Gardaland

The funny thing is, no one complained when Thorpe got the exact same type of coaster as Gardaland, and no one's complaining that Heide Park are possibly get that same type as well. No one complained when Heide Park opened a scare maze themed around one of their major coasters, just like Thorpe did. The only difference - if this ride is the same as Sub Terra - is that they would have opened in the same year.

If Alton don't like, then in honesty, they should just suck it up and deal with it. It could be much worse after all - an extremely similar ride could be opening in this country, in a foreign park much more popular to British audiences or Sub Terra could be a completely flop hated by everyone..

EDIT: Just as a point to raise to Sidders' point below me. I think it was mentioned on the TT10 event over the weekend that Sub Terra has received mixed reactions, as opposed to it just being based on fan reaction. Though, to be honest, I don't actually know - or care - as I've avoided anything relating to Sub Terra since it opened in an attempt to avoid spoilers.. XD

N:ST is not a huge hit. Feedback is extremely mixed.

I quite enjoy it now, but the ride feedback is very 50/50. Thankfully there is more to come.

Perhaps I am just snobby and totally unrealstic, but I don't like seeing extremely similar rides duplicated so quickly. It screams "lack of creativity" to me. Probably doesn't make business sense but hey, I will sit on my high horse :P

But this is Merlin; creativity is second to perceived physical impact a lot of the time (e.g. a Gerstlauer Eurofighter looks more imposing to the layman than a 'rickety old' Wooden Coaster). Sure, this isn't a problem to the extent of say, a Six Flags park, and most certainly, if any Merlin park can be expected to deliver on experience and magical escapism then Alton's your best bet, but I just feel like it's no harm done if Gardaland repeat the same style. To be fair you could criticise Heide Park for copying SAW Alive if we go by this logic. I like the idea of N:ST, and think one as far away as Italy won't matter one jot to anyone outside fanboyism.

And on the topic of N:ST's reception - how can you tell if responses are mixed unless people write about them on forums? And why would they be on forums if not an enthusiast? Not food for thought or anything to antagonise you, but I just don't believe it's been mixed in the family and non-enthusiast market when I hear plenty of stories of people leaving the ride saying they enjoyed/were scared ****less by it.

I know people in a variety of roles (from basic ride staff to management) who work at Alton Towers, have worked at the park in the past, and the ride is receiving a mixed reaction - literally 50/50. Stand at the exit and you would find the same. Hence why it will be closing again soon for further work. The park are still not satisfied with it and REALLY want to make it work.

I am not lying.

:)

*EDIT - the 50/50 is however an improvement on the opening week or two, so they are getting there.

Ultimately, the only things the guests are continually saying is that the attraction is too short, and the drop is too small/short.

So, if gardaland made it longer, or had a powerful drop or a ride system allowing for multiple drops, then they'd be onto a winner - storyline and theming dependant though

To be fair to Gardaland, they did the whole "egg discovery research leading to giant alien attack" story first, so Towers kinda stole that off them really and just tied it into Nemesis' pre-existing back story...

If the theming is anything like Raptor's/Sub Terra's, then it should be good enough, and might well be received better by an Italian market (and also vandalised better as well)...

Screamscape have posted an interesting article about Raptor: Genetix.

I received an interesting lead on just what Raptor Genetix could possible be. According to the Screamscape spy network, the Nemesis: Sub-Terra attraction that opened last month at Alton Towers was first conceived for Gardaland as a fun sequel attraction to go along with the storyline developed for Raptor. According to the tale, Merlin management realized the basic story plop and attraction concept would also work perfectly at Alton Towers for the 2012 Nemesis sequel ride.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/gardaland.htm

The comic is pretty cool and could be the starter for the 2013 attraction, has Towers already had a Nemesis comic they didn't really need this also both Raptor & Nemesis have laid eggs...

Something tells me they need to get these Merlin Monsters the contraceptive pill

Would be cool if they did a Nemesis vs Raptor vs Swarm vs Krake comic! Would be better than many of the DC & Marvel comics ;)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...