ride on it. Suffice to say I've had that about twice since it moved.