Future Of Chessington

They should make the car park double decker, then use the spare car park as a new land expansion! That must be at least a quarter of the size of the park itself.

The problem with Chessington's car parks is that the north car park near Fury is located on green belt land and apparently there's only so much they're allowed to do when it comes to maintaining it there, even filling in potholes and the like.

I strongly doubt we'll see major expansions at Chessington due to the reasons above and with issues such as strict council regulations, the (apparent) land slidng and that when vampire can't operate anymore Chessington looks to be (in quite a few ways) doomed for the near future in regards to expanding and progressing (unless they can find more land nearby or rules of planning are relaxed).

Whilst Legoland have a similar problem in regards to shortage of land, at least they're building restrictions are slightly better.

Zufari is green belt land, just saying...

And as for dead spots, as far as I'm aware (please correct me if I'm wrong) the land behind Wild Asia that is currently a campsite is available, the restrictions in that half of the park are significantly lower as well. Other sites that can be used are Toadies (which takes up a surprisingly large amount of room) and Trail of the Kings (if Zufari had failed with the planners then that area of the zoo would have been relocated to the Zufari site, freeing up that area for expansion).

The only other possible site is the field next to Black Buccaneer, but as far as I'm aware, that suffers the same issues and the Fury car park.

There's a field right behind Wild Asia that's just BEGGING for a cred... Dunno if it's greenbelt mind, though also consider that Chessie could only get the Wanyama/Zufari expansions because of having the animals involved in both...

Unfortunately closing themselves in via the service road doesn't help expansion plans, as you end up with pathways around Zufari which are just 10ft tall fences of AWFULNESS...

Well as far as I know, even John Wardley knows that Chessington is one of those parks that couldn't expand a lot:

"After Chessington's second phase had opened, Madame Tussauds owners, Pearsons, decided we should continue expanding. They obviously saw considerable potential for the concept we had developed.

But although Pearsons wanted us to expand, the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames definitely didn't! It was obvious to us all that the way forward, building bigger, better, more spectacular rides and attractions, could not be done at Chessington with the huge restrictions the local planners put on the site."

(Creating my own Nemesis)

There's a field right behind Wild Asia that's just BEGGING for a cred... Dunno if it's greenbelt mind, though also consider that Chessie could only get the Wanyama/Zufari expansions because of having the animals involved in both...

Unfortunately closing themselves in via the service road doesn't help expansion plans, as you end up with pathways around Zufari which are just 10ft tall fences of AWFULNESS...

Yep, if Chessington did some serious work with their back of house facilites a lot of space could be made available. Also from the Safari Skyway you can still see into a lot of the back of house areas near the new hotel / Otter enclosure. If they had thought out Zufari / Wanyama a bit better with the service road then I'm sure another attraction or animal enclosure would have fitted.

• 1 month later...

I think we'll see a lot more immersive animal encounters like a new penguin 'attraction' or something along those lines. I'd love sea lion bay to get knocked down, it's a disgusting and needs some attention, ride wise.. There's always been talk of a coaster on Toadies 'in the future', but obviously; Chessington.. Wouldn't hold on for much ride wise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I have come across fan made plans which has great ideas for a large rapids based attraction which would be located on the green open by dragons fury. I think I can only hope this is built at Chessington as it would be a truley amazing addition.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac30/BigAl1993/Chessington/KCRRV2_zpsb2a3cee6.png

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I have come across fan made plans which has great ideas for a large rapids based attraction which would be located on the green open by dragons fury. I think I can only hope this is built at Chessington as it would be a truley amazing addition.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac30/BigAl1993/Chessington/KCRRV2_zpsb2a3cee6.png

That really would be an incredible addition. It's just that grass area isn't claimed. :(

Now I heard a while back that in a few years (maybe as early as 2017) that Chessie WILL be getting a Rapids ride and that It will be near Zufari as the green belt restrictions around there have now been really loosened.

Be interesting to see how that would be done though, I maybe thinking of the wrong location but under the impression that Rapids is their next big investment.

Personally I think that'll be a great addition

A Rapids ride would work really well at the park ImO and I'm hoping the land restrictions are loosening slightly (as much the council apparently don't like them). 2017 sounds right to me, especially on the four year cycle Merlin are doing now.

I think another coaster is planned, but it's a kiddie one on toadies site (which explains why it's so rundown there currently).

Well yes I know that bubble works also has a circular boat but it's more a relaxing stroll down a stream with many (now inanimate) objects to a cheery happy piece of music

However Rapids these are more adventurous and you bounce up and down, spin and lurch (supposedly) across a raging river.

With chessingtons theme of exploration and adventure this would fit in nicely and give a bit more of a 'thrilling element'

(And yes I also hear toadies site will be used for a future development - which is sad times for me as I do have a soft spot for toadie - but not for a 'major addition' though....)

Just because we may hear things doesn't mean they happen. We were literally told Dragon Falls was being done for 2014, look how that panned out.

Nothing will be definite at the moment, and I doubt a rapids would be high on their priority list! :lol:

Oh I know this Ben - but where I heard it from, I have a lot more belief in this being the current direction.

Take as you will but for me hearing a lot of rumours and ideas over the years, which I take with a pinch of salt - this time my reaction was 'ooooo that sounds interesting, hope they do not change their futuristic direction' as it came from somewhere that for me is deemed a lot more reliable that I from personal experience just can't take as a pinch of salt.

Yes plans change over the years and things get stopped but this is currently the major consideration at this time that I myself am happy to rely on and have faith from the words of what I find - something credible

Now I heard a while back that in a few years (maybe as early as 2017) that Chessie WILL be getting a Rapids ride and that It will be near Zufari as the green belt restrictions around there have now been really loosened.

Be interesting to see how that would be done though, I maybe thinking of the wrong location but under the impression that Rapids is their next big investment.

Personally I think that'll be a great addition

I'd be very happy with a family, launched coaster for the Glade (between Wild Asia and Mystic East) and then a rapids near Zufari. I hope what Matt Creek (member) said is true, because the green belt land restrictions are preventing the park from expanding and improving.

Hopefully there'll be a Hurricane River style element to it  (if we get a rapids ride) :rolleyes:

Well yes I know that bubble works also has a circular boat but it's more a relaxing stroll down a stream with many (now inanimate) objects to a cheery happy piece of music

However Rapids these are more adventurous and you bounce up and down, spin and lurch (supposedly) across a raging river.

With chessingtons theme of exploration and adventure this would fit in nicely and give a bit more of a 'thrilling element'

Really cannot agree more, I really do believe rapids at Chessington would be perfect. Yes Bubbleworks is a water ride but comparing it with a River Rapids is practically comparing Charlie with Congo River or Fairy Tail Brook with Viking River Splash you definetly get a different ride experience. If themed around adventure (which would be crazy if it was not) River Rapids could be a big hit for the park.

Doesn't mean I would be dissapointed to see a launch coaster at the park as well :P